DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby Didier » December 18th, 2012, 12:42 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that the Vikings stadium will almost certainly have some feature opening up on its west side to the skyline, and whatever goes in here will be pretty much front and center. I'm not expecting anything massive, but maybe that could be motivation to do something unique?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 18th, 2012, 12:46 pm

Personally, I wonder how the city could not see this as 'core'?
If I were to guess, I'd say probably because of their understanding of geography, politics, and history.
Geography: Next to Mill City, one of the NEWest nicest neighborhoods in the DT area, Next to the NEW light rail lines, the only area with a lot of easy to develop surface lots. The city is looking to Re-vamp Washington Ave to the East, and the 5th ave corridor as the 'purple walk' (or whatever).

Politics: The ones protecting the Nicollet area from DTE developments that the Mayor says he wants to get rid of so that DTE can develop? The same city the strib says is looking for a high density future?

History: probably shouldn't apply because it was all torn down, and city culture in the US is re-urbanizing, and all of the NEW factors in the area.

I'm not saying you (or anyone on the site) wouldn't advocate for taller buildings, but I can't see how the City wouldn't see DTE as the place where the DT Core would expand and limit building height, It's obviously not going to go to NE, It's not going to Loring or Uptown, and most likely isn't going to North Loop, so where else would we go? I'd like to shake any city planner who would limit the height of those blocks if a private developer/bank are going to gift the city with great new architecture/amenities. When was the last chance Minneapolis has had chance to build some decent Class A office space, 1-2 blocks out of the 'historic' core or not? It's already been over a decade...

I'm also not saying I think it's going to happen, I just think it's the best way to go, since WF is obviously aware of the sites that are available in the core, but is potentially opting for something east. They and Ryan must see the value. It would be a same to see the city limit it, then regret it years later.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 18th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Is that Indy?
Yeah, if only ;) I'm pretty sure it's a Beijing TV station or something.
There's some alien ship-looking building in an Indianapolis suburb along I-465 that looks kind of like that.....which is why I asked.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » December 18th, 2012, 1:25 pm

Its nice to discuss a development, and not have to think "wait a minute, we can't build here, we might want to build a STADIUM on these blocks".

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 18th, 2012, 1:30 pm

I don't think the City is going to put up much of any resistance for this site. The City has been trying to push the CBD boundary Eastward for a while now and the 2025 plan for increased density, sense of place, vibrancy, etc. all points towards limiting resistance for projects in DTE -- especially if they are within the current zoning standards. I sense the ball is pretty much squarely in Wells' court. That being said, I also sense that Wells is not looking to overspend on a non-HQ, non-customer-intensive location, and if they nixed the 10th & Henn location for this location it's probably because costs were cheaper (and building tall buildings on cheap land doesn't seem to make a ton of sense financially). I see Wells as the one and only barrier towards seeing another "tall" (>450'-500') tower in Minneapolis -- not anyone else (incl. NIMBY's).

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 18th, 2012, 2:46 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that the Vikings stadium will almost certainly have some feature opening up on its west side to the skyline, and whatever goes in here will be pretty much front and center. I'm not expecting anything massive, but maybe that could be motivation to do something unique?
Yes. I agree. The parcels are really the front yard to the stadium. That will play a large role in the design of Ryan's development. And the architectural style of the new stadium ( historically referenced, futuristic, etc) will also influence Ryan's project. I think it's also important to remember they are planning other uses for these parcels which may include housing and /or a hotel. I think the developers will brainstorm many different design concepts which will include short/ tall /midrise building components. Whatever that outcome, I'm sure Ryan will want this very high profile project to be a class act.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 18th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Does anyone else think two full-block "gameday plazas" are too much?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 18th, 2012, 3:21 pm

Does anyone else think two full-block "gameday plazas" are too much?
Yes. A wasteful use of valuable land in the CBD. They aren't going to capture the magic of Rice Park or even Peavy Plaza.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » December 18th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Yes. I agree. The parcels are really the front yard to the stadium. That will play a large role in the design of Ryan's development. And the architectural style of the new stadium ( historically referenced, futuristic, etc) will also influence Ryan's project. I think it's also important to remember they are planning other uses for these parcels which may include housing and /or a hotel. I think the developers will brainstorm many different design concepts which will include short/ tall /midrise building components. Whatever that outcome, I'm sure Ryan will want this very high profile project to be a class act.
It'd be cool if Ryan and Wells Fargo built something similar to the Duke Energy Center in Charlotte. At Panthers games, the building's lights go wild when the team scores.

[BBvideo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HksS23wVMMc[/BBvideo]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 18th, 2012, 4:15 pm

That is one ugly building.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 18th, 2012, 4:21 pm

It'd be cool if Ryan and Wells Fargo built something similar to the Duke Energy Center in Charlotte. At Panthers games, the building's lights go wild when the team scores.

[BBvideo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HksS23wVMMc[/BBvideo]
Something like that would be awesome... did I miss-hear? Or are the panthers appropriately playing the Vikings in that video?

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » December 18th, 2012, 4:23 pm

It was the Titans.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 18th, 2012, 4:24 pm

I wouldn't say that...

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 18th, 2012, 4:27 pm

Different strokes.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » December 18th, 2012, 4:28 pm

I agree, I don't care for it.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » December 18th, 2012, 4:31 pm

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 18th, 2012, 4:38 pm

I really hope that's a joke ;)

Different strokes maybe, but I think Ugly is harsh...

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 18th, 2012, 6:24 pm

I would love to see a tower here that would incorporate the LRT. Something like this conceptual photo for an office tower in China. The building would be a subtle collage of forms joined together by different glass skins with a platform for the LRT below. Fun and beautiful!

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » December 18th, 2012, 8:55 pm

It looks like the Glass Tower in the Towering Inferno.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 18th, 2012, 9:37 pm

Yes. A wasteful use of valuable land in the CBD. They aren't going to capture the magic of Rice Park or even Peavy Plaza.
Couldn't have said it better.