RBC Gateway & Four Seasons - 37 stories - 519'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Re: United Properties / Four Seasons "Gateway" Project (Nicollet Hotel Block)

Postby mister.shoes » June 7th, 2018, 2:53 pm

There must be some mistake, where is the parking podium?
Right? Three levels of underground parking? I thought Opus said it wasn't feasible one whole block away (diagonally).

Count me in the "Huh. I really like this." camp.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Seth
Metrodome

Postby Seth » June 7th, 2018, 2:54 pm

WHY is it so disjointed? What am I supposed to be looking at? There's no sense to this. Why is it floating? This thing is all sorts of strange, and not in the good ways..
Agree.
Also, why would they place a garage entrance on the most prominent corner. They're really missing an opportunity to do something great there.
Where else were they going to put it? This site has the challenge of sitting on arguably the three most prominent streets in the city; Hennepin, Washington and Nicollet. Third is really the only feasible spot given the circumstances
I'd say the could probably have done without an entrance to the garage there with the existing one on third. However, as a Four Seasons guest it would be pretty tacky to have the valet drive my car around a couple extra blocks. ;)

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 7th, 2018, 3:03 pm

I'm excited about the plaza - it looks great, to the point that it would be a shame to tear it up for the streetcar. Luckily, I don't think there's actually any danger of that at this point...
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » June 7th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Agree.
Also, why would they place a garage entrance on the most prominent corner. They're really missing an opportunity to do something great there.
Where else were they going to put it? This site has the challenge of sitting on arguably the three most prominent streets in the city; Hennepin, Washington and Nicollet. Third is really the only feasible spot given the circumstances
I'd say the could probably have done without an entrance to the garage there with the existing one on third. However, as a Four Seasons guest it would be pretty tacky to have the valet drive my car around a couple extra blocks. ;)
Oh, okay. I totally missed that there's an entrance on the corner of Hennepin and Washington. I agree with you that it sucks to have a garage entrance there, but with all the restrictions attached to this block (no cars on Nicollet, transit development requirement) I don't see how else it's possible. Count me in the camp that thinks this thing ain't too bad now.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 7th, 2018, 3:09 pm

There must be some mistake, where is the parking podium?
Right? Three levels of underground parking? I thought Opus said it wasn't feasible one whole block away (diagonally).

Count me in the "Huh. I really like this." camp.
Yeah, Opus is full of crap. Within a block of them, this has three levels underground, the library and Marquette Plaza have two, and the Crossings has four.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » June 7th, 2018, 3:13 pm

I get what they were going for and I really like it in concept but it just doesn't work for some reason. It reminds me of the Wells Fargo Tower with the vertical ribs breaking up the glass facade. I guess it isn't elegant enough to pull it off maybe if it was a few stories tall (I'm not just saying that as a fan of height either) or if they continue the curve the setbacks form as you look at the building from the side, it kinda just pulls way back at the top.

Two other things I noticed was that RBC wants a sign at the top of the building facing downtown, I'm pretty sure there is an ordinance against that. They are also including a structure supporting street cars cutting across the block in the garage if that ever happens.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 7th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Still just doesn't have the correct proportions to be an elegant building, it looks nicely appointed but is lopsided and has a couple glaring awkward moments, the far to rapid step backs at the top and the almost overhang over a ramp to a garage and a strange curved wall that seems out of place. The "podium" facing Nicollet looks like it belongs on entirely different building, very clunky.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » June 7th, 2018, 3:34 pm

They are also including a structure supporting street cars cutting across the block in the garage if that ever happens.
There's a stipulation on this lot that it must have public transit integrated into it. Why this sat as a bus layover facility for so long.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » June 7th, 2018, 3:59 pm

Did they shove a tower from one proposal and the base from another together at the last second? Not sure how else it would end up like that.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 7th, 2018, 4:03 pm

Still just doesn't have the correct proportions to be an elegant building, it looks nicely appointed but is lopsided and has a couple glaring awkward moments, the far too rapid step backs at the top and the almost overhang over a ramp to a garage and a strange curved wall that seems out of place. The "podium" facing Nicollet looks like it belongs on entirely different building, very clunky.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » June 7th, 2018, 6:23 pm

The city's new 8th tallest tower is looking better and better.
9th. “Eleven” is taller :)

If all goes well, there will be three towers over 480 feet going up at the same time.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Re: RE: Re: United Properties / Four Seasons "Gateway" Project (Nicollet Hotel Block)

Postby MinnMonkey » June 7th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Two other things I noticed was that RBC wants a sign at the top of the building facing downtown, I'm pretty sure there is an ordinance against that.
That's the first thing I noticed. I hope the city doesn't allow a variance to the sign ordinance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

datasage
City Center

Re: Gateway Tower (Four Seasons/RBC) - 43 stories - 513'

Postby datasage » June 7th, 2018, 7:46 pm

This looks better than some of the initial images, but the podium doesn't quite work with the building design. Most of the edges are straight and the volume is most made of cubic shapes. Then you have this curved facade with the rest of the tower jutting over it.

Sometimes contrast can make the building more interesting, but in this case it seems haphazardly placed. Hopefully they fix that before going forward with the building.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 8th, 2018, 6:15 am

I’m surprise the idea of a Nickel Avenue street car he still out there. I would much rather see Nicklett Avenue have a bus BRT Set up. Once the slot., Where are the bus is going to use as their turnaround point? I believe the currently use this lot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ko123
City Center

Postby ko123 » June 8th, 2018, 6:56 am

First glance, I really like it, especially considering all the challenges of the site and different uses. They have even incorporated structure for a future trolley / streetcar line which explains the curved building line at the landscape plaza at corner of Washington Ave and Nicollet. A bit disappointing that the architecture and engineering teams are all Atlanta based.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » June 8th, 2018, 7:30 am

7 stories of residential? Has that been increased from the last proposal?

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » June 8th, 2018, 8:30 am

Yes, surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but (if I'm reading correctly) the condo component has increased to 50 units. They also now describe a potential scenario where both the hotel and condos components are replaced with apartments if the hotel is "deemed unfeasible".

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » June 8th, 2018, 9:15 am

Cool.
Towns!

Lisa I. RoadBot
City Center

Postby Lisa I. RoadBot » June 8th, 2018, 12:05 pm

The Hennepin Avenue side of this building seems to be it's rear end- Favored renderings show the Nicollet side more often-
Not as many interesting features on the podium on the Hennepin side? (maybe I should look at the renderings before commenting)
Maybe this is a mullet of a building, Business in the front, Party in the back (?)

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » June 8th, 2018, 12:26 pm

I think the Hennepin side will look fine from the street.
Towns!