Wooddale Station Area / PLACE - St. Louis Park

Twin Cities Suburbs
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Wooddale Station Area / PLACE Proposal - St. Louis Park

Postby Anondson » July 20th, 2017, 12:06 am

The Elmwood will be shrunk to five stories and only one level of underground parking because rising construction costs ballooned anticipated costs higher.

http://finance-commerce.com/2017/07/bal ... ouis-park/

It’s actually being reduced to near what was originally planned, it was increased to six stories at request of the city to add more affordable units (as a percentage). Haven’t we had a few stories about the labor shortage in construction trades causing problems? Dang.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » August 5th, 2017, 9:46 am

Site work and demolition is starting at the Place site.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 5th, 2017, 12:37 pm

Awesome! Not sure how I'd missed that, but will check it out today on the way home.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 5th, 2017, 1:42 pm

From following P.L.A.C.E. Through their project page I think all that is starting is demo and site clean up since they have funding to do exactly that. There was no reason for the city to force them to delay doing everything like the paid for clean up even though other funding sources for construction is slowly arriving.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » August 5th, 2017, 2:43 pm

You won't see any fallen bricks today but maybe within the next few days.

relux
Metrodome

Postby relux » August 30th, 2017, 4:27 pm

St Louis Park was awarded a $895,000 grant by the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development earlier this month. Still no sign of work being done on the site, unless it’s started in the last couple days.

rmc
City Center

Postby rmc » October 11th, 2017, 11:20 am

Still no progress on the site. Some survey markers were put up, but no demolition activity.

My big question is around the traffic plan. The traffic mitigation plan for this site was dependent on the SWLRT improvements being made to the Wooddale / Hwy 7 / 36th St / bike trail intersections. With SWLRT in limbo, what does this mean for PLACE?

Anondson
IDS Center

Wooddale Station Area / PLACE Proposal - St. Louis Park

Postby Anondson » October 11th, 2017, 12:00 pm

There are traffic changes coming from SWLRT and there are changes coming that are to fix the stupid Wooddale design. SWLRT was bringing the increased closing to the rail crossings when the trains come through every 15 minutes, plus it brings the whistle free quiet zone changes that were going to close off a frontage road access.

The Wooddale intersection changes are separate projects funded separately and needed regardless.

In the event SWLRT doesn’t happen I believe the Wooddale bridge improvements still happen though i don’t think PLACE makes it more needed. The TH 100/7 interchange update has already made a noticeable improvement to traffic through the Wooddale/36th intersection.

And the trail underpass is another separate project that is happening regardless of SWLRT.

rmc
City Center

Postby rmc » October 11th, 2017, 12:01 pm

According to someone in the SLP planning department, demolition should start in the next couple days. There were "delays" in PLACE getting started.

They have had discussions about what happens if the SWLRT improvements are delayed/dropped, and there is some interest in making improvements to the bike trail crossing. There is an already approved plan to improve the Wooddale overpass and Hwy 7 ramps for sight lines and ped/bike accommodations.

Since I didn't see it posted, here are the final plans: https://www.stlouispark.org/home/showdocument?id=1196

A project update is supposed to be presented during the October 23rd council study session.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » October 17th, 2017, 6:26 pm

Smashee smashee

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » October 19th, 2017, 1:54 pm

I timed this photo to purposely get the demolition with the chimney still standing. The chimney is now gone but you can still catch the walls up over there.

ImageMcGarvey coffee demolition - PLACE development St Louis Park 10-19-17 by Matt Bappe, on Flickr

relux
Metrodome

Postby relux » October 24th, 2017, 10:26 am

Here is a look inside right before demo:

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 26th, 2017, 4:32 pm

Metropolitan Council Invests in Job Growth, Development, and Housing Near Transit
https://metrocouncil.org/News-Events/Co ... evelo.aspx

PLACE, St. Louis Park - $850,000 to help fund placemaking, solar panels, and stormwater management at a mixed-use, mixed-income ecovillage at the Wooddale Station on the Green Line Extension. The station area is surrounded by live-work units, retail spaces, a coffee shop and hotel. The project includes a solar canopy over a nearby parking area, anaerobic digester to manage waste and generate power, a green house and urban forest.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » October 26th, 2017, 11:27 pm

Just hide the freight tracks, thats totally fine. Hopefully residents know what to expect instead of somehow being surprised and demanding the freight trains go away.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 26th, 2017, 11:41 pm

There is absolutely no possibility of missing the freight tracks here.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 27th, 2017, 9:37 am

Any sense how frequent freight traffic is through this section? Horns required for trains?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 27th, 2017, 9:40 am

Horns are required now. This crossing is intended to get the whistle free crossing upgrades as part of the SWLRT work.

I have a vague memory of being told there are eight or so crossings per day average and it’s going up. That was about five years ago.

squrtis
City Center

Postby squrtis » October 27th, 2017, 11:37 am

Those buildings are absolutely hideous.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » October 27th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Horns are required now. This crossing is intended to get the whistle free crossing upgrades as part of the SWLRT work.

I have a vague memory of being told there are eight or so crossings per day average and it’s going up. That was about five years ago.
I've heard 3-4 freight trains per day, though it depends on the day and the season. Of course what people don't seem to realize is just because there has been x number of trains per day for x number of years does not mean it will always be that way. Could be more, could be less at any time.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 27th, 2017, 1:58 pm

The Elmwood will be shrunk to five stories and only one level of underground parking because rising construction costs ballooned anticipated costs higher.

http://finance-commerce.com/2017/07/bal ... ouis-park/

It’s actually being reduced to near what was originally planned, it was increased to six stories at request of the city to add more affordable units (as a percentage). Haven’t we had a few stories about the labor shortage in construction trades causing problems? Dang.
I haven't seen an update on this since it was approved in October, and the site remains unchanged. Is there any reason to think there are delays on this, or even a cancellation? I guess I expected the American Legion building to be demo'd by now, especially given the fact that they're already behind their original construction schedule (due to the revisions).