Minneapolis 2040 Comprehensive Plan

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
tmart
Rice Park

Minneapolis 2040 Comprehensive Plan

Postby tmart » March 22nd, 2018, 4:14 pm

The draft of the new comprehensive plan is online.

https://minneapolis2040.com/

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Minneapolis 2040 Comprehensive Plan

Postby Anondson » March 22nd, 2018, 10:04 pm

I’ve been getting all the 2040 Comp Plan takes from the twitters. I hope one of there is a streets.mn post or ten on this over the few weeks.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » March 22nd, 2018, 10:37 pm

And I hope everyone here reading it is leaving encouraging comments as they read. (But I'm preaching to the choir)

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » March 23rd, 2018, 10:44 am

And I hope everyone here reading it is leaving encouraging comments as they read. (But I'm preaching to the choir)
And writing the mayor's office and their city council member! Don't let them only hear from the naysayers! Let's show them how much support there is for this. They need to hear from us.

JDsemblance
Block E

Postby JDsemblance » April 3rd, 2018, 1:36 pm

City Council members will also likely be holding public meetings and public office hours over the next hundred days that the draft is underway. I'd also suggest going to your local neighborhood org meetings because I'm sure they'll be talking about it a lot during this timeframe.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 4th, 2018, 8:58 am

Although, I'm for density I think the city needs to resolve their issues with keeping rental units habitable. There currently is a crisis with the Kahn and Frenz properties, the city and it's oversight have failed the tenants of these properties. Even after properties have gone to the administrator progress has been limited since there is no money for property improvements. A property I lived in not long a go has gone on rent strike against the administrator. The City of Minneapolis, does not have the systems in place to keep current midsized properties habitable, and opening up more of the city especially lower income areas up to more rental properties when the city doesn't even have a way to resolve issues with thousands of current units makes no sense.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » April 4th, 2018, 11:39 am

Although, I'm for density I think the city needs to resolve their issues with keeping rental units habitable. There currently is a crisis with the Kahn and Frenz properties, the city and it's oversight have failed the tenants of these properties. Even after properties have gone to the administrator progress has been limited since there is no money for property improvements. A property I lived in not long a go has gone on rent strike against the administrator. The City of Minneapolis, does not have the systems in place to keep current midsized properties habitable, and opening up more of the city especially lower income areas up to more rental properties when the city doesn't even have a way to resolve issues with thousands of current units makes no sense.
I'm not a "Free markets solve all problems" kind of person, but I think you are getting different issues mixed up. Managing and maintaining properties takes time and resources that the city does not have dedicated. Normally, that is not a problem because it isn't their job, but in this case, they have taken control and have no resources to deal with it. Normally, it is only their responsibility to find problems and shut down problem sites. In this case, there were so many problem sites owned by a single entity that if they closed them all down, they would evict a large population with nowhere to go. I would argue that "maintaining large numbers of low-income/non-subsidized rental units" is one of the things that the city is not set up to do and could be handled better by the free market.

If the 2040 plan goes through, then eventually (it will take time) there will be more rentals available in a larger area and the people currently renting from slumlords would have choices to go somewhere else either before the city shuts it down or after. Nobody wants to live in a slum or rent from a slumlord, but if it is the only option then you make do. This should make it easier for the city to shut down problematic properties without leaving the residents out in the cold.

By the way, this is separate from the fact that many people living in or near poverty cannot afford a place to live that has a rent that A) they can afford, and B) is high enough for the owner to maintain the property and make a reasonable profit that makes it worth the while. This is a different problem than the city inspection/control issues above and has different solutions, though I will admit that they are related.

tmart
Rice Park

Postby tmart » April 4th, 2018, 12:29 pm

My hope is that allowing n-plexes (for small n) will diversify the ownership of rental units. I really hope we see more split-ownership and owner-occupied rental buildings, in particular. It would be good in terms of slowing down the ongoing consolidation of wealth, and I also think it will help with the quality of units and of tenant-landlord relationships. You're not going to let your own home deteriorate into a slum.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 4th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Plenty of homeowners let their own houses deteriorate. Many of the "worst" houses in my neighborhood are owner-occupied.

tmart
Rice Park

Postby tmart » April 4th, 2018, 2:35 pm

Plenty of homeowners let their own houses deteriorate. Many of the "worst" houses in my neighborhood are owner-occupied.
Sure! There's no panacea here. I'm just saying I think that having landlords with a bit more skin in the game--both in terms of their own lodgings being affected, and in terms of each unit representing a larger proportion of their personal wealth--is probably a net positive.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » April 4th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Yeah, just as small businesses owning their building allows them to stay in popular areas longer, resident-owned multiplexes allows average-ish people to own their home & a business that they are more likely to take care of.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » May 5th, 2018, 8:41 pm

I see that the Seward Neighborhood Group's community development committee will be discussing the city's draft comp plan on Tuesday, May 8, 7pm at Matthews Park.

According to the meeting announcement, the meeting is being held because CM Gordon indicated that comments submitted by neighborhood organizations may carry more weight than individual comments.

Anyone aware of other neighborhoods attempting to officially weigh-in on the comp plan?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 6th, 2018, 8:57 am

A representative from the City went to this week's DMNA Land Use meeting to explain it to us, but she just advised us to individually comment on the plan via the website. There wasn't any indication that we could weigh in as a neighborhood, or that it would be weighted higher if we did. Might just be a Cam thing?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » May 7th, 2018, 6:47 am

I hope it's an isolated thing. I really don't think it's appropriate for neighborhood groups to be amplifying the voices of the homeowners who make up those boards and who undoubtedly are already submitting individual comments. I was just curious if there was a movement afoot in other 'hoods.

schwinnletour
Metrodome

Postby schwinnletour » May 15th, 2018, 8:01 am

Attended the Minneapolis 2040 community outreach meeting at MLK last night and sat in a couple of the round table presentations. I was expecting to see neighbors carrying pitch forks and torches chanting "Follow the Money" based upon chatter on nextdoor.com but things were pretty even keel. It was nice to hear peoples input when they aren't hiding behind computer screens.

I thought the City did a good job on the outreach and it was fairly well attended. I recommend going to one of the remaining sessions if you can.

The only complaint was that the background music made it very difficult to hear people during discussions. It probably could have be omitted.

Next sessions:

Wednesday, May 16, 2018
5:30pm‐8:00pm
North Commons Recreation Center, 1801 N James Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55411
Help spread the word with this Facebook event.

Thursday, May 17, 2018
Dayton YMCA at Gaviidae Common, 651 Nicollet Mall #300, Minneapolis, MN 55402

Thursday, May 31, 2018
Powderhorn Recreation Center, 3400 S 15th Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55407

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 15th, 2018, 11:28 am

I’ve done some brief reading of the Minneapolis 2040 comprehensive plan. I am extremely pleased. I want to know what others think about this, it looks like Minneapolis is finally starting to move towards a form based code. Especially with their latest addition of the comprehensive plan.

I noticed that the comprehensive plan is beginning to shift his focus from separating uses to integrating them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 15th, 2018, 8:44 pm

Maybe they can coin the term “integrated, but equal”....

Re: the four-plex proposal, I’m all for it and want to see it pass through. I expect an absolute sh*t storm from separatists who want to keep their neighborhood in Mayberry.

Assuming I lived in a place like Linden Hills or Kenwood, I’d want integration as well, but I say that as somebody who doesn’t currently live there (and won’t, because it’s too monocentric for where we want to raise our family). However, if I had a million dollar home and was part of a neighborhood organization where we all maticulously maintained our properties and saw tremendous appreciation along the way, I can see the ire from some when lower-income people who rent their property are suddenly allowed to live on their same perfect personal slice of heaven. I’m not sure how I feel about that since, those who can afford to live anywhere, should — if you’re a capitalist like many Americans — be able to set the terms from which they live by (within the law/code). So on that front — and only that front — I can see why people would be upset: thinking that their property will depreciate if/when the city allows a bunch of renters and absentee landlords put up four-plexus on their block. And hey, I currently rent a house, so I’m obviously not biased against renters or living in a neighborhood that has a smattering of both renters and owners. But to be fair to the renter stereotype, even with the home we rent, as much as we want to present it beautifully and make sure we’re doing our part to keep the hood looking polished, we don’t care nearly as much for our home than we would if we had actually owned it, for a variety of reasons (e.g. we don’t know whether the Landlord or us is responsible for certain items, and we aren’t going to spend a ton of time/money into a home that only benefits somebody else — who happens to be charging us as well).

But, if the Linden Hills and Kenwoods of the city had more easygoing coding to allow more lower/middle income folks to live there, it would actually ATTRACT me to those nabes, not deter me. So I think the biggest deterrence to the zoning code change would be coming from longtime residents who have a killer amount of equity on their property and fear only bad things will affect that if renters are allowed to set up shop.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » July 16th, 2018, 7:50 am

I've read way too many Nextdoor threads on the 2040 Plan, many from homeowners in Linden Hills and Southwest. They'll use anything to justify why the plan is bad. There is a deep fear of change plus a sense that because they "worked harder" to be able to live in these neighborhoods, they should be able to decide how it looks in the future. They like their neighborhoods just fine and don't want anything to be different. They'll tell you they aren't against density or development - they just think it makes sense somewhere else. It has been frustrating to engage with people about the plan.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » July 16th, 2018, 8:06 am

By 2040 roughly 75% of those homeowners will be dead or in assisted living and none of this will matter. Their heirs who will inherit these properties mostly have a very different worldview.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » July 16th, 2018, 8:16 am

I've muted all of it on Nextdoor at this point. The same half dozen people repeating the same same ill informed fear mongering talking points over and over. Ire over our council member who was easily voted in. (we'll vote him out next time!) Great, it's your right, just realize there may be fewer people that think like you than you think given the support these platforms seem to have at the polls.

Ever since I got screwed on a real estate transaction during the downturn in 08, I've been very careful not to pin my financial future on my home and I think increasingly younger people will think of their homes not as a wealth vehicle but a place to live with a relatively fixed cost that may or may not increase in value over time. (and if it doesn't, have a backup plan). I know this is a foreign concept to a lot of boomers and even older gen x but I really think it's a better way to think about home ownership, and you get less stuck on NIMBYism as a part of your homeownership.