Bicycle Infrastructure

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby amiller92 » October 9th, 2017, 12:37 pm

The bike signals on the new stretch of Washington are turned on. Now there's a flashing yellow bicycle to let you know to be cautious at all times, I guess. I was rather surprised that the green for cars came on first, then the flashing yellow.

I asked two city workers about it - one of whom said "yes" to whether they are the signal crew and one who said "no" - and I came to the conclusion that they are not yet working right. I was told that the bike signal should go first and that there will be a green that's supposed to mean there are no conflicts, and then flashing yellow when cars could be turning in your direction. Before hearing my actual question, they told me it was part of the effort to become the number one biking city in the world.

thom
Block E

Postby thom » October 9th, 2017, 1:28 pm

The bike signals on the new stretch of Washington are turned on. Now there's a flashing yellow bicycle to let you know to be cautious at all times, I guess. I was rather surprised that the green for cars came on first, then the flashing yellow.

I asked two city workers about it - one of whom said "yes" to whether they are the signal crew and one who said "no" - and I came to the conclusion that they are not yet working right. I was told that the bike signal should go first and that there will be a green that's supposed to mean there are no conflicts, and then flashing yellow when cars could be turning in your direction. Before hearing my actual question, they told me it was part of the effort to become the number one biking city in the world.
A flashing yellow bicycle light combined with a green light for motorists is going to be interpreted by drivers as "bicycles must yield".

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 9th, 2017, 1:31 pm

Same system in use now on Jackson St if you've tried it.

Speaking of which, construction is basically complete through 11th St, and the bollards are up on the freeway bridge but the signals haven't been done, so that lane is blocked off. Phase III has started heading south from University (same standard as in downtown) but will mostly wait for next spring.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 9th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Do the signals seem helpful on Jackson? I can see a little better case for them where the cycle track is two-way on the same side of the street, but at the moment, I don't see the point on Washington. And everything seemed to work fine before they were turned on.

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » October 9th, 2017, 2:44 pm

I like the signals on Jackson, although it will take a little time for drivers to get used to them. The bicycle signals only blink yellow when drivers also have a flashing yellow arrow, so the idea is that everyone needs to be cautious, but bikes still have the right of way since they are proceeding straight. Drivers were ignoring the 'no turn on red' signals most of the time at the beginning, but it's gotten much better after a summer of use.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 9th, 2017, 2:51 pm

I like it well enough. I appreciate the leading green light. The flashing yellow interaction isn't ideal. I'm not sure I know what would make it better though.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 9th, 2017, 9:44 pm

St. Anthony Traffic Calming/ Bikeway and the Pelham Bikeway are both FINALLY beginning construction this week in St. Paul. Important bike connections in an underserved market :D
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 9th, 2017, 10:13 pm

That St. Anthony Traffic Calming being 404 not found made me lol

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 9th, 2017, 10:23 pm

404 for both.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 9th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 10th, 2017, 8:43 am

404 for both.
Shouldn't Pelham be 123?

(sorry)

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 12th, 2017, 3:50 pm

I know this may seem an odd place for this, but with Golden Valley Country Club in talks to be sold, if it gets closed some day as a golf course I hope they consider rerouting the bike trail through this from its permanent detour around.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... ll-to.html

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 12th, 2017, 3:55 pm

That would be huge. The current detour seriously makes me rethink taking that stretch of the Luce line trail. Somehow that jog with the awkward hills, curves and curb cuts is just really unpleasant.

SamtheBusNerd
City Center

Postby SamtheBusNerd » October 12th, 2017, 5:24 pm

Anyone know what's up with the new bike lanes on Franklin at the light rail station? I was excited when they were put in but they never fixed the signs so they're still just full of parked cars.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » October 13th, 2017, 8:56 am

Does anyone know why they've put the lane marker tabs they use when overlaying roads in the middle of the bikes lanes on Plymouth and Washington Ave N? I hope they're not going to make them narrow.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » October 14th, 2017, 11:48 am

About a dozen or so "protesters" were out around noon at Hennepin and 26th. They were carrying signs that said "Mafia Lane" and "Suck it Bike Lane". Of course Channel 5 came and gave them air time.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 14th, 2017, 12:43 pm

About a dozen or so "protesters" were out around noon at Hennepin and 26th. They were carrying signs that said "Mafia Lane" and "Suck it Bike Lane". Of course Channel 5 came and gave them air time.
Bike lane celebration slow-roll starts at 3pm at 26th & Lyndale (meet at Common Roots). Come help us outnumber the “protesters”.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » October 17th, 2017, 8:45 am

What do they want? Let me guess, they think more space should be dedicated to cars. I am usually a very understanding person, but these people infuriate me. Acting like the automobile is supreme people mover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » October 17th, 2017, 1:51 pm

...Am I the only one who wonders why they were protesting via walking and not driving with signs protesting? It's like protesting Coke for low wages while showing support for Pepsi, but you're drinking a Faygo Soda.

Prpa
Block E

Postby Prpa » October 18th, 2017, 12:07 pm

I totally agree with your idea.