Mall of America - Bloomington

Twin Cities Suburbs
John21
Rice Park

Re: Mall of America - Bloomington

Postby John21 » January 10th, 2018, 5:54 pm

I read an article about one that opened in Miami. It said popcorn was included. I still wouldn't pay that much. Bummer, I was looking forward to having a movie theater at the mall again.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 10th, 2018, 6:00 pm

I read an article about one that opened in Miami. It said popcorn was included. I still wouldn't pay that much. Bummer, I was looking forward to having a movie theater at the mall again.
If popcorn's included, then I feel better about that - as getting a tub of popcorn at any movie theater is about $10 now.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » January 10th, 2018, 11:41 pm

If popcorn's included, then I feel better about that - as getting a tub of popcorn at any movie theater is about $10 now.
Not at Marcus Theaters on Tuesdays. I can grab a FREE mini bag with my rewards card. (I'm a broken record. I love it there.)

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 11th, 2018, 9:31 am

Not at Marcus Theaters on Tuesdays. I can grab a FREE mini bag with my rewards card. (I'm a broken record. I love it there.)
Totally understand, but Oakdale is not close to most anyone who might visit MOA's theaters. I know the West End ShowPlace ICON does the same thing on Tuesdays, which I've done too. But the Southdale AMC for Star Wars was $16 for the recliner seat, and by the time we bought popcorn & sodas, we had spent close to $110 for 4 people. So if popcorn is included and the seats are nicer than Southdale, MOA will be an easy swap for me.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » January 11th, 2018, 9:55 am

I clicked through that article to an older article on CMX's plans for American expansion. The admission cost is just that - admission.

Checking the Yelp reviews on some of the CMX cinemas already open, people aren't exactly happy with what they get for their money.
I read the Google reviews for the one in Miami and the one in Skokie, IL as well (which has the same setup). They weren't too positive either.

Aside from whether it's a viable concept anywhere, which seems to be up for debate, I think CMX misjudged the market here a bit. There's probably a lot more people willing to drop that kind of money for a movie ticket in the Chicago area and Miami than there are in the Twin Cities, even taking the tourist draw of the MOA into consideration. Minnesotans may be affluent, relatively speaking, but they are also frugal, and a lot of high-end businesses have learned this the hard way over the years.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » January 11th, 2018, 10:47 am

Totally understand, but Oakdale is not close to most anyone who might visit MOA's theaters. I know the West End ShowPlace ICON does the same thing on Tuesdays, which I've done too. But the Southdale AMC for Star Wars was $16 for the recliner seat, and by the time we bought popcorn & sodas, we had spent close to $110 for 4 people. So if popcorn is included and the seats are nicer than Southdale, MOA will be an easy swap for me.
Marcus has many locations around town. In my opinion, they blow AMC, Carmike, and Icon out of the water of value and atmosphere.

http://www.marcustheatres.com/theatre-l ... s/state-MN

Also, Alamo Drafthouse is building in Woodbury. It will be interesting to see if they do better than CMX.

(Mods, should we have a "Movie Theater" thread?)

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 11th, 2018, 12:27 pm

I say this as someone who loves the moviegoing experience and would love to have convenient access to Alamo Drafthouse:

I'm never driving out to Woodbury to go to a movie.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » January 18th, 2018, 11:50 am

St. Anthony Main is clearly the answer. $5 movies, $5 for unlimited popcorn and soda, plus you can buy craft beer (which is only $3 if you go before 6 PM). I went to watch Star Wars there with a friend, we got popcorn, each had a beer, and the total for the two of us was $21. And when you are done, you can walk over to any of a number of places to grab dinner or another drink.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » March 30th, 2018, 11:30 am

mulad

Postby mulad » March 30th, 2018, 12:54 pm

That explains why Tom's (shoes) moved a short distance to the northeast corner of the Central Parkway/North Garden, which one of my coworkers noticed a little while ago.

nstudenski
Metrodome

Postby nstudenski » March 30th, 2018, 2:25 pm

Makes me wonder if there are still plans for this wing to be luxury retail. I don't think Gucci or Prada is going to sign a lease near H&M.

Another thing to note is that Tucci Bennuch recently closed and that space is contiguous to H&M. That frees up a big slice of space that also faces the outside. A friend who used to work at Tucci told me she heard a gym was going in.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » March 30th, 2018, 2:29 pm

Makes me wonder if there are still plans for this wing to be luxury retail. I don't think Gucci or Prada is going to sign a lease near H&M.

Another thing to note is that Tucci Bennuch recently closed and that space is contiguous to H&M. That frees up a big slice of space that also faces the outside. A friend who used to work at Tucci told me she heard a gym was going in.
They have given up on this expansion to be a luxury wing. But do have plans to extend out to IKEA still with a luxury wing.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » April 4th, 2018, 1:56 pm

They have given up on this expansion to be a luxury wing. But do have plans to extend out to IKEA still with a luxury wing.
false, many luxury brands are still very much so interested. It's just the Mall planners underestimated luxury retailers demands for being included in so many of the what would be typically described as minor details for other lower end retailers. Think of it as the popular plastic girls table... they need to know where they are sitting at the lunch table before they even walk into the lunch room, cause god forbid they get stuck with a table near the trash cans or the goth kids! :o Same thing, a Gucci store near a discount brand store could be very concerning there needs to be enough buffer space to satisfy these luxury brands. These details take a great deal of time, of which the mall planners were not prepared for.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » April 4th, 2018, 2:14 pm

false, many luxury brands are still very much so interested. It's just the Mall planners underestimated luxury retailers demands for being included in so many of the what would be typically described as minor details for other lower end retailers. Think of it as the popular plastic girls table... they need to know where they are sitting at the lunch table before they even walk into the lunch room, cause god forbid they get stuck with a table near the trash cans or the goth kids! :o Same thing, a Gucci store near a discount brand store could be very concerning there needs to be enough buffer space to satisfy these luxury brands. These details take a great deal of time, of which the mall planners were not prepared for.
I was not saying that luxury brands aren't interested, that's why they have another wing planned for the mall which will like you said have their specific lunch table.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » April 4th, 2018, 3:41 pm

"Heathers Phase 3"

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 25th, 2018, 10:42 am

Mall of America movie theater announces food options, will open next week
*UNLOCKED*

Mall of America's movie theaters reopen May 4 with a first — a food hall
Strib's Take

Looking forward to this new setup! No more high prices as they first proposed.
I think this will fit in well at MOA.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » April 26th, 2018, 10:43 am

Yeah, the pricing they originally proposed would not have worked here, so it's good that they changed that. The food options are intriguing.

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » July 10th, 2018, 11:01 am

Walgreens, yes Walgreens is opening a store in Mall Of America later this year. The news came out in May..

https://www.drugstorenews.com/retail-ne ... f-america/
Buildings, what buildings?

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » July 12th, 2018, 8:19 am

It makes sense. The hotels and offices alone should provide a decent customer base, not to mention people who work at the mall, and of course mall visitors themselves.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 12th, 2018, 8:23 am

Makes perfect sense to me. People would probably buy groceries at the mall too if given the option. A mini Trader Joes in the mall would make an absolute killing on TJ-branded snacks, booze, etc.