Woman's Club of Minneapolis Parking Lot (344-410 Oak Grove)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Woman's Club of Minneapolis Parking Lot (344-410 Oak Grove)

Postby seanrichardryan » February 13th, 2018, 10:00 am

The Woman's Club of Minneapolis is planning to redevelop their parking lot adjacent to the clubhouse at 410 Oak Grove St. They have selected the developer Ecumen in partnership with ArtSpace to add 'high-end' residential, artist studios, and underground parking. The new structure will be linked to the historic clubhouse. Cuningham Group will be the architect, with ground breaking expected in spring of 2019, completion in 2020.

The redevelopment will add a revenue stream fro the private club, which has seen declining membership in recent years. It will also allow upgrades to spaces in the 1928 clubhouse which has over 46k sq ft spread over 7 floors. Features include a Library, 628 person theater, ballroom, formal dining rooms and a rooftop deck. Developing the current lot with increased parking capacity underground will allow the club to look at redevelopment of the auxiliary parking lot further up the street at 317 Oak Grove.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Woman's Club of Minneapolis Parking Lot (344-410 Oak Grove)

Postby Nathan » February 13th, 2018, 11:33 am

This is really great news. I've wondered when organizations were going to start seeing the value of their parking lots. I assume your source is legit with all that info. Super happy about it!

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » February 13th, 2018, 11:38 am

Is this currently just a surface lot over a berm? Never paid close attention before... Will the Dunn brothers tower residents fight anything over 4-5 stories? Seems like a slender high rise could work better than a blocky project like the Vue. Great location and wonderful neighborhood.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 13th, 2018, 11:41 am

Also it's super important that this be built with retail on the park imo there will be so few opportunities to do redevelop the built environment facing the park and this gives the opportunity to have 2 retail places next to one another which is rare in LP.

Dreaming would be that the woman's club would open up the arches on the base of their building with glass and incorporate a public use space as well.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 13th, 2018, 11:46 am

...Dreaming would be that the woman's club would open up the arches on the base of their building with glass and incorporate a public use space as well.
Those blank arches are the wall of the theater, which has a floor that slopes below grade.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 13th, 2018, 11:50 am

Is this currently just a surface lot over a berm? Never paid close attention before... Will the Dunn brothers tower residents fight anything over 4-5 stories? Seems like a slender high rise could work better than a blocky project like the Vue. Great location and wonderful neighborhood.
Yes, it's been a parking lot since the 1950s when the club purchased the adjacent house and tore it down. The hillside facing the park has never had anything other than landscaping. The adjacent building is apartments- so no HOA will be filing suit :)

Intersting fact- the one-sided parking on Oak Grove was a result of the Woman's Club popularity in the 1930s, when the street became bogged down member cars. They used to run a shuttle from the parade stadium parking lots when at full capacity.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 13th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Will the Dunn brothers tower residents fight anything over 4-5 stories?
That building is apartments, so the residents are filthy transients who don't get an opinion. ;)

More seriously, though, Loring Park hasn't fought tooth and nail against new developments the way certain other neighborhoods have occasionally been known to. Even LPM didn't get much pushback, if I understand correctly. (I might not, though, it was approved before I really started paying attention to this kind of stuff.)
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 13th, 2018, 12:37 pm

Is this group really called the Woman's Club?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 13th, 2018, 12:44 pm

You mean it's weird that it isn't the Women's Club of Minneapolis?

That does seem weird. The male version would for sure be called a Men's Club and not a Man's Club.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 13th, 2018, 1:13 pm

More seriously, though, Loring Park hasn't fought tooth and nail against new developments the way certain other neighborhoods have occasionally been known to. Even LPM didn't get much pushback, if I understand correctly. (I might not, though, it was approved before I really started paying attention to this kind of stuff.)
Unless it's going to block Lisa Goodman's view.

(Full disclosure, I don't know for sure that the original proposal for the Vue would have blocked Goodman's view, but I recall that she's kinda personally responsible for the Vue being short and that the city got sued over her efforts.)

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 13th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Goodman lives on Hennepin north of Loring Park, so no chance of that.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 13th, 2018, 1:55 pm

Must have been a donor's view then! ;)

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 13th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Goodman lives on Hennepin north of Loring Park, so no chance of that.
Actually she lives near Cedar Lake. Sold her condo 4 years ago.

As for the VUE/ Parc Centrale, the WC was supportive of the original tower proposal there. It was the residents of Summit House Condos who were opposed, and which Goodman & CLPC ultimately aligned there positions behind. The city was sued on the grounds that Goodman's 'bias' was considered in a zoning decision which is supposed to be semi-judicial. Hoyt was awarded no damages.

http://www.startribune.com/appeals-cour ... 121167984/

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCOURTS- ... 3680-2.pdf

A CUP to go from 2.5 stories to 21 was a long-shot anyhow :)

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 13th, 2018, 3:03 pm

That's what I get for looking in the white pages instead of the home design pages.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 13th, 2018, 7:38 pm

It would be a sweet public amenity or they slide in a narrow buffer on the east edge for pedestrians to walk through from 15th to Oak Grove. Take inspiration from an old east coast alley or European city. You could squeeze in a few walk ups in it...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 14th, 2018, 10:13 am

That would be really great!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 14th, 2018, 10:59 am

I've thought about this before, but a long staircase in perpetual shadow in a winter climate probably falls into the category of attractive nuisance.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » February 14th, 2018, 12:57 pm

I've thought about this before, but a long staircase in perpetual shadow in a winter climate probably falls into the category of attractive nuisance.
They could do what the parks department does and just block it off for the winter. This would be private infrastructure, so there should be no rules requiring them to keep it clear and open year round.

Or better yet, install (and maintain) an automatic ice-melt system.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » February 14th, 2018, 1:49 pm

If you're building new, a liquid-based, in-floor heating system could be installed somewhat reasonably, and run sparingly as needed. Would be a great amenity if they could get it included in the build-out.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » February 16th, 2018, 9:29 am

If you're building new, a liquid-based, in-floor heating system could be installed somewhat reasonably, and run sparingly as needed. Would be a great amenity if they could get it included in the build-out.
Yea I'd agree that is very likely to be in the planning process, but when they need to start trimming the costs down that would surly be one of the first things to go. Not to mention the liability if sombody slipped and fell and tried to sue. Really hope I'm wrong and it would actually see the light of day.. well... you know what I mean.. light of a street lamp at least.