Mozaic (all phases)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Re: Mozaic (all phases)

Postby Chip Whitley » May 4th, 2017, 2:21 pm

Basically all the first floor you can see in that picture (part of it us going to be enclosed bike parking)
I have a hard time seeing retail doing well facing the Greenway. The two blocks of 29th to the east are essentially an alley for Cub and Planned Parenthood. Not much traffic going through there....

Just my gut... Hope I'm wrong.
I actually don't mind the new Mozaic phase look but I agree that retail probably won't be great if it's facing the Greenway. Advertising can help that though.

Speaking of the Planned Parenthood lot, I'd love to see that whole lot get re-developed. That lot is prime for re-development.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 4th, 2017, 2:34 pm

I dunno, I think retail could do ok there if it's the right thing. There's pretty good foot traffic over the Girard pedestrian bridge.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » May 4th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Speaking of the Planned Parenthood lot, I'd love to see that whole lot get re-developed. That lot is prime for re-development.
A comic book store of 40 years getting priced out of Uptown is a tragedy. Planned Parenthood getting priced out could actually hurt a lot of people. Let's develop the Arby's lot before chomping at the bit for the Planned Parenthood one.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 4th, 2017, 4:29 pm

Planned Parenthood owns their parcel, so they'd be in the driver's seat of any theoretical redevelopment.

(Curiously, they don't own the little parking lot to the south of their building, and more curiously, a good chunk of that parking lot appears to be built in Lagoon Avenue ROW.)

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 4th, 2017, 7:43 pm

The one idea they had for a tenant facing the greenway was something like an exercise gym, so it doesn't have to be high visibility. They're also kind of extending the plaza back there as well as having a bike line to connect Fremont to Girard and the Girard plaza area.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 5th, 2017, 11:41 am

Huh. I was not aware of a shortage of exercise gyms in the area, especially given all the new apartments buildings.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » May 5th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Specialty gyms are all the rage these days—OrangeTheory and the like that can charge top dollar for high-intensity classes.

But even if you're looking for a normal gym and live in a fancy new building (and most people in the area don't), the provided gyms aren't always all that great.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 5th, 2017, 1:38 pm

I figured most people not living in fancy new apartments were going to the Y or Snap or LA.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 5th, 2017, 2:21 pm

Could well be that the gym space is just part of the amenities for office tenants.

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » May 6th, 2017, 8:35 am

Specialty gyms are all the rage these days—OrangeTheory and the like that can charge top dollar for high-intensity classes.

But even if you're looking for a normal gym and live in a fancy new building (and most people in the area don't), the provided gyms aren't always all that great.
I just wish there were more quality inexpensive community center type gyms/athletics centers instead of fancy specialty. The city I lived in before moving here built this great new community center that had basically all the amenities of a Y (http://www.provo.org/community/recreation-center) and was very modern and high quality. Lap pool, kiddie area pool, whole area of exercise machines and weights, elevated track that went up around the edges of the several gymnasiums, and lots of rooms for community use. When it opened up several years ago it cost my wife and I about $35 total for the two of us. Now here, even at the Y it's over $100 for the two of us. Wish it was a little cheaper...

LyndaleHoosier
Metrodome

Postby LyndaleHoosier » May 8th, 2017, 7:49 pm

Basically all the first floor you can see in that picture (part of it us going to be enclosed bike parking)
I have a hard time seeing retail doing well facing the Greenway. The two blocks of 29th to the east are essentially an alley for Cub and Planned Parenthood. Not much traffic going through there....

Just my gut... Hope I'm wrong.
True, but across the greenway there is the promenade that runs from Aldrich to Girard and then down into the ditch, which gets a ton of foot traffic. Also, people use the Girard Ave footbridge to cross the greenway right there and through the courtyard, so it may work to have some small retail in that space. Let's hope it works!

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » May 17th, 2017, 1:33 pm

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 17th, 2017, 2:31 pm

Why do those renderings all have pinstripes through them? It makes them all look pretty bad, certainly to the point where it's hard to know exactly what the color palate will look like.

I liked the CorTen a lot better.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 17th, 2017, 2:43 pm

Why do those renderings all have pinstripes through them? It makes them all look pretty bad, certainly to the point where it's hard to know exactly what the color palate will look like.

I liked the CorTen a lot better.
It doesn't show up with stripes for me...

But I'm pretty sure the material they are using is going to be semi holographic, like the material on the U's children's hospital.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 17th, 2017, 2:56 pm

I actually like this color palette better than the original, even if the narrow sides of the building are a little less flattering.

Can anyone explain the parking connection between the existing ramp and the new building? Is that a below-grade tunnel for the current ramp to use the new sub-grade as the exit point? If so, does it already exist? I'll be honest, keeping that entrance off Lagoon to the existing ramp is my least favorite thing about the proposal.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 8th, 2017, 10:22 pm

I split the Planned Parenthood talk off to its own thread.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » August 9th, 2017, 8:27 am

I was by the property the other day, and I noticed that the lot is pretty much torn up. I can't remember, has this been through the planning commission yet? Do they need any more approvals before starting construction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » August 10th, 2017, 9:08 am

I was by the property the other day, and I noticed that the lot is pretty much torn up. I can't remember, has this been through the planning commission yet? Do they need any more approvals before starting construction?
Looks like crews are working again. This time it looks like real construction. The rendering is up on site with a "Late 2018" project completion date.
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

GILBball
Metrodome

Postby GILBball » October 4th, 2017, 12:27 pm

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet, but there is a tower crane up at this site.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 4th, 2017, 7:59 pm

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet, but there is a tower crane up at this site.
Awesome news! This is an exciting project! Uptown seems to have a decent number of projects in bloom again (there was a relative lull after the initial boom from 2010-2014 or so).