Nicollet Mall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby SurlyLHT » June 8th, 2017, 2:02 pm

I walked down the Mall today and saw that their homes are ready. I also noticed that most of the curbs have been installed giving us an idea of what the road will be like when finished.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 9th, 2017, 11:32 am

So as I was walking on Nicollet, I was thinking...I hope this concrete doesn't turn out to be a disaster. As it is, the light color already shows stains/gum super easy...but what about deterioration? I am sure they have thought of this, but what is to stop the etched parts from being the point at which deterioration starts once salt is put down? Is there a special coating? Any concrete experts? lol

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » June 9th, 2017, 1:09 pm

That's funny. Like they've given it any forethought...

Most of the sealers and impregnators would just wear off after time and make it look worse. Even honing it, like they have at Home Depot, wears after a while, especially when left to the elements.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 9th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Yeah, I am afraid it will be...not good. But if it isn't, I wonder if the contractor or designer will have any liability...

All hypothetical..maybe it will be just fine.

scottiem
City Center

Postby scottiem » June 9th, 2017, 3:33 pm

The concrete should be okay with the etching, as the depth of the etching is so minimal. That said, the concrete is a downgrade from pavers, plain and simple. Pavers tend to last way longer, and can be easily repaired to look new. Question: Not if, but when, future upgrades to underground utilities are made in a few years, will the sidewalk repair crews even color match or etch the surface? I hope so, but I doubt it. Lately I've been seeing very sloppy patch jobs, even as bad as patching asphalt where the rest of the sidewalk is concrete.

EDIT: No sealers should be needed for this concrete, and as someone mentioned, sealers can create their own maintenance issue in the future. An example is the sealed stamped concrete sidewalks that (used to?) be in front of the Hyatt--they looked terrible because it wasn't ever resealed.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » June 9th, 2017, 4:11 pm

The concrete will be fine. The gum and staining can be easily pressure washed off.

DID is out late pressure washing sidewalks all the time.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 9th, 2017, 4:28 pm

There are some poems in the concrete on the south end that must have been there for years and they still look fine. Does anyone know if pavers will be used at all? Around 5th or 6th etc...I noticed a couple pallets of them at the site.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » June 21st, 2017, 1:33 pm

Walked the mall down by Xcel today and am completely disappointed they couldn't find a way to save all those mature crab apple trees. Those were great trees!

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 21st, 2017, 1:56 pm

Oh a lot of those were looking pretty sad the past few years....

I just hope all these large trees they are planting do alright. I know they have paid more attention to planting conditions, but a couple of the chosen species are not ideal.

PS, it looks like most of the trees and plants are in on the Hyatt block. Now I just hope they do well, and aren't allowed to become overgrown with weeds. I also wonder if they will have summer planters with annuals as they always have.

ko123
City Center

Postby ko123 » June 22nd, 2017, 6:22 am

I always liked this portion of Sibley in Lowertown. It's not there anymore, I think it was torn out during construction of the Union Depot station.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 22nd, 2017, 10:00 am

Nope, still there.

spiker1017
Block E

Postby spiker1017 » July 10th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Trees are going in today on the block of the Local and Barrio. I was impressed with the number and size of trees on the block - one was taller than the skyway windows.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » July 10th, 2017, 4:00 pm

Trees are going in today on the block of the Local and Barrio. I was impressed with the number and size of trees on the block - one was taller than the skyway windows.
Did they have the good sense to put in a variety of tree sizes so that we can enjoy the larger ones while they survive (large tree transplants often don't live as long) and while the smaller transplants grow to full size? Also so that they won't all need to be replaced at the same time?

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » August 8th, 2017, 11:52 am

They have a crane installing something massive on Nicollet outside WCCO. It's 4 crome poles that are together at the base, and split about 10 feet up into an inverted pyramid. I don't recall seeing this in the design anywhere and I just looked through the project website and nothing matches. Any one know what this is supposed to be?

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » August 8th, 2017, 11:53 am

should have looked here first. It's this thing in picture 1 that is being installed today. TERRIBLE rendering. This picture makes it look like it will be in the middle of a pocket park. It's on a small section of sidewalk infront of WCCO.

moose
Block E

Postby moose » August 11th, 2017, 10:59 am

I'm really hoping that Nic Mall is filled with new retail and restaurants. these stores and restaurants that are there are so run-of-the-mill, so basic. like what exists there now, GNC? marshalls? wow I'm trembling in excitement ...not

Im hoping to see a type of shopping and dining that we can't find else where in MN. higher end stuff would be amazing, like Prada, Gucci, Tumi, Burberry, Patagonia or underamour store would be amazing. in my dreams my fav fast fashion outlets, top shop and Zara will open locations downtown

also I think home goods and furniture stores would do very well here bc of the influx of residential buildings springing up in the area.
are there any hotels on the mall?

the NM needs a reinvention, not just a makeover. I hope it can be a destination and attraction. I hope to see a galaxy of lighting and storefront signage. and a heavy bustle through the street, not only during work/school hours but long after as well. a few 24hr 7/11 scattered throughout the downtown area some more bars. the potential is huge but does Downtown have the economy or appeal to support all this? hmm idk, it would be a gamble for all parties involved, I'm just dreaming.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 11th, 2017, 11:45 am

I don't think the Mall has a future (at least near to mid range) as a high end shopping destination. Most of those shoppers already live out west or south with access to the Galleria and West End (and even Uptown) easier than downtown.

In other words, there's a reason that Marshalls is one of the few that have thrived, and why we have Sacks off Fifth (which is oddly expensive anyway) and Nordstrom Rack is opening up: customers are mostly either arriving on buses from the north or shopping while on break from work. That's people who need something, not people who are out to splurge.

Furniture doesn't make much sense to me as those are low-frequency purchases and you're mostly not going to be walking home with your purchase. Nonetheless, Rosenthal's has been there for a long time.

There are no hotels directly on the mall, but the Marriott, Radisson Blu, Marquette and Westin are each less than a block off and a bunch more not too much farther away. There's also no housing on Nicollet between 4th and 12th streets.

Beyond the ongoing need to add even more residents, the challenge for reinvigorating the Mall is going to be storefronts & doors. There aren't nearly enough and there aren't many opportunities to add them.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 11th, 2017, 12:16 pm

...the challenge for reinvigorating the Mall is going to be storefronts & doors. There aren't nearly enough and there aren't many opportunities to add them.
It's a little bit of a chicken-and-egg thing, but if there were retail demand at lease rates that justified it, property owners would very quickly make the modifications to accommodate more retail doors on the mall.

I do think that the residential infill that's happening on the north end of the mall could be a difference maker.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 11th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Nitpick: the Mall goes all the way to Grant, and the Hyatt and Millennium hotels are on it, albeit on the southenmost block that isn't closed to cars.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 11th, 2017, 12:46 pm

It's a little bit of a chicken-and-egg thing, but if there were retail demand at lease rates that justified it, property owners would very quickly make the modifications to accommodate more retail doors on the mall.
Maybe, but I was going to say that I didn't think there are that many buildings that can be modified or haven't been going in the other direction (e.g., Xcel and Centerpoint). But Renaissance Square, the former Barnes * Noble and Dayton's could be as could maybe City Center with major renovation. does. Really makes you think what happens to the Dayton's space is really important.
I do think that the residential infill that's happening on the north end of the mall could be a difference maker.
Yes, but more please.