Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
MNdible
is great.

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby MNdible » February 28th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Packet for an apartment building across from Karmel Mall.

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 208870.pdf
This is Rana Village, which I think we have a thread for, right? The one that was originally proposed to have a Skyway to the Karmel Square?

Of special note, it includes the Sabri Suite!

And so much terrible tan cementitious siding.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » March 11th, 2018, 8:32 am

Love that it has so many family sized units, including many 3- and 4-BRs.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 15th, 2018, 9:16 am

In preparation to add 1,250 employees to their Home Mortgage campus, Wells Fargo is proposing to significantly expand their parking structure.

Planning Commission PDF here.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 15th, 2018, 9:57 am

Boo

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » March 15th, 2018, 10:05 am

I presume they're just going to pack more people in the existing buildings? Or is there another expansion coming?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 15th, 2018, 10:13 am

They say their current office space is underutilized because they don't have enough parking, so this new parking will enable them to fill their existing space.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 15th, 2018, 11:55 am

This, for example, would be a great location for an autonomous shuttle loop that would pick people up at the new Lake Street BRT station and then bring them to the campus.

Also interesting to note that they're not developing their whole surface lot, leaving what could be a future office expansion or potentially a housing site.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » March 16th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Another coffee shop giving it a try at 38th and 28th- https://www.dailycoffeeandprovisions.com/

jlpete87
Block E

Postby jlpete87 » March 18th, 2018, 9:35 am

Oak Properties has purchased multiple properties on Minnehaha north of 54th St S. Two contiguous pieces of land are on the east side just north of 54th and the west side of the Snelling Motel.
Interesting, Olin Properties (built Olin Crossings at Minnehaha & 53rd and the large residential building across the street) owned most all of the vacant property north of Snelling Motel (still does according to Hennepin County Property Tax info - but that's usually behind), as well as the lots at the corner of 54th & Minnehaha. The assembled all those lots prior to the market downturn. They had proposed an apartment building for the corner, but they neighbors opposed that. And then got a ROW variance and approval a two-phased apartment building for the lots north of Snelling Motel, that never happened.

Hopefully the new owner will actually build something here - it's such prime housing real estate!
There was a meeting in the community room at my building last Tuesday. Did anyone attend? I worked late and missed it, but I am curious as to what their plans are for this.

tmart
Rice Park

Postby tmart » March 19th, 2018, 8:45 am

In preparation to add 1,250 employees to their Home Mortgage campus, Wells Fargo is proposing to significantly expand their parking structure.

Planning Commission PDF here.
As much as I don't love parking garages in the middle of urban areas, at least it's just building up on a highway-adjacent surface lot. It's a great location in terms of the highway and the Greenway, but a lousy one in terms of transit, walkability, or general proximity to anything other than Wells Fargo.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 19th, 2018, 9:40 am

It's actually not very far from a bunch of stuff on Nicollet, it's just that the landscape you need to walk to get there is dominated by terribleness (i.e., a freeway).

But we've been through a year of complaints about congestion on 26th and 28th, because bikes!, while this actually has the potential to make those streets worse. (Granted, those complaints are most unfounded, but still).

nstudenski
Metrodome

Postby nstudenski » March 20th, 2018, 5:40 am

Anyone know where the employees are coming from? I know Wells has a LOT of people in the area but I figured most of the consolidation would be to the new buildings downtown.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » March 20th, 2018, 7:12 am

The south Minneapolis campus is employees in the mortgage division. Pre-campus many years ago most were downtown or at a site across from the Mall of America. The downtown location is just about everything else back office they have in town, they also still have some space in the Wells Fargo Tower. They also have a sizeable amount of space at Metropoint at 394/169 which is also mostly mortgage employees.

This shows where they come from:
https://twitter.com/WedgeLIVE/status/975923824863592448

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » March 20th, 2018, 11:09 am

They also have a site in Eagan as well, off 55 just east of 35E. I think that site is close to 100,000 sq. ft.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » April 25th, 2018, 8:08 am

Anybody know where dirt that is piling up east of Hiawatha and south of Lake St. is coming from?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 25th, 2018, 10:32 am

Anybody know where dirt that is piling up east of Hiawatha and south of Lake St. is coming from?
My guess is the new apartment being constructed on the west side of Hiawatha, south of the new office building on Lake.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » April 25th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Anyone know what's going on with the Burger King at Nicollet and 34th? It's been closed for a week now. There's a sign on the door that says it will re-open, but I'm started to think something more might be going on. I haven't seen anyone onsite doing repairs/remodeling (I live nearby). Maybe they had a really bad health code violation?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 25th, 2018, 1:30 pm

My guess is the new apartment being constructed on the west side of Hiawatha, south of the new office building on Lake.
Nope, there wasn't any excavation for that apartment because they're using underground parking built for the Hennepin County building.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » April 25th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Saw on social media that Finer Meats is now listed as 'Permanently Closed' when you do the initial google search thing. I was under the impression they were remodeling. Anyone have any insight?

EDIT: per their facebook page, it appears the food truck is still in operation as of yesterday...

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » April 26th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Anyone know what's going on with the Burger King at Nicollet and 34th? It's been closed for a week now. There's a sign on the door that says it will re-open, but I'm started to think something more might be going on. I haven't seen anyone onsite doing repairs/remodeling (I live nearby). Maybe they had a really bad health code violation?
In other weird Burger King closing randomly news:

https://www.sctimes.com/story/money/201 ... 551688002/