Mall of America - Bloomington

Twin Cities Suburbs
xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Mall of America - Bloomington

Postby xandrex » August 10th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Judging by the financial troubles facing two of their major anchors and how I've noticed more and more retail space is going to things like arcades, pop up museums, and escape rooms, I imagine Phase 2 is probably not going to happen until this retailpocalypse bottoms out.
As I understand it, the next phase is supposed to largely be luxury retail. Someone at MOA once told me that it’s pretty difficult to do because Gucci will only sign an agreement if, say, Prada does as well, and they’ll only do it if Coach is nearby. They essentially all want to cluster together, and they want things custom built. That means it can take years to get a firm enough agreement to make expanding worth it.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » August 15th, 2017, 5:47 pm

Dough Dough, the cookie dough food truck, will be opening at the Mall of America this fall. The new location will be on the third floor across from Doc Popcorn.

http://www.startribune.com/popular-cook ... 440577133/

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 16th, 2017, 8:13 am

I tried the truck when they first opened Downtown and had samples. I got ill given that it was pretty much sugar cookie dough.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 16th, 2017, 8:41 am

It makes for good stress-eating. Good for them on the MoA store, but I hope the truck stays around.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » September 18th, 2017, 10:40 pm

According to this Craig's List post, October 5th is the official hatching for Chick Fil A at MOA.
Buildings, what buildings?

mulad

Postby mulad » September 28th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Carlo's Bake Shop opened today.

mulad

Postby mulad » October 24th, 2017, 3:57 pm

The construction walls are down around Dough Dough. Their sign says they'll open Friday.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » October 25th, 2017, 8:24 am

Renovation of the Mall of America Transit Station should happen after the superbowl.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 25th, 2017, 9:45 am

Renovation of the Mall of America Transit Station should happen after the superbowl.
Has work started on this? It was supposed to be completed before the Superbowl, but the Legislature didn't pass a bonding bill last year, so work was delayed, as they waited for the funds to be appropriated during this year's session. Sometimes timing doesn't always work out - as is likely the case here. Delaying the work 6 months to accommodate Superbowl fans would only increase costs more. So if work has started, I can fully understand them not wanting to delay it further.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » October 25th, 2017, 10:06 am

Has work started on this? It was supposed to be completed before the Superbowl, but the Legislature didn't pass a bonding bill last year, so work was delayed, as they waited for the funds to be appropriated during this year's session. Sometimes timing doesn't always work out - as is likely the case here. Delaying the work 6 months to accommodate Superbowl fans would only increase costs more. So if work has started, I can fully understand them not wanting to delay it further.
What I have heard around at Metro Transit, is that they are waiting until after the Superbowl now. It is fully funded now via a different bonding bill and grants. It should be done early 2019 at the earliest.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 25th, 2017, 10:23 am

What I have heard around at Metro Transit, is that they are waiting until after the Superbowl now. It is fully funded now via a different bonding bill and grants. It should be done early 2019 at the earliest.
Oh, your post seemed more like a complaint, not an update - my bad. Seems that makes sense given how it's been delayed this long.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » October 25th, 2017, 10:55 am

Oh, your post seemed more like a complaint, not an update - my bad. Seems that makes sense given how it's been delayed this long.
My bad, I could have probably worded it better.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » January 9th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Under new owner, the Mall of America's movie theater will reopen soon
The new theater is billed as a luxury experience, but it comes at a price. Tickets are expected to run $25 to $27 for matinees and evening showings, according to CMX spokeswoman Lili Aquino. That would easily be the highest movie ticket price in the Twin Cities.
:shock:

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 9th, 2018, 7:11 pm

Well at least the next company that takes over won't have to do much renovating.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » January 9th, 2018, 7:48 pm

Yikes!!! $25+ is absolutely insane and they will fail quickly. I recently paid full price ($15) on opening weekend for a movie I was very hyped to see... I was let down. I'll be exclusively at Marcus Oakdale on Tuesdays. All movies $5.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 9th, 2018, 9:37 pm

If that was the ticket price to an event, that would make sense. I would also pay $25 a ticket at a theater with actual ushers who removed and banned people who used phones during a screening.

But short of that, no. I won't be paying $10 more than my usual theater to see a movie. I can't think of anyone who would. Maybe the nouveau riche.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 10th, 2018, 11:12 am

I guess it depends on what the $25 price includes. If it's just a movie and VIP food/beverage service, then I don't think they'll succeed. But since the article doesn't really share any information about what you can expect (aside from comfy seating with built-in phone chargers, it's hard to know. Seems like good reporting/writing is hard these days. I see it more and more - with sloppy writing, incorrect information or just a lack of really giving the reader a full picture.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » January 10th, 2018, 1:49 pm

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... n.amp.html

Apparently CMX runs Burnsville and Rochester theaters too.

I went to the CMX website and it doesn't explain the high price. The pictures do look like they fit 2 recliners and side tables in the space of 4 recliners in recently renovated theaters.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » January 10th, 2018, 3:33 pm

I've been to the Burnsville one since CMX took it over; they haven't changed anything (or raised prices) so far.

I will say that the phone chargers by the seats would make me less likely to go there, though, not more.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 10th, 2018, 3:38 pm

I clicked through that article to an older article on CMX's plans for American expansion. The admission cost is just that - admission.

Checking the Yelp reviews on some of the CMX cinemas already open, people aren't exactly happy with what they get for their money.