Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Silophant

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby Silophant » August 25th, 2017, 6:38 am

I don't think it's a FRA requirement so much as it is something that BNSF really wants. The LRT is going to run adjacent to freight tracks all the way out to Shady Oak, but the wall is only being built for the portion next to BNSF-owned track.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » August 25th, 2017, 7:10 am

Why does the wall have to be that high?

I know damn well there are plenty of examples of electric passenger trains sharing tracks with freight trains, particularly in Europe. Yes their freight trains are lighter, but so are their passenger trains.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 25th, 2017, 7:44 am

This is related to the oil trains. I guess there was also a clause in the agreement that makes it so the cities can't ban the oil trains going through the cities. It's ironic that the BNSF run Northstar line runs literally right next to the oil trains.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » September 6th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 6th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Those stations look nice. Too bad the animation really highlights how bad their location is, though.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 6th, 2017, 4:27 pm

Nice touch showing the HOV lanes congested like the standard lanes.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » September 7th, 2017, 9:36 am

Holy hell those are useless stations....

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 7th, 2017, 12:52 pm

They are excellently located for multimodal bike + transit users, however.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 7th, 2017, 12:59 pm

I think Bryn Mawr could result in redevelopment along 394 above the station. I also think that Basset Creek Valley Station could result in a broader redevelopment of that entire area as well (and possibly quicken the move of the Impound Lot or make it that the City will improve it). I want to believe that Minneapolis will want to see greater land use in these areas, along with the Royalston Station area near the Farmers Market.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 7th, 2017, 1:20 pm

Given the route we chose for SWLRT, these two stations add relatively little cost to the line (up-front, travel time). My thoughts on a multi-modal connection are roughly the same as the transit transfer argument against the routing having significant benefit to the Northside: most transit routes (current and future) will not serve these stations, but go downtown (xfer at Target Field or even Royalston) at very little time penalty. For most people looking to bike to SWLRT, it'd be just as easy/quick to head to Target Field or Royalston (especially once Olson Memorial has the cycle track built). For the small portion of people for whom biking to Bryn Mawr or BCVS is easier/quicker than getting downtown, the walking penalty won't be very great.

Not saying we shouldn't build these stations. We chose the routing we did and the BCVS in particular has a key role to play in the entire Bassett Creek area. But let's maybe not oversell the multimodal benefits, either.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 7th, 2017, 1:41 pm

I get what you're saying, but I have to disagree about the relative bike accessibility of TFS and Royalston from the Near North. Even in the best case, the Olson/N 7th route into downtown is still going to be orders of magnitude more stressful than the trails through Bryn Mawr Meadows or along Van White.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » September 7th, 2017, 1:41 pm

For anyone east of Fremont (roughly), Royalston or Target Field will be closer than Bassett Creek. For anyone north of Glenwood and west of Fremont, it will save roughly 2 minutes of biking to go to Bassett Creek (on a 10+ minute ride). So really Bassett Creek only saves significant time for the Bryn Mawr neighborhood (which happens to have a median income twice the Minneapolis average) and part of northern Lowry Hill. The Bryn Mawr stop is only closer for a tiny part of Kenwood.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » September 7th, 2017, 2:35 pm

This route and those stations are only about development, not connecting the North Side. The Met Council found a piss poor excuse by claiming it benefits North Minneapolis. I won't fight tooth and nail to stop this route as certain groups have tried, but I'm not going to pretend this will benefit North Minneapolis. The Blue Line Extension will have more benefit to North Minneapolis, but to a very limited extent.

However with that said, seeing as the commuter rail platform level of Target Field Station is already squeezed, I'm hoping there will be enough room around the Basset Creek Station to build a new regional rail hub for trains going west, but I'll stop myself from going in depth and straying off topic.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 7th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Oh no.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » September 7th, 2017, 4:31 pm

Someone will need to update those nice animations to include the "Bryn Mahr Wall".

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 7th, 2017, 4:49 pm

For anyone east of Fremont (roughly), Royalston or Target Field will be closer than Bassett Creek. For anyone north of Glenwood and west of Fremont, it will save roughly 2 minutes of biking to go to Bassett Creek (on a 10+ minute ride). So really Bassett Creek only saves significant time for the Bryn Mawr neighborhood (which happens to have a median income twice the Minneapolis average) and part of northern Lowry Hill. The Bryn Mawr stop is only closer for a tiny part of Kenwood.
Humans aren't Google Maps, and routing is affected by more than travel time. I routinely take a route that adds three miles to my ride because it's less stressful. The LRT trail along Olson Memorial will be a great piece of infrastructure for people who need it to get around, but it's not going to be particularly pleasant.

I'm not pretending there will be a ton of bike commuters to these stations. But they will be a nicer bike connection for these neighborhoods.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 7th, 2017, 8:44 pm

If they expect a lot of bikes, they'll need way more bike parking than is shown in the video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 11th, 2017, 10:54 am

Lol
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 11th, 2017, 11:15 am

MET COUNCIL CHAIR RECOMMENDS REJECTING ALL CIVIL CONSTRUCTION BIDS FOR SWLRT PROJECT, REOPENING BIDDING PROCESS THIS FALL
https://metrocouncil.org/Transportation ... VIL-C.aspx

"Pending Council approval of this action, staff will begin working on possible modifications, with a plan to reissue the procurement in October. The bids are scheduled to be opened in December and awarded in March 2018. This delays the project by four months, moving the opening of the line to 2022.

This would also delay the application for and receipt of the Full Funding Grant Agreement (FFGA) from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA). The federal share of the $1.858 billion project is $929 million. The project remains highly competitive for federal funding with a medium-high rating under federal scoring criteria. In August, 73 state lawmakers signed a letter to Transportation Secretary Chao, detailing their support for continued transit funding and the importance of the Southwest LRT project to the region."

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » September 11th, 2017, 11:18 am

I hope the rest of the council feels differently. Every delay on the FTA grant process gives congressional Republicans more time to kill transit grants