Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby VacantLuxuries » April 25th, 2018, 1:14 pm

TC&W operates out of Glencoe, MN

Glencoe, MN is represented in the state senate by David Osmek, who was so excited to have the opportunity to attack a supporter of SWLRT he forgot how to spell 'dream'.

I imagine a conversation took place here.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » April 25th, 2018, 1:34 pm

TC&W operates out of Glencoe, MN

Glencoe, MN is represented in the state senate by David Osmek, who was so excited to have the opportunity to attack a supporter of SWLRT he forgot how to spell 'dream'.

I imagine a conversation took place here.
This man is our own version of Donald Trump...... he needs to loose re-election.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 25th, 2018, 1:35 pm

...bringing it to the courts will likely have real effects in terms of wasting even more time and money. Not to mention eroding political will and reinforcing the reputation as "the controversial beleaguered transit project."
Yeah, but if they come to a settlement, the court case would be dropped.

I mean, obviously it would be better if railroads weren't given all of this absurd power to be obstructionist, and if they'd sorted this out 25 years ago, etc.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 25th, 2018, 2:05 pm

I want to know more about Mr. Mark J. Wegner. Does anyone know how to look up campaign donations and etc? I suspect he may be using his position for political means. Which I guess he has the right to do?

tmart
Rice Park

Postby tmart » April 25th, 2018, 2:33 pm

I want to know more about Mr. Mark J. Wegner. Does anyone know how to look up campaign donations and etc? I suspect he may be using his position for political means. Which I guess he has the right to do?
Here ya go!

Since 2010 he's just given annually to the American Short Line & Regional Railroad Association (go figure!). Before that he gave $250 to Walz, Oberstar, Dave Obey (a Wisconsin Dem), and Tom Petri's (Wisconsin R) PAC.

Nothing interesting on the federal side. State data may be harder to track down but presumably is public record as well.

tmart
Rice Park

Postby tmart » April 25th, 2018, 2:40 pm

OK, I think I found state expenditures as well.

$300 to Senate Victory Fund (a MN GOP PAC), $125 to Terry Morrow (DFL) in 2012, $250 to AGPAC (agriculture) in 2015, and $250 to Emmer's gov run in 2010.

Nothing in there stands out. I don't think there's any evidence of corruption here. Just a for-profit company trying to extract as much as they can out of a bit of leverage they've stumbled into.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 25th, 2018, 2:47 pm

OK, I think I found state expenditures as well.

$300 to Senate Victory Fund (a MN GOP PAC), $125 to Terry Morrow (DFL) in 2012, $250 to AGPAC (agriculture) in 2015, and $250 to Emmer's gov run in 2010.

Nothing in there stands out. I don't think there's any evidence of corruption here. Just a for-profit company trying to extract as much as they can out of a bit of leverage they've stumbled into.
I agree, it's the only thing that makes sense. Is the suit going to put this thing on ice?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » April 25th, 2018, 2:52 pm

It might be a combination of this and construction costs making it too difficult for any contractor bid to meet what they've budgeted for.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 25th, 2018, 3:05 pm

If my research serves me correctly this RR was in the Midtown Greenway, but forced out by the Blue Line/Hiawatha Highway redo and is now operating on a deteriorating temporary line? That might be why they're making a money grab. If they kill the goose however, they'll never receive the egg.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » April 25th, 2018, 3:28 pm

If my research serves me correctly this RR was in the Midtown Greenway, but forced out by the Blue Line/Hiawatha Highway redo and is now operating on a deteriorating temporary line? That might be why they're making a money grab. If they kill the goose however, they'll never receive the egg.
This is not a deteriorating line. The rails through the Kenilworth Corridor were replaced in 2012. West of there the rails are from the 70s but still support 25 mph freight trains.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » April 25th, 2018, 7:07 pm

Nationalize the railroads when? Would be a helluva lot easier than how things work now. :roll:

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » April 25th, 2018, 9:17 pm

So I emailed Mark as a concerned citizen, and he is willing to grab coffee and talk to me about it.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201804 ... 0fd121.jpg[/IMG]

Should I?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 25th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Why not? When he visited the CAC several years ago he really played to the Safety in the Park people by explaining why a freight reroute was not feasible. While he was probably correct, he was definitely looking out for #1. I don't buy his "concerned lifelong Twin Cities resident" schtick one bit.

Still, it would be interesting to hear the "more."

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » April 26th, 2018, 8:00 am

I would. In fact, that sounds like the best way to cut through the local media's "let's drive those anti-metro clicks" spin on the story.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » April 26th, 2018, 8:06 am

I would. In fact, that sounds like the best way to cut through the local media's "let's drive those anti-metro clicks" spin on the story.
Alright, I emailed him back to set up a time to talk.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 26th, 2018, 11:53 am

I suspect he has good reasons from his perspective for his actions. It's just unfortunate that it's costing the taxpayers and the thousands who would ride the SWLRT.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 26th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Y'know, we used to have good corporate citizens; companies that did things for the city/region/state even if it cost them a little. 40 years of extreme capitalist rhetoric has destroyed our collective memory of it. Now, "it's just business," and, "this is normal business practice," and "they're just looking out for the company.'

Yes, that's exactly the problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » April 26th, 2018, 7:08 pm

So, if the railroads don't play nice, are we basically looking at going back to the alignment drawing board for both SWLRT and BOTLRT?

tmart
Rice Park

Postby tmart » April 26th, 2018, 7:26 pm

I'm not entirely sure I even understand their role in all this. Isn't this about the segment that they're already trying to put in public ownership? Do they also need consent from all the existing users to allow other usages on the track? If it's not even going to keep TCW from using it in the future, what's the regulatory angle? And why isn't there some kind of eminent domain or equivalent process to allow the state to use the rail for a clear public benefit?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 26th, 2018, 7:58 pm

Passenger rail users *seem* a natural political ally. This feels like unnecessary poisoning the well. Can’t help even seeing it from the lens of rural vs. urban ... I’m trying not to.