Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Tiller
Foshay Tower

Re: Public Transit News and Current Happenings

Postby Tiller » July 28th, 2017, 4:45 pm

Would it help if the 3 was simplified into one branch? I don't know how the ridership is divided between the two, or whether a bump in frequency and simplification of the route would boost ridership enough to compensate for the decrease in coverage.

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » July 28th, 2017, 7:45 pm

Wow, MTC, way to crap on the east metro. Sure, there's less ridership, but it makes a slim network even more difficult to use for those dependent on it.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 28th, 2017, 9:17 pm

Would it help if the 3 was simplified into one branch? I don't know how the ridership is divided between the two, or whether a bump in frequency and simplification of the route would boost ridership enough to compensate for the decrease in coverage.
I doubt it. Front and Maryland are half a mile apart, there's no intermediate street, and options start looking pretty grim for parts of the area if either the A or B is eliminated.

I've suggested before turning the 3A into a crosstown into Payne-Phalen. Don't know if that would attract more or fewer riders than the current route. But it would work best if you had high-capacity transit on Rice to transfer to (at least a high-frequency bus, but preferably an aBRT) and even that isn't looking great.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » July 29th, 2017, 9:12 am

Can the Red Line now be considered "BRT creep"? The only BRT amenities are dedicated stations and a unique name, everything else just makes it a glorified bus route.

Kind of happy to see local fares on the 645, but now it'll take just a little longer to get to Wayzata or Mound. Very excited to see the 465 have weekend service (assuming trips serve South Bloomington). Overall not the greatest time to be a transit user in the Twin Cities.

jebr
Nicollet Mall

Postby jebr » July 29th, 2017, 6:23 pm

The 3A/B seems really drastic to me. Is the ridership that low that it can't support every half-hour per branch on Saturdays in St. Paul? I'd almost justify the half-hour frequency as a minimum baseline for coverage service, especially in St. Paul.

Most of the other St. Paul-side changes (which seems to be the majority of them) appear to be reductions on service that was increased after the Green Line opening. Definitely frustrating, especially with the 83's significant pullback in span of service, but I don't completely blame them for reducing the frequency to 30 minutes if ridership doesn't justify more than that. In my opinion, every-30-minute, 5 am - 1 am service should be our baseline for core city "coverage" service, with more frequency only when ridership levels require/permit it. Too bad some of the changes drop the baseline service lower than that standard, especially with a fare increase and no loss of state funding for the next two years.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » July 29th, 2017, 10:23 pm

The 3 previously was hourly on the branches (just a few years ago) and every half hour on the branches. I think the improved service on Rice (62 is every 15 min now) weakened demand, especially on the 3A. The 3A should be extended over to Maryland and Arcade or Phalen to better connect the east side and the north end, and connect to the 54, 61, and 64.

For Dan Patch, I suspect the 465 weekend service is to replace the Amazon shuttle from Cedar Riverside to Shakopee. The new 465 weekend service bypasses downtown Minneapolis (dumb in its own right) and only has trips that connect with the 495 trips that go to the Amazon facility. This is basically four or five trips that operate at shift change hours (early morning and mid afternoon).

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » July 30th, 2017, 10:01 pm

Do we know how the fare increase will change the other passes? All I've seen is increase $0.25 across the board.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » July 31st, 2017, 8:39 am

Reading through the Council agenda item, it looks like the reduced (youth/senior/medicare) fare reduction at peak hours was canned. Those passengers will remain at full fare during peak hours.

The increase is a 25 cent across the board increase, for bus, light rail, and northstar.

Metro Mobility (limited mobility service) and Transit Link (7 county dial-a-ride) are being restructured to $4.50 peak, $3.50 non-peak, and a 75-cent surcharge for trips over 15 miles. Transit Link will no longer take the unlimited ride passes for fare credit. I'm not sure about transfer rules if paying cash or stored value go-to between fixed route and dial-a-ride.

The low-income fare will be formally adopted, at $1 for any fixed route ride. IIRC, low-income people can get a special go-to card with proof of assistance, e.g. public housing rent statement or EBT card.

31 day passes go to $65 ($2 fare), $90 ($2.50 fare), $120 ($3.25), and $36 (limited mobility - $1 fare)

No more 10% bonus from stored value. This probably will result in more cash payments.

6-hour pass is gone. All day passes and the 24 hour pass up by 50 cents, downtown zone all day pass stays at $1

The 10-ride passes are going to $20.50 for adults, and $15 for the 13-17 year olds.

7 day pass will be $24.

A slideset from the CotW from two weeks ago shows Metropass increasing from $76 to $83/month, MPS from $75 to $82.50/qtr, Other high schools from $87.50 to $97/qtr, College pass from $140-175 to $165/semester, and U-Pass from $100 to $114/semester.

--

Also included is direction for staff to write a report about segmenting fares by distance and creating a reverse-commute fare category as well as a review of the low-income fare.

--
Fare change info: https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetin ... 54-SW.aspx

Some info about low-income fare program: https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetin ... -2017.aspx

Slides about special pass increases: https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetin ... 7-v-2.aspx

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » July 31st, 2017, 7:34 pm

SW Transit routes 684 and 694 will be suspended and replaced with flex circulator routes.

https://swtransit.org/route-alerts/rout ... uspension/

I like the concept, especially since it gives more coverage and service than the 694. Hopefully it works out.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » August 1st, 2017, 9:02 am

SW Transit routes 684 and 694 will be suspended and replaced with flex circulator routes.

https://swtransit.org/route-alerts/rout ... uspension/

I like the concept, especially since it gives more coverage and service than the 694. Hopefully it works out.
It's unfortunate they didn't tweak this service at all to connect with the two 578 reverse commute trips. From what I remember when I rode the 684, a significant number of riders boarded in downtown. It seems like not making that transfer easy will lose them a lot of customers.

I'm happy I don't commute out to Eden Prairie by bus anymore!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 1st, 2017, 8:06 pm

Same. Aside from the 698, they don't let ANY of their service grow or be tweaked in any way if it shows any sign of lower ridership. Demand for a bus along 494 to MOA? Nah, we tried that for 4 months without any sort of advertising and it didn't work. Private bus service, isn't is just flawless?

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » August 1st, 2017, 8:54 pm

Same. Aside from the 698, they don't let ANY of their service grow or be tweaked in any way if it shows any sign of lower ridership. Demand for a bus along 494 to MOA? Nah, we tried that for 4 months without any sort of advertising and it didn't work. Private bus service, isn't is just flawless?
To be fair, the 684 was around for at least a few years before they cut it back. And if you discount the downtown connection, this seems like a better way to serve customers by getting them closer to their destinations.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » August 7th, 2017, 6:07 pm

Overall, I think the SW Flex routes are a good idea, and might be more attractive to riders. Taking the 6 between Downtown and Southdale will probably result in an additional 25 minutes or so travel time. Riders commuting from 35W/Lake St stop are probably going to see an extra 15-25 minutes on top of that too, so this could end up pushing riders away.

Strange that the Red route is a loop. It is quite clear that the Golden Triangle and the Normandale/Best Buy segments are unique enough to get separate colors. Additionally, the fact that the bus lays over at both SW Station and Southdale means that they are truly two separate routes.

I'm not a big fan of the colors. It is unnecessarily duplicative of the LRT/BRT line scheme. Oh well.

--

SW Transit is also changing their express route schedule Sept 5th. Highlights include:
- Elimination of the North Loop routing.
- Elimination of the local tails in Chaska. Two small park and rides (Clover Fields and Walnut St) will no longer be served, but there is more than enough capacity at the other 4 ramps.
- Improved service for U of M Fall/Spring semesters.

There is still a bit of wonkyness in the schedule, such as 698 (the milk run) trips being timed to start very close to the direct expresses from Downtown (690/692/697/699) and the U of M direct buses (695). They should take a look at removing those extra trips and saving the resources or reallocating them to better service on the direct lines.

Here's the links:
http://swtransit.org/route-alerts/septe ... ulechange/
http://swtransit.org/route-alerts/route ... 98changes/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 7th, 2017, 7:16 pm

Leave it to Southwest Transit to assume all of their riders drive and park. "there is more than enough capacity at the other 4 ramps"

Clover Field and Walnut St (Downtown Chaska) are two prime walkable TOD areas. This is a big slap in the face to anyone who bought or rented a place to live in either of those walkable places because they had express transit downtown.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 12th, 2017, 9:03 pm

SunSailor coverage of the new simplification, and higher frequency, of route 9.

http://sailor.mnsun.com/2017/08/10/metr ... state-394/

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » August 17th, 2017, 6:34 am

SW Transit has adjusted the Flex schedule that will be starting on Monday.

- Added AM Red trip from Downtown Minneapolis at 6:41 am (in addition to the 5:41 am trip)
- Extended PM Red trip to Downtown Minneapolis, leaving SW Station at 5:09 PM
- The 694 route is being kept as the "SW Flex Shuttle", stopping at East Creek, SW Village, SW Station, Meridian Crossings, Best Buy, and Normandale.
- Per the latest board packet, the Chaska branches are being eliminated in the PM only. Those riders can use the SW Prime without paying the $1 transfer surcharge.

Here's the link to the new Flex schedule (annoyingly in PNG format):
http://swtransit.org/lol/plugins/cms/us ... 4-17.J.png

Vagueperson
Union Depot

Postby Vagueperson » September 9th, 2017, 2:43 pm

Research on bus routes and people's willingness to transfer.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 6416306589

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » September 14th, 2017, 1:43 pm

SW Transit adding two reverse commute round trips on the 690 (Mpls - SW Station) because of the new limited schedule/lengthy travel time of the SW Flex routes to/from Downtown Minneapolis.

https://swtransit.org/route-alerts/rout ... ernatives/

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » September 26th, 2017, 10:23 am

There is no general thread for me to put this in, so this is the next closest thing. If you want a concise, well researched and produced video on 1. Why public transit isn't good in the US and 2. Why sound transit policy is important for everyone. I highly, suggest this Wendover Productions video: https://youtu.be/-cjfTG8DbwA

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » September 27th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Anyone else having a problem with google maps and some of the bus routes? I tried to work out new a commute schedule from a new work location down in Burnsville to Normandale Community College and google maps said the only available options where solely on fridays from 7-8am. Was a bit annoying but I managed to get where I was going as well as make a rudimentary schedule by swiping a crap ton of bus pamphlets and working out departure and arrival times on a scrap piece of paper.