Nicollet Mall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Re: Nicollet Mall

Postby bubzki2 » December 21st, 2017, 10:49 am

It's hard to compare to being *not* gray since this is all we have, but I think it looks pretty good and a little bit of accent/decoration will make this a nice blank slate to dress up for occasions. Big upgrade from what was there before.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » December 21st, 2017, 10:56 am

Decorate a street? Twenty years later everyone says "It's so dated"

Leave a street looking neat? "It's so boring"

What a thankless job.

rhettcarlson
Nicollet Mall

Postby rhettcarlson » December 21st, 2017, 12:01 pm

The biggest issue with the new mall in my mind is its material. We couldn't do better than concrete for the signature street in a major American city? Even the poorest countries elsewhere in the world use higher quality materials in public space. It's a major downgrade from the granite we had before. The concrete also feels "colder" than the dark red granite, which had more of an outdoor living room feel.
Last edited by rhettcarlson on December 21st, 2017, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 21st, 2017, 12:14 pm

I haven't wiped out on the concrete yet this winter, which is something it has going for it. The granite was very pretty, but wasn't really safe since they abandoned the heated sidewalk system.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » December 21st, 2017, 12:30 pm

That granite was sooo slippery...I'll never forget it. We'll probably see how the street decorates when the Super Bowl comes. Right now it's just barren looking with few people on it given the cozy skyways. (Open Streets last weekend did pull people out onto the street. It'll be great is downtown businesses embrace this more in future years.)

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 8th, 2018, 11:24 am

They took down the 8th st stoplight and replaced it with a 4-way stop in preparation for the Super Bowl. I hope vehicles keep their eyes out for walkers.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 8th, 2018, 1:27 pm

I don't think it was Super Bowl prep? There were problems with those lights that were pretty noticeable when using them. Red light would turn then it would take a solid 5 seconds to switch to walk, then another 2 for green.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 8th, 2018, 1:40 pm

I don't think it was Super Bowl prep? There were problems with those lights that were pretty noticeable when using them. Red light would turn then it would take a solid 5 seconds to switch to walk, then another 2 for green.
I believe this where the stage is going for the concerts.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 8th, 2018, 2:12 pm

Hopefully they take another pass at light timing after the Super Bowl. 8th St was the worst, like Grant mentioned, but 4th and 6th have the same problem to a lesser degree.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 8th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Hasn't it always been like that on Nic? It seems to me I have always noticed lag times between the light changes and walk signs, I always thought it was for pedestrian safety.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 8th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Hopefully they take another pass at light timing after the Super Bowl. 8th St was the worst, like Grant mentioned, but 4th and 6th have the same problem to a lesser degree.
I decided to check out the Mall to see if anything was new Friday on my way home via bike. It felt like it took twice as long to go down Nicollet Mall as 3rd Ave.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 8th, 2018, 9:47 pm

I mean probably. Nicollet was never the FAST route for bikes. I take it when I like to people watch and be the traffic in the lead. 3rd still has turning cars who don't check mirrors, speedy drivers, limited buffer, and is honestly bumpier. As someone who has been doing bike delivery for the past month now, Nicollet is a God send to be open.

DTSB
City Center

Postby DTSB » January 9th, 2018, 12:39 pm

I don't consider this a problem at all. I hardly ever drive through there, but walk Nicollet all the time. 12th street has always been this way for sure. The issue with Nicollet for walkers is that the lights could be timed better for walking multiple bocks. After waiting at a red light, I walk briskly to the next intersection to arrive as the light just turned red. I've taken the skyways just to avoid this problem. (And I am one of those who dislikes the skyways)

Yourpalborno
City Center

Postby Yourpalborno » January 9th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Taking the bus home on the 5 and noticed that the stoplights, some signage, and light polls were removed from the 8th street intsection. Oh the power of the NFL to demand infrastructure removed after only a few months of operation.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 9th, 2018, 3:42 pm

Taking the bus home on the 5 and noticed that the stoplights, some signage, and light polls were removed from the 8th street intsection. Oh the power of the NFL to demand infrastructure removed after only a few months of operation.
Looks like they started removing the light at 9th St as well. It'll be nice if they removed some lights the city actually doesn't need anymore. I also deeply sense someone is going to get hit by a car at one of these intersections. The cars get antsy and delayed by the buses and walkers.

DTSB
City Center

Postby DTSB » January 10th, 2018, 12:20 pm

9th street will be staying open. This is where the Birkie bridge is going. Maybe they needed to take them down temporarily to put up the bridge.

DTSB
City Center

Postby DTSB » January 10th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Another thing I learned last night (which may already have been discussed) is that they will have a skating rink in Peavey Plaza as a part of Superbowl Live.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Re: "Nicollet" (ne Mall)

Postby mamundsen » January 29th, 2018, 10:11 pm

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... -from.html
Following a $50 million renovation of the city’s Main Street, the the Minneapolis Downtown Council dropped the Mall and now refer to it as simply “Nicollet.”

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 29th, 2018, 10:34 pm

Oh good another name changing that will definitely stick

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 29th, 2018, 10:36 pm

I thought this was already a thing. I've been calling it Nicollet for years.