Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Public Transit News and Current Happenings

Postby Bakken2016 » November 14th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Does this confirm that the LRT will be closed to everyone else? Or will other stations be open? (I don't see how you could run these express trains at the same time.)
My guess is that they'll supplement bus service for 'regular' riders along both lines, allowing Game Day pass holders to get the VIP Express Train Service they definitely deserve. (sarcasm meter overload)
There will be bus bridges.

Blue Line Bus Bridge - Mall of America Station to Target Field Station
Green Line Bus Bridge - Stadium Village Station to Target Field Station

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » November 14th, 2017, 12:32 pm

So does this mean Blue Line trains will fly past the stops in between MOA and U.S. Bank Stadium, or will they crawl through the stations and then get back up to speed? Would be cool to see what an express Blue Line service would look like.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » November 14th, 2017, 12:34 pm

So does this mean Blue Line trains will fly past the stops in between MOA and U.S. Bank Stadium, or will they crawl through the stations and then get back up to speed? Would be cool to see what an express Blue Line service would look like.
Due to federal regulations I believe they must make safety stops at all stations.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » November 14th, 2017, 12:43 pm

Due to federal regulations I believe they must make safety stops at all stations.

According to the Star Tribune they will not be stopping. But, maybe that means they won't open the doors.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » November 14th, 2017, 12:49 pm

According to the Star Tribune they will not be stopping. But, maybe that means they won't open the doors.
I believe that is the case, the doors won't open.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » November 14th, 2017, 2:06 pm

In general based on people's reactions on twitter, people are beyond pissed about this.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 14th, 2017, 2:15 pm

Meh. Sure, if you're prone to be upset about subsidies to the NFL and the exclusivity of the Super Bowl, this is one more thing to get fired up about. But really, this is a pretty smart way of handling things with fairly minor impacts to most people.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » November 14th, 2017, 2:39 pm

Meh. Sure, if you're prone to be upset about subsidies to the NFL and the exclusivity of the Super Bowl, this is one more thing to get fired up about. But really, this is a pretty smart way of handling things with fairly minor impacts to most people.
I would agree wholeheartedly. But anytime service is disrupted people complain.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 14th, 2017, 3:12 pm

I've already set off my Facebook rant, but this is bullshit. Make the gladiator games attendees ride the bus, not the people that use and support transit every damn day of the year. Why should the wealthy be given exclusive access to our highest-amenity transit service?

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » November 14th, 2017, 3:21 pm

I've already set off my Facebook rant, but this is bullshit. Make the gladiator games attendees ride the bus, not the people that use and support transit every damn day of the year. Why should the wealthy be given exclusive access to our highest-amenity transit service?
Your solution is not possible, the Dept of Homeland Security requires the security zone around the Super Bowl due to it being classified as a first tier security risk event. The light rail runs directly through the security zone, and those that don't have tickets can not go into the zone. Metro Transit was forced into this decision, and had no other option.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » November 14th, 2017, 3:31 pm

I've noticed that at other games at the Metrodome, Metro Transit has run express buses from 28th Ave to the stadium.

Also, I'm surprised that the trains have to stop at each station, but not open the doors. In Chicago, CTA will run express (when late) and slightly reduce speed when going through stations.

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » November 14th, 2017, 3:38 pm

If you have a Super Bowl ticket, buy a special $30 Gameday Pass. Regular light-rail service WILL NOT operate on gameday.
Jonathan Ahn, AICP | [email protected]
Personal thoughts and personal opinion only. May include incomplete information.

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » November 14th, 2017, 3:55 pm

All non-light rail transit should be free that Sunday.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » November 14th, 2017, 3:56 pm

I've noticed that at other games at the Metrodome, Metro Transit has run express buses from 28th Ave to the stadium.

Also, I'm surprised that the trains have to stop at each station, but not open the doors. In Chicago, CTA will run express (when late) and slightly reduce speed when going through stations.
Since our trains have separated ROW, but not segregated ROW they have to stop due to interacting with surrounding roadways, unlike the CTA.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 14th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Your solution is not possible, the Dept of Homeland Security requires the security zone around the Super Bowl due to it being classified as a first tier security risk event. The light rail runs directly through the security zone, and those that don't have tickets can not go into the zone. Metro Transit was forced into this decision, and had no other option.
Except they're explicitly running LRT riders through security. MetroTransit even cites an "advantage" to the buses as avoiding security checks.

"Not possible." Bullshit.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » November 14th, 2017, 4:09 pm

Except they're explicitly running LRT riders through security. MetroTransit even cites an "advantage" to the buses as avoiding security checks.

"Not possible." Bullshit.
The buses still have to detour around the security zone. No matter what you need a Superbowl Ticket to enter the security zone, and since the trains go directly through the zone, they made it so only people with Superbowl tickets can ride the train that ONE day. It is a requirement by Homeland Security due to the nature of the event. Don't get me wrong, I hate it as much as the next person, but it isn't Metro Transit's fault. Blame the NFL and Dept of Homeland Security.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » November 14th, 2017, 4:32 pm

From what I can tell from looking online Houston didn't make their LRT for ticket holders only and their Red Line appears to go right to NRG stadium. Can someone confirm this?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 14th, 2017, 4:38 pm

It appears to be almost a half mile between the LRT stop and the stadium in Houston, so not really apples to apples.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » November 14th, 2017, 4:57 pm

It appears to be almost a half mile between the LRT stop and the stadium in Houston, so not really apples to apples.
^This!

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » November 14th, 2017, 6:49 pm

In general based on people's reactions on twitter, people are beyond pissed about this.
:?: I don't get why... I mean why would anybody be upset to see the public transit system they support through fee's, taxes, and regular fares get taken away from them for a day and forced to ride busses while outsiders attending a public sporting event get premium service... ohhhh.... I see it now! ;)