Bicycle Infrastructure

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
gobezlij
City Center

Re: Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby gobezlij » September 12th, 2017, 9:33 pm

I ride on 24th nearly every day with my kids. Traffic has been both slower and less frequent since the roundabouts were put in place. Plus trucks seem to have gotten the message that 24th isn't for them.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 13th, 2017, 9:33 am

24th was great. 29th still had stop signs. Both are definitely decent biking regardless.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » September 13th, 2017, 10:35 pm

66th St progress pic, at Monroe Park/James Ave. Right now, Logan is under construction, but should be able to try the full riding experience from Oliver to Humboldt by the end of the season. In theory, should also be able to go east from Portland to Richfield Pkwy, but they're not nearly as far along there.

Because they're waiting for NSP to bury lines, the WB/north-side bike lane won't be done this year.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » September 14th, 2017, 6:56 am

I didn't realize that they were putting this much bike infrastructure on 66th. That's wonderful! I will have to go down and get a look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » September 14th, 2017, 8:46 am

I haven't had the chance to bike on them yet but I hear there are some new bike lanes on 26th and 28th that a lot of people are griping about (especially considering the 35w construction). From what I've seen the lanes are huge with another whole lane practically of separation from traffic with poles. Bike safety is great and all but that seems a bit excessive especially with the greenway literally a few blocks south. I wish they would have done this AFTER all the 35w mess.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 14th, 2017, 9:17 am

I rode 28th from Chicago to Bryant this morning during rush hour. Car traffic was fine. There are still cars parked in stretches where the signs just went up, but that should resolve itself.

I don't see what 35W has to do with anything. Tevlin wrote a moronic article in the Strib about the replacement of the Franklin Ave bridge, which will detour to 26th and 28th. It's moronic for a number of reasons, not least that much of Franklin's volume in this stretch is cars going to and from 35W, which you can't do from 26th and 28th. Also, it's especially moronic to look at a street that's 1/3 dedicated to parking and think the bike lane is the problem.

These streets are dangerous - a child was killed here not long ago - and these lanes will make them narrower, thus slower, and safer.

As for the Greenway, it's a limited access freeway. We have local street parallel to the freeway for good reasons. That's all that's happening here with bike facilities.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 14th, 2017, 9:22 am

The lanes are not 2 lanes wide, they are 15-16' wide with the buffers. I'd love for the facility to be at sidewalk level and only require 2' or so buffer to a parked car or thru-lane, and use the leftover 5-6' for boulevard space or whatever. We don't have that luxury as this is just a striping project. It's crazy to call these 'excessive' when we're talking about a pair of one-ways for vehicle traffic when we have I-94, Franklin, and Lake St so close.

I'm glad we implemented the lanes before the 35W construction has its worst impacts. Sorry, but traffic is going to be bad regardless. Staff did an admirable job of maintaining traffic lanes during peak hours in most spots, and people will adjust. But it's important that local trips on bikes have safe options **during** construction detours. People who drive now but make short trips who could otherwise bike (and believe me, there are many of them out there despite the "But I have kids in daycare!" claims) might just see bikes whizzing by them on 26th St and decide to switch modes, even if it's only temporary. We need safer crossings on these streets when whatever number of detoured cars - with drivers unfamiliar with the neighborhood or street - start using it.

cnelson
City Center

Postby cnelson » September 14th, 2017, 10:15 am

The buffer lane for this new stretch looks a little wider than the phase one section to the east, but it's maybe a foot wider, not double.

The bollards went in on the Wedge section of 28th yesterday. Traffic this morning was fine.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 14th, 2017, 10:17 am

I absolutely love this.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » September 14th, 2017, 1:30 pm

It looks like what they did to Blaisdell south of 31st. That works great.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » September 27th, 2017, 8:32 am

The City has posted early layouts for protected bikeways near the U of M on 10th/19th/20th from 5th St NE to Franklin and in the Como area:

http://minneapolismn.gov/bicycles/projects/WCMSP-197539

Both seem to have generous amounts of space for bicyclists and the south end connects south Minneapolis directly to West Bank and Marcy-Holmes. Also has some nice floating bus stops!

The problem with the north end is it gets excessively complicated transitioning from one-way lanes to two-way lanes + a one-way lane to a bicycle boulevard to two-way lanes to a two-way trail. Hopefully they have good wayfinding signs age.

thom
Block E

Postby thom » September 27th, 2017, 8:58 am

The City has posted early layouts for protected bikeways near the U of M on 10th/19th/20th from 5th St NE to Franklin and in the Como area:

http://minneapolismn.gov/bicycles/projects/WCMSP-197539

Both seem to have generous amounts of space for bicyclists and the south end connects south Minneapolis directly to West Bank and Marcy-Holmes. Also has some nice floating bus stops!

The problem with the north end is it gets excessively complicated transitioning from one-way lanes to two-way lanes + a one-way lane to a bicycle boulevard to two-way lanes to a two-way trail. Hopefully they have good wayfinding signs age.
It doesn't look like there's been any thought of connecting the protected bikeway on 15th directly to the Dinkytown Greenway? It's currently a really awkward connection, especially if you need to make the connection when going southbound on 15th.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 27th, 2017, 9:08 am

So, this entire project came in just shy of $2m on the capital budget request. I agree that there should be a Midtown Greenway-style connection to Dinkytown from that trail, but the budget isn't there for that here. Nor does this project make a retrofit like that in the future more costly/challenging.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 27th, 2017, 9:43 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much prefer one-way lanes on each side than all those rough transitions across the street.

Also, this is almost entirely a striping project. How can the timeline possibly be two years to implementation?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 28th, 2017, 2:45 pm

About 26th St:

Did somebody screw up the installation on 26th? Because the last time I drove by around Nicollet it looked like the bollards were where the bike lane is supposed to be and the cyclists were riding where the buffer is supposed to be. There were some confusing parking signs too, like it was supposed to be ok to park right where the bollards are. Maybe I just got confused as I was driving by. I didn't stop to look closely.

Also there are no bollards roughly from Fremont went to Hennepin.
Last edited by David Greene on September 28th, 2017, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 28th, 2017, 2:47 pm

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 28th, 2017, 3:00 pm

Ok, that makes sense, bikes on the inside, then bollards, then parking. I don't think that's what got installed...

Either that or the parking boundary lines are missing and cyclists are assuming they're supposed to be left of the bollards and motorists are parking right of the bollards. But I swear I saw the bollards up against the curb.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 28th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Here's a picture I stole off Twitter. Looks right to me? Or do you mean east of Nicollet?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 28th, 2017, 6:36 pm

Ah, now I know what I was seeing. The parallel lines with the perpendicular parking markers make it look like a buffer area and the lack of perpendicular lines where the bollards are make it look like the bike lane.

A similar arrangement along Oak St. does not have the outer line in the parking area.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 3rd, 2017, 7:41 am

It took them awhile to get that stretch fully installed.