Mall of America Transit Station

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby LRV Op Dude » May 12th, 2018, 11:51 am

Has anyone heard about the rebid on this project? I have not seen anything new.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 15th, 2018, 8:44 am

Has anyone heard about the rebid on this project? I have not seen anything new.
From the 2-18-18 Transportation Committee's Minutes, where they recommended the Council reject the three high bids:
"Going forward, Metro Transit plans to consider scope changes to reduce the construction costs while not affecting the function of the new transit center. Meetings will be conducted with stakeholders to discuss the options before the project is rebid."

I don't see any mention of rebid in any council agendas up through the current month. So we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » June 12th, 2018, 6:40 pm

Looks like finally starting construction.
Mall of America Transit Station Renovations

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 13th, 2018, 8:07 am

I thought they were having to scale this project back because of a funding problem. Were they able to come up with the necessary funding through a different means? If not, what parts of the project were scaled back? I hope they still kept the proposed escalator entrance into the mall. It’s going to be so nice to be able to get inside the mall without having to walk across the street.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 13th, 2018, 8:46 am

I thought they were having to scale this project back because of a funding problem. Were they able to come up with the necessary funding through a different means? If not, what parts of the project were scaled back? I hope they still kept the proposed escalator entrance into the mall. It’s going to be so nice to be able to get inside the mall without having to walk across the street.
I believe they were able to get a lower bid by working with stakeholders.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 13th, 2018, 8:48 am

I believe they were able to get a lower bid by working with stakeholders.
https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetin ... 46-SW.aspx

According to this document they will still have the escalator directly into the mall.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » July 25th, 2018, 11:33 am

Ceremonial Groundbreaking for Mall of America Transit Station

Thursday, August 2
9:30 – 10:00 a.m.
Program to begin at 9:30
MOA east side, at the intersection of 24th / 82st. East. This area is adjacent to the MOA’s east parking ramp.

Program:
• Chair Alene Tchourumoff, Metropolitan Council
• Mayor Gene Winstead, Bloomington
• Commissioner Peter McLaughlin, Hennepin County/Former CTIB Chair
• Kurt Hagen, Senior Vice President of Development, Mall of America
• Brian Lamb, General Manager, Metro Transit
• Groundbreaking and pictures

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 25th, 2018, 3:23 pm

Still baffled that the City of Bloomington is contributing $5MM to this (WHY??) and Mall of America is contributing $0 (except the ongoing use of their property, which I guess is not nothing). Does anyone know if Metro Transit is paying rent to MOA? Gotta believe they are and it probably ain't cheap. It's easy to forget that this transit station is not public property.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 25th, 2018, 3:51 pm

Per this 2015 Strib article:
One Met Council member, Jon Commers, asked at a meeting last month whether the Mall of America’s owner, Canada-based Triple Five, could pitch in financially. “There needs to be some recognition of the incredible value that’s created with these transit stations,” he said.

MOA officials disagree, noting in a statement the mall has already paid millions in transit and property taxes, as well as contributed land and easements for the station. The Met Council paid $250,000 in 1992 for the station’s original easement, a deal that was extended through 2043.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 25th, 2018, 9:45 pm

IDEA: What if we just enact a 0.5% transit sales tax at MOA (though not on clothes obviously, but there's still plenty of restaurant & entertainment revenue to tax)

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 26th, 2018, 10:51 am

IDEA: What if we just enact a 0.5% transit sales tax at MOA (though not on clothes obviously, but there's still plenty of restaurant & entertainment revenue to tax)
Not to be a bug, but doesn't Hennepin County already collect a 0.5% transit sales tax on MOA (taxable) purchases, and everywhere else in the county? I'm confused. Or do you mean increase MOA to be 1% transit sale tax (.5% on top of the .5%)?

mulad

Postby mulad » August 1st, 2018, 6:51 am

I've been wondering if there's already some sort of extra tax at the mall that I've been previously unaware of, or if it's just something the mall imposes on itself (probably the latter). People who work at the mall can often get a 10-15% discount, which usually means taking an inflated price down to something that's still a bit higher than what you'd pay elsewhere. Another 0.5% would hardly be noticeable...

As for the transit center, I feel it would be best for the mall to take it over as their own property, which might get it on a better cleaning/maintenance/remodeling schedule. It has been a world apart from the rest of the mall interior, though the current transit center is pretty old at this point (was the same structure used prior to LRT? I never went through it back then...), and the parking garages don't get the same attention as the mall interior either.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » August 1st, 2018, 8:30 am

The transit center received a light facelift when the light rail opened, but otherwise is the same with the light rail dropped in the center of the bus loop. I do seem to remember that the transit store was where the police station is now.

mulad

Postby mulad » August 1st, 2018, 11:36 am

Some signs were up when I came in this morning saying construction is set to begin August 13th.

It's unfortunate that the store has been closed for so many years at this point. Maybe Metro Transit could get one of the mall tenants to be a Go-To Card retailer, such as the upcoming Walgreens. It's by the east side entrance, albeit up on the 4th floor...

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » August 1st, 2018, 11:48 am

Some signs were up when I came in this morning saying construction is set to begin August 13th.

It's unfortunate that the store has been closed for so many years at this point. Maybe Metro Transit could get one of the mall tenants to be a Go-To Card retailer, such as the upcoming Walgreens. It's by the east side entrance, albeit up on the 4th floor...
There is a machine that sells Go-To card in the waiting area.

mulad

Postby mulad » August 2nd, 2018, 3:48 pm

Yes, but sometimes we need people around to handle the unusual transactions. I think my card is beginning to fail, for instance, and I'll eventually need to go to a store to get my balance and account transferred to a new one. I don't think people should need to go downtown for things like that.

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » August 3rd, 2018, 10:43 am

If we were going to staff one transit center, and one transit center only, I would think the busiest transit hub in the state probably deserves a staffed customer center.
Jonathan Ahn, AICP | [email protected]
Personal thoughts and personal opinion only. May include incomplete information.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 6th, 2018, 7:46 am

It's a busy transit hub because there's not much to do there other than connect between routes. I still bet Downtown Minneapolis, within maybe a 1/4 or 1/2 mi walk of the MT store on Marquette, has multiples more transit trips start, end, or connect.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » August 6th, 2018, 9:04 am

I'm guessing there's no data to see how many MOA visitors and employees get there by transit?

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 21st, 2019, 6:37 am

Got some pictures of the construction work at the new Mall of America transit station this morning.

Where exactly will the new escalator from the mall of America transit station to the interior of the mall be located?

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk