Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby mnmike » May 12th, 2017, 2:25 pm

It looks like Nordstrom Rack is walling off most of the windows...hopefully they will have lots of displays. I was hoping the storefront would be more transparent.

Also, it always makes me irrationally angry that Banana republic has no signage/display at all on their windows facing Nicollet. They used to have a little display on the skyway level facing 7th, but they even covered that and now it is just a little sign...and you can see through the frosted windows that they use the space for storage. Just drives me nuts...you would think they would at least have a sign facing the Nic and 7th corner so that people on the street and in other skyways could see they are there! Anyway, they will probably close before they would do a remodel, so I guess it is what it is. End random rant:)

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » July 10th, 2017, 12:24 pm

The Target liquor store is now open.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 21st, 2017, 2:16 pm

Some good news regarding small retail spaces. Le Cache, a convenient store, is opening at 510 Marquette right in front of the Nicollet Mall LRT station.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 21st, 2017, 4:09 pm

Cool. That makes two businesses (Nic on Fifth Starbucks is the other) that have gone with street frontage for their main space/entrance and just a little, easily missed connection to the building's skyway lobby. Hope it catches on, rather than having more stuff like Kisa.

Also in downtown retail(ish) news:
There's a new dentist in the ground floor of the Baker block, right under the skyway to Northstar.
Roti opened this week in the IDS Center, getting it back down to a single (though huge) vacant space.
The Sports Authority space will become the Superb Owl Volunteer Center... which I guess at least activates the space through February. Better than nothing.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 21st, 2017, 4:27 pm

I think Kisa is closing...on the directory it now says the store name, but also "space for lease" next to it. Wouldn't surprise me...never anyone there, especially since moving downstairs.

moose
Block E

Postby moose » July 23rd, 2017, 6:48 pm

Some good news regarding small retail spaces. Le Cache, a convenient store, is opening at 510 Marquette right in front of the Nicollet Mall LRT station.
amazing! its the small spaces that really fill out an area especially if they are a place people go when they are in NEED of something,

moose
Block E

Postby moose » July 23rd, 2017, 6:52 pm

I was really hoping to see a dunkin donuts in downtown [there were supposedly coming to the cities, I haven't seen any], I think the space between Nicollet Mall Station and Warehouse Station is a great location, I think there are some empty storefronts there that need filling, :]

jonnyengel
Block E

Postby jonnyengel » July 24th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Northern Coffeeworks opened up on Washington in the old comic store! It's awesome and serves coffee, beer, wine, and food (breakfast through dinner). Great addition to an already awesome neighborhood!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 9th, 2017, 11:35 am

In 'surprised it hadn't happened already' news, Skyway Liquors, in 6 Quebec, has closed.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » August 9th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Also Rund's Market on North 1st Street has closed. I'm surprised it made it so long after Whole Foods opened, but it's still sad to see neighborhood scale convenience retail close.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 9th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Is that neighborhood convenience store on the street level of Churchill (near post office) still open? That's even closer to Whole Foods.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 9th, 2017, 12:28 pm

It is, at least as of a couple months ago. The bottle shop is still open as well, as far as I know.

I wonder if something else is going on at Heritage Landing. It could certainly be a coincidence, but having both of their retail tenants abruptly close within a couple months of each other is a little strange.

Edit: there's still a tailor there, for now.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 9th, 2017, 3:08 pm

That's too bad. I went there a couple of times when visiting friends in the North Loop. They always seemed to have a good variety of items and the prices were reasonable.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 30th, 2017, 2:56 pm

I think Kisa is closing...on the directory it now says the store name, but also "space for lease" next to it. Wouldn't surprise me...never anyone there, especially since moving downstairs.
Kisa is apparently now moving into the skyway level of Gaviidae. Which I guess is fine, since they never bothered to open the street door they had in RBC Plaza anyway.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 30th, 2017, 3:12 pm

That is a much better location for them! Lots more traffic...I'd like to see them survive.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 7th, 2017, 7:26 am

Nordstrom Rack is now open. As expected, every square foot of window out to Nicollet or 7th is blocked by a display case. That being said, it's a downtown retailer with a fairly prominent door on to Nicollet, and it adds a quasi-public restroom to the IDS Center.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 23rd, 2017, 3:07 pm

Wattson Electric Bikes has opened up next to Grumpy's on Washington.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 10th, 2017, 7:51 am

It appears The Washington (formerly sex world) is getting a bank of America! That fills their retail spaces.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » November 10th, 2017, 8:55 am

Second (?) retail banking operation in the North Loop and the only one between Hennepin and the RR tracks. Pretty significant hole being filled geographically and in the web of amenities that make a full service neighborhood.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 10th, 2017, 9:18 am

This is the ATM only "branch" that they've been fighting with city zoning about, right? Any idea how that supported out?