Mall of America - Bloomington

Twin Cities Suburbs
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Mall of America - Bloomington

Postby David Greene » March 28th, 2017, 7:56 pm

There's an entrance there but it looks like unleased retail space or something.

The underground parking is not for us peons. There's limited space there. We're supposed to park with the shoppers. The building owners tout "free parking" as a perk but it's really not.

I still think we ought to have a storefront in the Mall. I mean, the Saudis can just drop by and purchase an upgrade for their weather machine or something.

mulad

Postby mulad » March 29th, 2017, 9:42 am

For the office, it's basically just VIP, visitor, and overnight worker parking under the building. It can only handle up to about 20% of the employees with the way it's divided up. The hotel and office tower share a 2-level parking structure, much of which is used for hotel parking and valet service, and remaining office parking needs to get divided among the different tenants in the building. The mall prefers that office workers use the west and east ramps, although the ramps and surface lots are supposed to get emptied out during the late overnight hours (roughly 2 am to 5 or 6 am) so they can get rid of any cars from people using the mall parking for airport service or whatever.

Cray alone could probably fill the underground spaces plus the nearest section of the north lot, and overflow a bit beyond that.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 6th, 2017, 2:49 pm

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » April 12th, 2017, 11:01 am

Nespresso is opening this summer on the first floor on the west end of the mall.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/11/fa ... 1491939944

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » April 18th, 2017, 6:56 pm

Carlo's Bakery(of Cake Boss fame) will be opening next to Shake Shack this Summer.

http://www.startribune.com/cake-boss-tv ... 419743133/
Buildings, what buildings?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 8th, 2017, 10:18 am

A look at Cray's space.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ca.html#g1

No new information, but some pretty pictures. The "neighborhood" they show is not typical. They are generally much larger but still feel small. Also, they show the big deck on the 10th floor but not the enclosed open spaces with giant windows on the other floors. Every floor has a common area with a pretty good view to the north.

And unfortunately the comments about employees' traffic aversion are correct. Our workforce skews older so while on average people were averse to moving downtown Minneapolis, I imagine site preference has a bimodal distribution.

gobezlij
City Center

Postby gobezlij » June 8th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Doors on urinal stalls? What extravagance!

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 8th, 2017, 5:11 pm

It's pretty awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » June 13th, 2017, 10:24 am

Chick Fil A is coming to Culinary on North. Couldn't tell you the date when it opens, because I couldn't find any information.
Buildings, what buildings?

moose
Block E

Postby moose » July 23rd, 2017, 8:49 pm

welp. so much for that. sears had a great run. what in the hell could replace that huge anchor? I'm nervous, could this be the beginning of the end of the moa? I hope not, I love the mall, it holds a special place in my heart. Im sure triple 5 will do something amazing if sears closes. they are a very wise and innovative company. and the mall is constantly evolving,

moose
Block E

Postby moose » July 23rd, 2017, 8:54 pm

Haven't been to a movie at MOA in forever so can't remember their layout, but they may have been built pre-stadium seating, which could mean a much more involved reconstruction than just a facelift.
yes, the theatre seats were built on a very shallow slope, if you were sitting behind a tall person, good luck.

moose
Block E

Postby moose » July 23rd, 2017, 8:58 pm

A look at Cray's space.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ca.html#g1

No new information, but some pretty pictures. The "neighborhood" they show is not typical. They are generally much larger but still feel small. Also, they show the big deck on the 10th floor but not the enclosed open spaces with giant windows on the other floors. Every floor has a common area with a pretty good view to the north.

And unfortunately the comments about employees' traffic aversion are correct. Our workforce skews older so while on average people were averse to moving downtown Minneapolis, I imagine site preference has a bimodal distribution.
I'm sorry, who are they? what do they do?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 27th, 2017, 6:35 pm

They're a supercomputer maker/.

Also coming to the Mall: City Works.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 27th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Forget the Vikings stadium and birds. The Offices @ MOA is apparently lethal to Japanese Beetles.

Let's build more of 'em!

I came out of the office today and these things were literally raining down off the glass.

mulad

Postby mulad » July 27th, 2017, 8:51 pm

There are other tenants in the office tower now. Some signage went up this past Monday indicating the MOA has space on floors 4 and 5, and that the City of Bloomington has some space at least on the 5th floor. I'm not sure if anything is on the 6th floor yet. Cray takes up about 2/3rds of the 7th floor, and all of 8, 9, and 10 (where the company lobby is located).

Malladmirer
Block E

Postby Malladmirer » August 10th, 2017, 9:56 am

MOA needs to get rid of Tony Roma's. The food is the pits and the decor is very dated. I don't think Sears is going to last much longer. When I was there the other day on the lower level there were very few people working.

The new part needs a fountain in the middle or something to jazz it up. They're finally doing something with the old Ruby Tuesday. They're putting in City Works Eatery and Pour House.

The new food court needs a Cafe Zupas. I like the new bathrooms over by Sea Life Aquarium on level 1.

Whatever happened to phase 2 at MOA? That hallway up by the movie theater needs a mural painted or something to make it look better and maybe a couple window.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » August 10th, 2017, 10:26 am

Judging by the financial troubles facing two of their major anchors and how I've noticed more and more retail space is going to things like arcades, pop up museums, and escape rooms, I imagine Phase 2 is probably not going to happen until this retailpocalypse bottoms out.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » August 10th, 2017, 10:43 am

Entertainment has always been a major part of the MOA. I don't see it as a change in direction so much as doubling down on what's already working.

I was there Saturday night and walked the main three levels after dinner. There are still a number of new stores coming in. Five Below is going to do crazy good business when that opens up.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » August 10th, 2017, 10:50 am

I don't think they're going to have a problem with existing space in the long run, but staring down the barrel of replacing Sears and maybe Macy's long term probably has them uneasy about doubling the size of the mall.

jonnyengel
Block E

Postby jonnyengel » August 10th, 2017, 10:51 am

Slightly related, but Refinery 29 had an article out today about the success of Mall of America in the looming retailpocalypse:

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/08/16721 ... y-analysis