City Club Apartments - 1000 Marquette Ave (Handicraft Building)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
twincitizen

Re: 10th & Marquette Handicraft Building Development

Postby twincitizen » April 3rd, 2017, 6:46 am

From the grant application document I shared in the Downtown general thread, this description suggests a slightly altered project:
Handicraft Building City Apartments (1000 and 1016 Marquette Ave)
Projected DEED Request: $125,000
Club City Apartments LLC is planning a project located on the corner of 10th Street and
Marquette Avenue. The project involves the construction of a 16-story multi-family building
(213,561 gross sq. ft.) featuring 311 efficient rental units, 169 units of which will fall below the
80% AMI threshold. This project will also include 17,522 gross sq. ft. in the renovated and
historic Handicraft Guild Building and Assembly Hall, which will include new restaurant space to
benefit tenants and the local community. The total projected development cost is $50,188,000.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 3rd, 2017, 7:37 am

Hm. Lost two floors from the Nov. 2015 design, but gained 18 units. They must have shifted the mix towards mostly or all micro-units. It'll be interesting to see new designs.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 3rd, 2017, 8:21 am

My guess is they're losing the "L" which 1) allows for preservation of one building and 2) which avoids the setback issue which was the cause of the WCCO litigation.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 3rd, 2017, 8:41 am

The L? Didn't the tower have a pretty rectangular footprint, except for the connection to the Devil's Advocate building?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » April 3rd, 2017, 9:57 am

This question may have been answered already, but I thought the planning permits had expired for this project. If they have an expired, I thought I heard somewhere that they are due to expire very soon. Anyone have any info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 3rd, 2017, 10:33 am

As I understand it, CPC approvals are good for two years, so they would expire for this project in November. But, it sounds like the design is changing, so they would likely have to go back for new approvals anyway.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 3rd, 2017, 12:38 pm

Devil's Advocate will relocate to Dan Kelly's spot
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... close.html

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 3rd, 2017, 2:01 pm

1. I didn't realize that the Republic people had sold it.

2. I don't really get what keeps Devil's Advocate alive (haven't been in awhile and only been a couple of times, but not impressed despite a good beer selection).

3. Same with Erik the Red.

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » October 12th, 2017, 3:57 pm

so....dead? OR... No?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 12th, 2017, 4:51 pm

On the one hand, it seems like it. Nothing has happened for long enough that their CPC approvals are about to expire. (Or have already?)

On the other hand, they haven't leased the spaces back out. If they've truly given up on the project, I can't think of any reason not to. It's not like it's a office tower where they're making money on the rest of the building and don't really care whether the ground floor retail rents or not. A totally empty building is just dead weight.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 12th, 2017, 7:09 pm

Land use approvals expired in September, far as I can tell. Any new or revised project will have to start the entitlements process all over again.

Homewood2009
Metrodome

Postby Homewood2009 » October 13th, 2017, 5:50 am

It would be really nice if this could be filled with tenants again and left as is. Our city has lost too many old structures to development over the years and we can't afford to lose more of our architectural history. Many of the buildings going up downtown seem to be covered in cheap looking materials that don't look like they will stand the test of time, and none of them have the craftsmanship and character that this little building has. I'm all for bringing more people downtown and creating a vibrant neighborhood, but we should be pushing for that on the rest of the surface lots we still have.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 13th, 2017, 7:37 am

I don't think anyone here really disagrees with you on that. But, I mean, this is still privately owned and controlled, right? Government can only be so heavy handed... historic preservation and renovation isn't cheap.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 13th, 2017, 9:09 am

It would be really nice if this could be filled with tenants again and left as is. Our city has lost too many old structures to development over the years and we can't afford to lose more of our architectural history.
Sorry to pick on you, but I really wish comments like this would stop here. I agree with you that these are among that last remaining structures from this era and that I'd rather see them preserved or reused (I'm actually a fan of saving facades and building behind them, but some aren't). Unfortunately, I think that ship has sailed here.

But then people so often need to keep going:
Many of the buildings going up downtown seem to be covered in cheap looking materials that don't look like they will stand the test of time
I mean it's great you have an aesthetic opinion, but may other people like those new buildings, and maybe those new building as providing new homes and offices that allow people to live and work in the city even if they aren't your cup of tea.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 13th, 2017, 10:14 am

I was still under the impression that the approvals for this project were successfully challenged by the adjacent landowners, because they were proposing totally unrealistic sideyard setbacks. Am I misremembering?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » October 13th, 2017, 10:19 am

Since we're on the subject of comments that should stop, can people stop going to inactive project threads just to say "No news, huh?"

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » October 13th, 2017, 10:54 am

We were given a meaningful answer by twincitizen, so I don't think it was out of line to ask the question.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 13th, 2017, 12:40 pm

I was still under the impression that the approvals for this project were successfully challenged by the adjacent landowners, because they were proposing totally unrealistic sideyard setbacks. Am I misremembering?
Yes and no. IIRC, the first design had balconies on the southern elevation that were like two inches from the property line, which WCCO successfully shut down. Then they came back with a redesign that just had a blank white wall on that elevation, which was approved. Then they took that approval and sat on it until it expired, and here we are.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » October 13th, 2017, 8:13 pm

On the one hand, it seems like it. Nothing has happened for long enough that their CPC approvals are about to expire. (Or have already?)

On the other hand, they haven't leased the spaces back out. If they've truly given up on the project, I can't think of any reason not to. It's not like it's a office tower where they're making money on the rest of the building and don't really care whether the ground floor retail rents or not. A totally empty building is just dead weight.
The building was pretty run down before the kicked everyone out. Being it sat vacant for some time I wonder if it's now beyond a cheap repair? Kinda sad to see them kick out the tenants only to build nothing. Don't seem like a good business move, we sure this is not a Trump tower? :|

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

City Club apartments

Postby bapster2006 » January 15th, 2018, 6:55 pm

The proposed apartment building at 10th and Marquette in downtown Minneapolis is still alive. Latest plans are a small reduction in height to 16 floors with increased units to 307.

Check out this link for updated renderings:

https://www.cityclubapartments.com/corp ... uction.asp

And for those who have access, here is a Finance & Commerce article:

http://finance-commerce.com/2018/01/wha ... high-rise/