Alatus Residential Project - 228 South 12th Street (32 stories - ~348'/405')

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Alatus Residential Project - 228 South 12th Street (32 stories - ~348'/405')

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 2nd, 2017, 1:31 pm

Alatus planning residential tower next to Minneapolis Convention Center
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... xt-to.html
*LOCKED*

Intro:
Developer Alatus is in the early phases of planning for a multifamily housing tower across the street from the Minneapolis Convention Center.

The Minneapolis developer has a purchase agreement for the one-story brick building at 228 S. 12th St., currently owned by the Church of Christ, Scientist. Alatus would demolish the building and construct a tower with apartments or condos, said Chris Osmundson, development director for Alatus. The base of the tower would include retail, a parking structure and a skyway connection to the Convention Center.

DMNA is hosting Alatus tomorrow night to discuss the project, FYI.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Re: 228 S. 12th St.

Postby bubzki2 » October 2nd, 2017, 1:41 pm

Great news! How high/low should we set expectations?

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » October 2nd, 2017, 1:52 pm

This site has some real potential! I was wondering how long it would take before this building sold. It has been empty for years with several "opportunities", but nothing ever panned out. With the skyway to the convention center right there I'm a little surprised they aren't talking mixed use with some hotel space.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 2nd, 2017, 1:59 pm

No idea what they've got in mind for this site, but their other downtown projects that I'm aware of were the Carlyle, Grant Park Tower, and Latitude 45.

(They're also working on the 200 Central tower, of course).

Nordeast homer, the article mentions the glut of new hotel rooms downtown, as well as the Guthrie Ramp liner hotel falling through, as an explanation about the lack of hotel.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » October 2nd, 2017, 2:05 pm

I really like Alatus' other works so I have high hopes

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 2nd, 2017, 2:10 pm

Here's what the property lines look like on that block: https://gis.hennepin.us/property/map/de ... 2924140064

228 12th takes up half the block, or ~1.2 acres.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » October 2nd, 2017, 2:14 pm

Everyone get ready to update your 35W skyline photos

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Alatus Residential Project - 228 South 12th Street

Postby Anondson » October 2nd, 2017, 3:17 pm

Think they’d let Hotel Ivy punch through to access the skyway?

With the Hotel Ivy south face having zero windows, could this butt up to Hotel Ivy like traditional downtown buildings?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 2nd, 2017, 3:24 pm

With the Hotel Ivy south face having zero windows, could this butt up to Hotel Ivy like traditional downtown buildings?
I even wondered if the Holiday Inn Express might want skyway access too. They also have a blank wall up against this property. I also wondered if the Hennepin County Century Plaza building, across 12th, might also be interested - given they are going to convert that to a hotel and senior housing.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » October 2nd, 2017, 3:26 pm

I don't see why Hotel Ivy would want to do that. They are already connected to the Skyway all this would do is cut 20 seconds off the walk to the Convention Center.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 2nd, 2017, 3:28 pm

I found this early rendering of the proposed project. LOOKS GOOD!

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 2nd, 2017, 3:52 pm

Looks okay, I guess. Wish it was just 300' taller. Why can't developers in this city ever just go big?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 2nd, 2017, 4:31 pm

It's theoretically possible, but as much as we fantasize about party wall buildings here, there aren't a lot of towers that were built that way. The closest you get in Minneapolis are the mid-rise early century buildings like the Plymouth or the Lumber Exchange. There are some better examples in some older east coast cities, but honestly if you're going through the expense of building a high rise tower, you're going to want the views that a freestanding tower would provide.

I could imagine a scenario where you'd butt up an elevator bank against that blank wall, but honestly it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 2nd, 2017, 5:32 pm

My guess, fwiw, is that this'll be another L-shaped building, with the tower rising from one end of the half-block parking podium. (Hopefully the podium design will wind up closer to Skyscape than the Nic on Fifth.) In that case, presumably the tower would be on the SE corner for the best views, and there'd be nothing to prevent the podium adjacent to the Hotel Ivy from butting up against it. There's no public ROW alley on this block. Though, of course, there isn't one between the Nic and Xcel, either. Opus just thought that would be a good idea.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 2nd, 2017, 6:41 pm

I found this early rendering of the proposed project. LOOKS GOOD!
I'm triggered

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » October 2nd, 2017, 9:00 pm

Developer Alatus is in the early phases of planning for a multifamily housing tower across the street from the Minneapolis Convention Center.

The Minneapolis developer has a purchase agreement for the one-story brick building at 228 S. 12th St., currently owned by the Church of Christ, Scientist. Alatus would demolish the building and construct a tower with apartments or condos, said Chris Osmundson, development director for Alatus. The base of the tower would include retail, a parking structure and a skyway connection to the Convention Center.

Osmundson declined to discuss further details of the project — such as height and number of units — because he wants to first discuss and get feedback from the Downtown Minneapolis Neighborhood Association, whose land use committee is hosting Alatus Tuesday night.

“It’s a fantastic opportunity,” Osmundson said. “There’s tremendous activity to help revitalize that area and this would help bring foot traffic into an area that doesn’t have much right now.”

There's some positive momentum in the area, as Sleep Number is moving 900 employees into a building a block over and Doug Hoskin is redeveloping the next-door Century Plaza into a hotel and senior living community.

The 1.2-acre site has been frequently been suggested as a good location for a 1,000-plus-room hotel that would serve the Convention Center. Osmundson said Alatus evaluated that possibility, but decided against it. He noted that hotel financing has been tricky and there was a recent boom of smaller hotels that added more than 1,000 rooms to the city’s core.

Golden Valley-based M.A. Mortenson couldn’t land financing for a hotel project planned next to the Guthrie Theater parking ramp and United Properties has also struggled to find financing for a possible Four Seasons Hotel and apartment tower where Nicollet Mall and Hennepin Avenue meet.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 3rd, 2017, 7:30 am

There's going to be a movement to "preserve" the church, right?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 3rd, 2017, 7:50 am

Not from me. Tear it down.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » October 3rd, 2017, 9:51 am

There's going to be a movement to "preserve" the church, right?
It's not a church, it's owned by a church. It's just an office building from the 50s.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 3rd, 2017, 9:58 am

I don't know what it's used for now, but it sure looks like there used to be a sanctuary in that building.