Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
John21
Rice Park

Re: Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Postby John21 » March 16th, 2018, 9:47 am

ESPN is exactly the reason why I'll never get it. The whole reason I don't have cable is I don't want to pay for the sports channels, without them cable would be far cheaper. YouTube needs to offer an ESPN-free bundle with either a price that reflects that or more channels to make the price still attractive.
https://try.philo.com/

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » November 18th, 2018, 2:22 pm

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » November 18th, 2018, 5:29 pm

disgusting! absolutely DISGUSTING! I was so happy to join and get my internet at 35 bucks a month and I'm completely happy with the service and the price! I am absolutely this company is ALREADY jacking up the price to min price of 50 bucks! I been completely happy with my 30mbps speed at a price I could ACTUALY AFFORD instead of paying 80 bucks a month for comcast and cable I never used. There was a time when comcast was giving me a discount at 40 bucks a month but that didn't last either...

US Internet has already lost it's niceness. They already are jacking up the price granted they are giving you good speeds but still, not all of us are able to afford these prices easily and effortlessly. I spend 200 bucks on a router, and already threw away my comcast modem that I had bought! Wish I didn't cause I might try going back to save money... Yea, imagine that I might be SAVING money going back to comcast... thought I'm sure after the promotional price they will be more exensive if not the same rip off...

Absolutely disgusting to see this company not offer a more affordable option. Yea, I understand they need to make a profit but not even allowing to grandfather existing customers in is just absolute appalling. I'm not home enough to enjoy all that extra speed. I'm already working 48+ hours a week trying to catch up on bills. Not everyone wants to go down the road of trying to find government aid. We just want to have something affordable we can buy ourselves and have it work at modest speeds so we can live our simply life just above poverty. Thanks US Internet for destroying that dream.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » November 18th, 2018, 8:41 pm

I haven't received any notice from USI that they're planning a big rate hike yet. That definitely sucks. 300MB is a lot more than I need.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 19th, 2018, 6:50 am

Big rate hike? It's 15 dollars a month - For those customers who did have a cheaper level but for the majority of their customers, myself included we were already paying 50 a month for 100mbps, and we're now getting a free upgrade to 300mbps. I can't complain. I've always had great service from usi, the internet has always been flawless. I couldn't ever do century link or comcast again.

*and with the prices being locked in until 2022, that's helpful reassurance that they just aren't jacking up pricing left and right.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » November 19th, 2018, 9:13 am

Being unhappy about a 40%+ increase is understandable. I doubt people paying $50 would be pleased about having to start paying $70, upgrade or not.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » November 19th, 2018, 9:34 am

And considering that they have already raised rates multiple times since I started, I will be paying double what I was 2 years ago. And when I started, there was no indication that it was just an "introductory" rate, even though that is exactly what it was.

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that they are playing the exact same games as Comcast, but I (naively) hoped they were a better company to deal with.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » November 19th, 2018, 9:40 am

43% higher base rate with proportionately higher fees and taxes. At this rate it will be a small premium to Comcast's current offering.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » November 19th, 2018, 9:45 am

Yup its a massive price increase (as noted above over 40%) for a service where I already wasn't happy about the connection quality. There are frequent drops that are especially noticeable in first person shooters.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » November 19th, 2018, 10:01 am

There really aren't any better alternatives for me still. I was already on the 100 plan. I don't really need 300, but I'll take it.

I'm more annoyed about the $8.00/month rental on future equipment (if current breaks/is slow/etc). I hope there's a purchase option.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 19th, 2018, 10:32 am

I mean yeah percentages aren't a great way to measure the cost of something that was 20 percent of the cost of the next comparable competitor. Expanding companies need capital to expand and they are doing an amazing job of providing high speed internet for a reasonable price in Minneapolis which gives us a leg up about a lot of major cities.

If you're playing computer games on 35 dollar internet and confused why the speeds aren't good, maybe you don't fundamentally understand how internet and games works lol.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » November 19th, 2018, 10:43 am

And I'm finally on the service map. https://fiber.usinternet.com/coverage-areas/

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 19th, 2018, 10:44 am

The old USI low tier was more than I needed, so I'm not excited about paying more, even if I'm getting more speed.

That said, I'm not going to be changing providers.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » November 19th, 2018, 11:07 am

If you're playing computer games on 35 dollar internet and confused why the speeds aren't good, maybe you don't fundamentally understand how internet and games works lol.
If you're confusing speed and packet/data loss, maybe you don't fundamentally understand how internet and games works lol.

Also problems have been continuing even with the higher speed... "lol"

thisisdeception
Block E

Postby thisisdeception » November 19th, 2018, 12:10 pm

If you're confusing speed and packet/data loss, maybe you don't fundamentally understand how internet and games works lol.

I've also noticed consistent connectivity/data loss issues with USI, but it's hard for me to tease out how to report to them and have them fix an intermittent problem that's usually resolved in any particular instance by the time I can get anyone on the line. But it does happen several times a day where my connection is effectively dead for a few minutes at a time.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 19th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Even tho that isn't the case, it's interesting I've never had any problems.

schwinnletour
Metrodome

Postby schwinnletour » November 19th, 2018, 12:29 pm

I'm impressed that USI is able to set up such a large utility infrastructure throughout the city and undercut the competition on price in the process.

Horizontal drilling materials, equipment, and labor is not inexpensive. My guess is that it's costing USI $1K for each customer brought online, payback would be ~2.5 years before they even break even.

Their competition charges more, has worse service, and clutter's our environment with overhead lines. I've had issues even streaming one device with a cable modem while paying 100% more for the crap service ($70 vs $35). I'm not thrilled about a price increase but $50 for good service is still better than $70 for less.

Also, they're a small local company who is providing an alternative to a previous monopoly verse a mega-media conglomerate from North Carolina. I know who I'd rather support... .

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » November 19th, 2018, 5:26 pm

I'm looking forward to them finally getting to my hood. I'm paying Centurylink $65 a month for 100mb.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » November 20th, 2018, 4:54 pm

I've had issues with their default DNS in the past... changing to 1.1.1.1 has resolved a lot of things...

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » November 20th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Have you thought about replacing your router/WiFi AP? I play FPS games all the time and have had zero issues with packet loss on USI. I've had a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X the whole time and my gaming PC is wired.
I've had issues with their default DNS in the past... changing to 1.1.1.1 has resolved a lot of things...
Yep I had problems with their DNS also, but I haven't switched back to it in a while so I'm not sure how it is today.