Planned Parenthood - New Uptown Clinic (1210 Lagoon Ave)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
EOst
Capella Tower

Planned Parenthood - New Uptown Clinic (1210 Lagoon Ave)

Postby EOst » August 7th, 2017, 9:55 am

Not Mozaic, but this is the last place this parcel was talked about:

http://www.citypages.com/news/planned-p ... /439004473
A recent $6.5 million donation will help pay for replacing the existing clinic with a "state of the art" facility, Planned Parenthood Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota announced Monday morning.

The donation came from "a very generous couple in this community." Though the statement didn't reveal their identities, regional president Sarah Stoesz described the pair as "fierce defenders of making sure women get the health care they need, no matter what."

Planned Parenthood is raising money as part of a "facilities expansion" for all 19 of its clinics in the three-state region, but this check is earmarked for the Minneapolis clinic on Lagoon Avenue. With some 13,000 women receiving treatment each year, the Uptown site is Planned Parenthood's busiest clinic in the state.

Said Stoesz: “We are incredibly grateful. This gift will ensure that the expert reproductive health care that is our hallmark will be provided in a beautiful, welcoming and contemporary Uptown clinic.”

The announcement did not specify when construction on the new clinic would begin, or how patient care in that neighborhood would be handled during the interruption of service.

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Mozaic (all phases)

Postby David Greene » August 7th, 2017, 1:13 pm

No housing as part of the project? That would be a huge missed opportunity.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » August 8th, 2017, 8:41 am

:roll: They just got a big check. They don't have a project to speak of yet.
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 8th, 2017, 10:22 am

Scott Dibble pointed out to me that PP may have safety guarantee requirements that preclude a mixed-use development. I also suspect that is the case.

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » August 8th, 2017, 11:55 am

Scott Dibble pointed out to me that PP may have safety guarantee requirements that preclude a mixed-use development. I also suspect that is the case.
That sucks. The PP location and whatever that building is next to it are prime for re-development. If they can't do mixed-use, I wonder if they sell the location and move somewhere else in Uptown. Maybe that's wishful thinking? I just feel like they could move a couple blocks away and make a decent amount on selling the land.

Silophant

Re: Planned Parenthood - New Uptown Clinic

Postby Silophant » August 8th, 2017, 10:30 pm

Time for this to be in its own thread.

Star Tribune article.

I agree that, ideally, the new clinic would be mixed-use, or a couple blocks away (giving PP even more money to work with), or, hell, why not both? But that article makes it seem like they've already got plans for a new, three-story clinic on the existing site. Hopefully it at least gets better street frontage than the current building.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 8th, 2017, 10:43 pm

In my wish, I’d like to have them build near Lake and Nicollet (close to coming BRT and highway access and still very transit accessible) and sell off this site to the highest bidder.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 9th, 2017, 8:09 am

PP doesn't own the Acme warehouse lot next door, does it? Could still be an opportunity for mixed-use on the block, even if not for this parcel.

The one in Saint Paul has decent street frontage, though that's obviously complicated a bit by their security concerns.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » August 9th, 2017, 8:26 am

Can someone give an address for the property we are talking about? I'm really confused. Where exactly is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 9th, 2017, 8:53 am

1210 Lagoon Ave, right across Emerson from the Uptown Cub.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Re: Planned Parenthood - New Uptown Clinic (1210 Lagoon Ave)

Postby RailBaronYarr » August 9th, 2017, 9:12 am

I think it was discussed a long time ago, but another wrinkle in the redevelopment of this particular lot, even for PP, is that they don't own the parking lot along Lagoon, only the land under the building and back parking (right? county records show a different owner). I hope that whatever they're doing, they secure the parking lot out front.

I had the same thought as Anondson, that a facility over by the future 35W transit station might make a lot of sense from a regional perspective. But I also like the fact that PP has a presence in Uptown proper, and if the new facility is more than just a 3-story clinic (thinking BMR housing, transitional housing, or something else that somewhat meshes with PP's core mission) I like it even more so.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 9th, 2017, 9:37 am

I thought I had heard PP doesn't actually perform abortions at this location... Anyone know with certainty? The answer to that question is going to shape this clinic development more than anything else. If yes, then it's almost guaranteed to be a standalone single-use where they can build out the necessary security measures, secure employee entry & parking, etc (see new HQ facility on University). If no, then it would seem that PP could go into just about any standard retail/med office space (see Richfield location - a strip mall). There is no plausible scenario where PP goes into a mixed use building with residential above. I could see them going into a development like Uptown Row, with other med/office/retail space.

From a land use perspective, the ideal scenario would be that they move into Mozaic East and sell their current property for redevelopment. But it's not hard to figure why PP would want to own their property (exempt from property taxes, avoid future rent increases, etc.) If PP is indeed building new on their existing property, I think the best we can hope for is a well-designed 2-3 story building with decent frontage on Lagoon, accepting that it will probably be single-user. Bonus points if they build out some office space for another non-profit org or something like that.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 9th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Do you think it's that different for them? Seems like you wouldn't want to rely on the crazies to be aware of what takes place as a particular facility (although you're certainly right that the new HQ looks way more secure than this existing facility).

MobJob
Block E

Postby MobJob » August 9th, 2017, 2:43 pm

I agree with amiller. If none of us are aware of what procedures take place there, you can't expect protesters to be. I would think PP would err on the side of more security at a new facility to mitigate that risk.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 9th, 2017, 9:29 pm

I'd think with an entity like this where it's such a magnet for people across the state/region that its location wouldn't have to be at a major street intersection with excellent frontage, but rather maybe just off the beaten path and even sort of hidden (to keep a lower profile). If people need the service, they'll find the location.....it's not something that people would just pop into on a whim (hopefully!). Similarly, no matter where my primary physician's clinic is, I'll find it. It doesn't have to be at Lake and Hennepin or something for me to be willing to visit my doc.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » August 12th, 2017, 9:27 am

In reading a lot of the posts, it seems like we are having a discussion that is equating PP and abortions. For my own clairty, I want to say that PP does a lot of services, and the vast majority of them are for routine heath. I think the majority of its services would be great to have as non-planned walk-ins, kind of like a university student health center, but for the neighborhood.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 12th, 2017, 11:19 am

Oh I had no idea. I always equated Planned Parenthood to an abortion clinic.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » August 12th, 2017, 5:42 pm

While I hope this project is built with better urban design than what is currently there, I think the social good that comes from Planned Parenthood far outweighs my desire for a more urban environment. I care more about people having good access to their services, than about having four floors of housing above them. Not everything has to be about density.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 23rd, 2018, 3:26 pm

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » August 27th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Thanks for the link. Sort of a off topic question, but what is the best way to search the Minneapolis site for plans like this? Is there some sort of secret that I just don't know about?

Thanks