Minneapolis Mayoral Election 2017

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
twincitizen

Re: Minneapolis Mayoral Election 2017

Postby twincitizen » June 8th, 2017, 11:09 am

Hoch and/or Dehn probably get out of the race if they have a really weak showing at the convention, right? Not necessarily because they don't think they could win, but because with underwhelming support, they likely can't bankroll an effective campaign for another 4 months. If there's no money to campaign, you might as well quit now.

P.S. Jacob Frey personally came to my door last night. Although I've defended Betsy on these here pages, I could be swayed. I'll still likely vote "no endorsement" at the convention, as I resent the entire idea in principle

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 8th, 2017, 12:22 pm

About Frey - what are the arguments for electing him? I admit to some uncomfortableness with him but I can't really put my finger on it. I guess maybe it's something to do with a sense that he obviously supports a lot of development but I've not seen the same level of concern for the impacts of that on existing communities, particularly communities of color.

I also just don't know him. Right now he's probably 3 or 4 on my list but he could move up if I better understood what he stands for. His campaign literature is almost as content-free as Hoch's.

hiawather
Metrodome

Postby hiawather » June 8th, 2017, 1:50 pm

The whole field is pretty undifferentiated, making this perhaps the dullest election I've seen in a while. The policy differences between the candidates are pretty insignificant as far as I can see, leaving us to decide based on who can 'get it done' better. That seems to require some knowledge of the arcana of running city government, which is pretty difficult to campaign on in a general election.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 13th, 2017, 9:44 pm

It strikes me that one advantage of the 2013 clown car is that it gave mayoral forum organizers latitude to limit participation down to reasonably serious candidates. This forum on climate resilience and energy access, for example, looks like it'll be interesting, but it would be more interesting if they weren't going to spend a bunch of time letting Carney drone on about filling every street with tiny buses or Sparrow talk about... whatever he talks about.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 23rd, 2017, 10:11 am

Somehow I just don't think Hoch is this dumb:

They have four posts about how great Hoch (stolen) ad is, so....

bermanp7
Block E

Postby bermanp7 » June 27th, 2017, 12:02 pm

CM Bender has endorsed Mayor Hodges for re-election. Lisa writes: "I support Mayor Hodges because she is the proven and strong progressive leader our city needs. Betsy governs with integrity, sticking to the values she ran on four years ago and building broader support for change. At a time when the role of cities has expanded to tackle our society's toughest problems, Mayor Hodges has been consistent, thoughtful, and creative in her leadership. In partnership with a more progressive City Council, she will accomplish even more in our next term. I look forward to continuing to work together on the transformational change that will benefit all residents of Minneapolis."

Source: http://betsyhodges.org/endorsements/

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 27th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Meanwhile:

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 27th, 2017, 2:33 pm

This endorsement surprised me given the strong opposition to Betsy by many in the base. I expected most CMs to stay out of it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 27th, 2017, 3:21 pm

David I'm assuming mean Bender's endorsement of Hodges (and not Cano apparently making calls for Frey).

I was surprised to, but honestly, it's the endorsement I most care about. Not having any actual dealings at city hall, I find it hard to have any idea what's going on behind closed doors, but Bender seems to be the one player I consistently agree with.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 27th, 2017, 3:40 pm

Yeah, I was talking about Bender. Tapatalk would not let me view the tweet.

The endorsement makes me think a little better about making Betsy my #3 or so but I'm still with Dehn. Dehn has been aligned with my values on almost everything. Betsy has stumbled in some critical areas.

Any speculation on Cano's calculus here? Cano and Frey seem pretty ideologically far apart. Is she going for a no endorsement result?

bivaly
Block E

Postby bivaly » June 28th, 2017, 7:13 pm

Cano is an opportunist. Her support for Frey for mayor and lack of support for Flisrand for council (read: support for Goodman) speaks to the huge disparity between her Facebook politicking and her actual strategy. Given, this is also an individual who has not passed a single piece of legislation and who has burned bridges with just about every person she's worked with.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 29th, 2017, 10:17 am

The endorsement makes me think a little better about making Betsy my #3 or so but I'm still with Dehn. Dehn has been aligned with my values on almost everything. Betsy has stumbled in some critical areas.
Betsy stumbled a bit, in my opinion, on the Four Precinct shutdown, but I think my opinion is slightly unfair on that point. I think she handled it far, far better than most mayors would and in conflict with what I'm pretty sure the police chief and department wanted to do.

I would have liked her to be stronger still, of course.
Is she going for a no endorsement result?
Isn't that almost certainly assured anyway?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 29th, 2017, 10:36 am

Betsy stumbled a bit, in my opinion, on the Four Precinct shutdown, but I think my opinion is slightly unfair on that point. I think she handled it far, far better than most mayors would and in conflict with what I'm pretty sure the police chief and department wanted to do.
I mostly agree. I fault her *much* more on SWLRT and generally pretty much ignoring the transit needs of the city. She is not out there advocating as far as I can tell and that's one of the primary roles of the mayor. We have Midtown just sitting there and nary a peep about it. Nothing about W. Broadway either. She's been great on bikes, but mostly for downtown and South(west) Minneapolis.

Dehn gets W. Broadway, or at least he did a decade ago. He understands the need for affordable small business space there. My guess is that he would preference that over Midtown LRT and I would be perfectly happy with that. I've come around on the Nicollet streetcar but I don't have any idea where he stands on it.

I think he probably also gets aBRT. I don't know if he participated in the Penn Ave. Community Works program but I know he talks to people who did. A lot of people I trust say he knows what's what.

I really do not think Frey gets it beyond redevelopment as such and general urbanism talking points. Redevelopment is great but we have to be about a lot more than simply getting cranes in the air and widening sidewalks a bit. But I admit I do not know anything about him other than what's in the news, social media and other public sources so maybe I'm being unfair.

WHS
Landmark Center

Postby WHS » July 7th, 2017, 10:16 am

I'm a one-issue voter - housing segregation, and what we're going to do about it - and I've made a point of trying to speak to each candidate and asking their plans.

Thus far, Frey is unequivocally the strongest candidate on the issue. He and Hoch were the only candidates who clearly identified fair housing and segregation as a separate problem from "the affordable housing crisis," and unlike Hoch, he spoke directly and specifically in favor of providing affordable housing in high-income areas within the city. (Hoch was surprisingly strong on the issue in certain respects - particularly the need for regional cooperation - but that position, taken in isolation, can also serve as a dodge.)

A few other aspects of Frey's position impressed me: his willingness to speak directly to racial segregation (most people try to avoid both words), his statement that gentrification is not a cause of segregation unless it is accompanied by identifiable displacement, his detailed narrative of how the city's own historical land use policies are reflected present-day segregation, and his interest - which he brought up of his own accord - in creating dedicated fair housing staff at the city level.

Hodges is a strange case. She touted her own concern with the issues - and I have no reason to doubt her - but her actual tenure is less encouraging. I've been engaged, directly or indirectly, with virtually all of the city's fair housing activity over the past four years, and city staff have remained resistant to the idea that it has any role in addressing these problems beyond housing production. While there's only so much the mayor's office can do on its own, city leadership does need to recognize Minneapolis's continued complicity in creating segregation - and only one candidate I've spoken to has done so.

Edit: I should add, I haven't spoken to Dehn. For whatever reason, his volunteers aren't calling me.

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » July 8th, 2017, 8:34 pm

This convention would go by so much faster it people would learn to shut up for once and listen to the people on stand/at the mics. :/ That and if the convention chairs would stick to their guns on timekeeping, don't say "10 minutes till we freeze the floor" and then 10 minutes later get up and remind everyone that the "floor will be freezing in 10 minutes". -facepalm- I can't believe it's dark outside and we're still here.

I love me some politics but good god there are so many ways this could be improved.

On a sidenote, I can't believe we passed the time extension for speeches from 5 to 10. If you're a delegate, do your research, it's your civic duty. We shouldn't need 10 minute speeches at convention.

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » July 8th, 2017, 11:06 pm

Welp, all these hours later and no endorsement for mayor. Nobody got enough. Parks district 3 was the same with Hassan/Gurhan who were basically 50/50 and never got over the threshold

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 9th, 2017, 9:46 am

Maybe we can just, like, not do it in 2021.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » July 9th, 2017, 10:19 am

Maybe we can just, like, not do it in 2021.
I feel like all the cumbersome bs that causes these things to take so long disenfranchises people and I hope this is addressed. I recognize that I am privileged and can just drop everything to sit here for 16 hours but not everyone has that freedom and this process is disenfranchising those people. What about those who may have small children, or who may not have the means to take a ton of time away from a job or other responsibilities, or the elderly who are in pain from sitting there for so long, or even just those that want to participate but can't afford 16 hours of their free time for it. My wife for example would love to come do delegate stuff and be part of conventions but if she has to sit around for that long waiting for people to take this seriously and pay attention so we can get a move on it just turns her off to the whole thing.

WHS
Landmark Center

Postby WHS » July 10th, 2017, 8:39 am

The convention was a nightmare, but contra conventional wisdom on here, it's not clear to me that a primary is a significantly more participatory process. Younger voters and party activists are, if anything, less represented in a primary (at least proportionally) and candidates aren't forced to engage nearly as directly. The caucus/convention system, unwieldy as it is, gives politically concerned individuals and groups a formal, structured path deep into the process. In a primary, unless you know the right people at a campaign, or have a LOT of money for organizing, messaging, and GOTV, you really only get to interface with the party system in the ballot booth. That's actually pretty paltry as far political engagement goes - "Thank you for your vote, citizen" at the very end of the road with no realistic means of influencing anything up until that point.

Edit: with that said, the DFL would be well-advised to streamline the convention system to bring the good parts to the forefront and minimize the sort of nonsense that derailed things on Saturday. You have 1200 delegates in a room and any one of them can bring the entire thing crashing to a halt for at least half an hour by making an unexpected motion. That's insane.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 10th, 2017, 8:44 am

The beauty is that we don't need to have a primary -- we have Ranked Choice Voting. Everybody gets to go before the voters, and there's no need for a group of busybodies (be they caucus goers or primary voters) to limit the candidates on the general election ballot.