Schafer Richardson offices & parking ramp - 1000 3rd St N (Zuccaro’s Produce building)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Re: Schafer Richardson offices & parking ramp - 1000 3rd St N (Zuccaro’s Produce building)

Postby dajazz » April 20th, 2018, 9:59 am

I'm a little surprised they're going for fewer than 0.5 parking spots per unit. This area of the North Loop is pretty poor for transit access. So either they've realized other nearby places are oversupplied with parking, or they're planning on relying on the ramp across the street.
I'm assuming since it's their ramp across the street that they intentionally went low on parking for this development to save costs and also increase demand on the ramp.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Schafer Richardson offices & parking ramp - 1000 3rd St N (Zuccaro’s Produce building)

Postby SurlyLHT » April 20th, 2018, 10:02 am

I'm a little surprised they're going for fewer than 0.5 parking spots per unit. This area of the North Loop is pretty poor for transit access. So either they've realized other nearby places are oversupplied with parking, or they're planning on relying on the ramp across the street.
If the NL could get something like Uptown Target, that'd be a big win for the neighborhood.
It would be great to get something like Target here, but I'm a little skeptical this is the spot for such a place. This is effectively the end of the North Loop. If you're relying on a lot of neighborhood/foot traffic, you've essentially cut off half your walkshed, because everything to the north/west is highway and industrial. It would seem that if Target (or CVS, Walgreens, etc.) wanted to serve the North Loop, they'd be better off moving a little further into the neighborhood. That said, it's hard to imagine what else would go in such a large space?
Fresh Thyme? I could also see Target. But you're right, this is almost in North Minneapolis.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » April 20th, 2018, 10:05 am

If the NL could get something like Uptown Target, that'd be a big win for the neighborhood.
It would be great to get something like Target here, but I'm a little skeptical this is the spot for such a place. This is effectively the end of the North Loop. If you're relying on a lot of neighborhood/foot traffic, you've essentially cut off half your walkshed, because everything to the north/west is highway and industrial. It would seem that if Target (or CVS, Walgreens, etc.) wanted to serve the North Loop, they'd be better off moving a little further into the neighborhood. That said, it's hard to imagine what else would go in such a large space?
I'd love to see a City Target or a Walgreens/CVS incorporated into a mixed use development on the surface lots across from the Sex World building. Alternatively the apartments set to be constructed on 2nd & 2nd are supposed to have a lot of retail space, if West Elm pulls out of their retail plans for that location it could be a viable location for Target/CVS/Walgreens.

transplant
Metrodome

Postby transplant » April 20th, 2018, 1:44 pm

These are very small units - I am guessing they will not come with a parking space and it will be optional to rent one for an additional cost. When I worked in Miami Beach we did a lot of hotels and the city had a 375 SF MINIMUM hotel room size in their zoning code. The smallest units in this building are 375 SF. I think as an overall building this is a product we haven't seen before in downtown. All the units are very small. It will be interesting to see how fast this rents up if it gets built.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » May 2nd, 2018, 12:48 pm

Planning Staff recommending the project be denied:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/p ... MSP-210587

Should make for an interesting meeting next week.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 2nd, 2018, 1:04 pm

I don't get why they'd recommend denial on this at least on my first tl;dr reading of the packet.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » May 2nd, 2018, 1:20 pm

Because it's in a transitional industrial zone?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 2nd, 2018, 1:24 pm

...which has higher and better uses than industrial...

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » May 2nd, 2018, 1:29 pm

No, they actually recommend denial of "reguiding" the future land use from Industrial to Transitional Industrial. I really don't know what to make of this. Apparently the North Loop is intended to have an extremely stark cut-off between the neighborhood and pure industrial?

The portion of the small-area plan quoted in the packet doesn't even really apply to this site any more:

'The North Loop Small Area Plan identifies this part of the neighborhood as the “Protected Industrial” area and
states, “It is a beneficial location for industrial businesses because it has nearby freeway access, contains larger
sites, has access to rail, and is generally separated from housing (therefore avoiding common land use conflicts
that arise between industrial and residential properties).” '

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 2nd, 2018, 3:23 pm

If we want to save industrial, why here? Why not the Northeast area?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » May 2nd, 2018, 3:27 pm

Saving industrial will buffer North Loop from the Northside? This is nearly to Plymouth Ave N. It's also kind of ironic given that the Mpls Housing Authority offices next door aren't industrial.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » May 3rd, 2018, 9:58 am

Yeah, I'm very confused why this project is an issue. This area is already not particularly industrial. The very block the project is located on has the public housing office and a school. There's essentially no industrial anywhere in the North Loop except for the Farmers Market area.

And the fact that they quoted the North Loop SAP with the quote, "...and is generally separated from housing (therefore avoiding common land use conflicts that arise between industrial and residential properties)" is ridiculous, because this site is literally across the street from a condo building and other residential properties are within a half block.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 3rd, 2018, 11:19 am

I can't imagine CPED really not wanting to see this project in this location, so one of these scenarios seems likely:
1. This is some policy/political ploy to point out something with our zoning code and be a catalyst for change (but nothing sticks out).
2. They are following the zoning map to the letter because they are trying to get some sort of concession from the developer on this property.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » May 3rd, 2018, 11:28 am

It may be related to the draft Minneapolis 2040 guidelines, which would prohibit residential development here - it's designated as a Production and Processing future land use category. It's unfortunate....

https://minneapolis2040.com/topics/land-use-built-form/

"Production and Processing areas are suitable for a wide range of employment-focused development. These areas are designated with the intent of protecting them from encroaching non-industrial uses that could erode the diverse job base that these uses provide. Residential uses are strictly prohibited."

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 3rd, 2018, 1:32 pm

Slight tangent- does anyone know why the existing structure was/is not included in the Minneapolis Warehouse Historic District? It was built during the period of significance, and even retained more (most) of its original appearance at the time the district was designated.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 7th, 2018, 5:18 pm

It was approved by the planning commission

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 7th, 2018, 5:34 pm

Good, I think that's how it should have worked. It's the staff's job to interpret the zoning codes as written, and as written, there shouldn't be residential development on this site. It's the CPC's job to realize that the code as written doesn't reflect the changes that have happened and that we want to continue to happen in a given area, and to go against the staff recommendation for stuff like this.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » July 11th, 2019, 11:46 am

looks like the demolition of the building is starting soon. Fencing was going up to day and delivery of a large demolition excavator.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » July 24th, 2019, 7:49 pm

Building is demolished: https://imgur.com/9HyBYo9