Bicycle Infrastructure

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby Qhaberl » August 16th, 2017, 9:31 am

It didn't work for them, but as with anything new there is a learning time. I think that just because China didn't get it right, doesn't mean that we can't.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Seattle.

It sounds like it's not the bike share program that's a problem, it's the people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » August 16th, 2017, 9:45 am

It sounds like it's not the bike share program that's a problem, it's the people.
That's going to be a problem no matter where schemes like this are set up. People, as a whole, suck.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » August 16th, 2017, 10:16 am

That's going to be a problem no matter where schemes like this are set up. People, as a whole, suck.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 16th, 2017, 11:23 am

If you do a quick Google Search there are plenty of articles about the success of biking sharing in China. I think a dockless system might work in Minneapolis. The Nice Ride bikes are already tracked so you could do the same with a dockless system. Also Downtown where bike sharing is popular has the DID Ambassadors to help keep the bikes in correct locations. I also have noticed that lots of people don't dock their Nice Rides and instead leave them out in front of restaurant or as I saw yesterday beside them at a table at the Commons. What thing that really cool about these bikes is that there are more affordable than current bike sharing systems.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 16th, 2017, 12:23 pm

The Nice Ride bikes are already tracked so you could do the same with a dockless system.
Are they? I thought they just track where they are docked and undocked.
I also have noticed that lots of people don't dock their Nice Rides and instead leave them out in front of restaurant or as I saw yesterday beside them at a table at the Commons.
I always hope those people understand that they are paying by the hour. ETA: Or half hour I guess if you don't have a membership.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 16th, 2017, 12:50 pm

I think they are tracking them given that Nice Ride provides that fun animated map showing where all the bikes going around the cities. I once tried telling a couple from Europe that they should move their bikes 50 feet so they don't get charged extra while they dined. Well...that failed partially due to a language barrier.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » August 16th, 2017, 1:39 pm

Where does one find that map?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 16th, 2017, 1:45 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 16th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 25th, 2017, 12:31 am

Work to begin in 2018 on a multi use trail connecting Ridgedale with Minnetonka Mills, most importantly the Lake Minnetonka Regional Trail.

http://sailor.mnsun.com/2017/08/24/minn ... oad-trail/

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 25th, 2017, 6:36 am

Work is also beginning on 94 crossing between Cedar Riverside and Downtown Mpls on Aug 28th

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 28th, 2017, 5:52 pm

Nice Ride and Our Streets are having a conversation (with Nice Ride issuing an RFP) about dockless bike share: https://www.facebook.com/events/132580497275622/

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » September 1st, 2017, 5:11 pm

Have they been marking out a bunch of new 'Bike Boulevards' around Longfellow recently? I live near Hi-Lake and suddenly like...all the streets around my house have BIKE BLVD painted on them. Idk if they were blvd's before but the markings faded or if they're actually new or what.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 2nd, 2017, 7:28 am

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 3rd, 2017, 11:03 pm

Cedar Lake Regional trail crossings in SLP at Wooddale and Belt Line have long gotten articles over bicyclists-behaving-badly, now the Blake Road and 11th Ave crossings in Hopkins get their turn with an article.

http://www.startribune.com/the-drive-st ... 442639203/

I have even tried glancing in the comments.

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » September 4th, 2017, 2:59 pm

Cedar Lake Regional trail crossings in SLP at Wooddale and Belt Line have long gotten articles over bicyclists-behaving-badly, now the Blake Road and 11th Ave crossings in Hopkins get their turn with an article.

http://www.startribune.com/the-drive-st ... 442639203/

I have even tried glancing in the comments.
Wait, what is the problem again?..
the problem arises when a driver in the inside lane stops to allow a cyclist to cross, but a motorist in the outside lane who doesn’t see or expect the cyclist does not. That puts both parties on a collision course when cyclists run stop signs. Motorists have complained,
:?: :?:

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 4th, 2017, 3:14 pm

Complaints that mounted cyclists don’t stop at the stop signs at Blake Road and just rush across four lanes traffic. It’s almost a four lane death road, but there is a modest median for crossing.

The story misses the greater cluster f#ck around Blake Road’s trail crossing, that there is such wide spread driver miseducation around what drivers are expected to do at these trail crossings when cyclists approach to cross.

I seriously can’t wait for the coming bike trail tunnel under Blake because confused drivers make crossing Blake a nightmare.

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: RE: Re: Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby David Greene » September 4th, 2017, 5:19 pm

The story misses the greater cluster f#ck around Blake Road’s trail crossing, that there is such wide spread driver miseducation around what drivers are expected to do at these trail crossings when cyclists approach to cross.
Seems to me there's just as much cyclist miseducation about what cyclists are supposed to do...

Anondson
IDS Center

Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby Anondson » September 4th, 2017, 5:31 pm

Well, yeah, but the basic premise of the story is basically entirely around the cyclist miseducation. But at Blake Road, with about 10,000 cars going past the trail crossing, the quantity of confused drivers outnumbered the confused cyclists.

And at least the cyclists will have likely passed the controversial SLP Wooddale crossings with their signs saying “cyclists always stop for cars and wait”. All Blake Road drivers get are the vague “Trail Crossing” signs, as if drivers understand the difference with “Pedestrian Crossing” or legal crosswalks anymore since their drivers test.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » September 4th, 2017, 9:46 pm

I haven't ridden through here in a while. Is it still one of the small stop signs? Any cyclist that rides on trails often is pretty much trained to ignore these because of how they are normally used. They should have an actual signal with detection, but that would be rather expensive and soon to be replaced. For now, they should just put up a full size stop sign and one of the small extra signs that says "cross traffic does not stop" if they want the cyclists to be even more careful. I don't have a great recommendation for making the cars behave in a safe manner aside from the standard (narrow lanes, single lane, stop lights, etc). Intersections like this are the result of engineering failures (speaking as an engineer).

Also, the behavior described in the article as "most dangerous" (partial car stoppage) happens when cars don't do what they are supposed to. The cyclists approaching already know about the intersection and will stop if they don't think they can clear the space.