L&H Station - Hennepin County - Minneapolis Public Schools site

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: L&H Station - Hennepin County - Minneapolis Public Schools site

Postby Qhaberl » May 7th, 2018, 9:56 pm

How many apartments are in the first phase? I am sure its somewhere up thread, but if someone knows off hand that would be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dillonfried
City Center

Postby dillonfried » May 8th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Here is the new ABE building as of last night.
ABE1.jpg
ABE2.jpg

dillonfried
City Center

Postby dillonfried » May 8th, 2018, 2:35 pm

It will have 123 total dwelling units consisting of 36 studios, 69 1-bedrooms, and 18 2-bedrooms.
How many apartments are in the first phase? I am sure its somewhere up thread, but if someone knows off hand that would be cool.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 12th, 2018, 2:46 pm

On Saturday I returned to Minneapolis from Rochester via 52/55 and when I got to Lake it was great to see all the density that has been built up. I felt like my first urban welcome as I entered the city.

dillonfried
City Center

Postby dillonfried » June 12th, 2018, 10:59 pm

I was just looking at the plan for subsequent phases on the site and there's eventually going to be 3 more 6 story buildings and 1 at 4 stories. That's going to be a lot of housing within a block of the LRT station.

I was also just at Target the other day and paused for a moment in the parking lot to shake my head. What a shame over there.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 13th, 2018, 8:05 am

The first phase of apartments seem to be coming along really nice. I was over there a few weeks ago and got some good pictures. Anybody know when the new ABE building is scheduled to open? I am very eager to see the old one demolished and replaced with something more urban friendly.

In regards to the second, third, and fourth phase of apartments, can they build any more of the phases without having to wait until the existing education building is demolished?

I hope they give tours of the new ABE building. I would love to get a chance to go in and see it.

dillonfried
City Center

Postby dillonfried » June 13th, 2018, 9:01 am

MPS has to start paying rent at the old ABE building I believe in November so they are incentivized to be out of there by this fall. The old building does need to be demolished and the whole area will be regraded down to near street level for the next phase to get started. Phase 2 is supposed to include the new plaza for the Midtown Farmers Market and at least one new residential building, possibly two at the same time.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 13th, 2018, 9:14 am

They start paying rent in September which is why MPS is going to move in November during Thanksgiving break rather than waiting for winter break and paying that extra month and a half of rent

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 13th, 2018, 9:23 am

Anyone think this building will be demolished before the spring of next year?

dillonfried
City Center

Postby dillonfried » June 13th, 2018, 6:22 pm

It certainly seems that things are lining up for phase 2 of this project to be underway next year. MPS will be out of the existing building by late November and the first residents are scheduled to move into the new residential building December 1st. According to an article in the most recent Corcoran News by the market manager the Midtown Farmers Market is looking at alternate locations for summer 2019.

That said there are a lot of stakeholders involved with moving phase 2 forward so it may take a while to get all of the details ironed out.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 30th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Developer planning 432-unit apartment complex in south Minneapolis
*LOCKED*

Developers are bringing forward plans for a three-building apartment project with 432 units at the southwest corner of the intersection of East Lake Street and Hiawatha Avenue.

The project is the second phase of the L&H Station development — it lies near the Lake Street/Midtown Blue Line station. The first phase, a $150 million mixed-use building, is opening to residents this Saturday, with a building that touches 22nd Avenue and has 123 units.

Gist:
Building 1 - construction start summer 2019, 6 story 142 market-rate units (primarily studios), $24 million
Building 2 - construction start spring 2020, 5 story 113 affordable senior-living units, $30 million
Building 3 - construction start fall 2020, 5 story, 177 mixed-income units, $42 million

dillonfried
City Center

Postby dillonfried » March 12th, 2019, 7:11 pm

I believe phase 2 of this project passed through the Planning Commission yesterday.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 217524.pdf

The final 3 residential buildings and the public plaza are all included in phase 2. Last week fencing went up around the old MPS Adult Education building, scaffolding is also going up. Demolition should be underway soon.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 7th, 2019, 5:53 am

Ride by this building on the train every week. Here are a few pictures from this morning. The old school building is completely demolished. The land is completely flattened out. Looks like they are ready to start the new building construction.

ABgraphics
Block E

Postby ABgraphics » June 28th, 2020, 8:47 pm

Hey I live at the Southsider.

Management put up a few poster boards about Southsider Phase B, construction starting this summer, I've seen a few contractors surveying on the empty lot this past week.

I'll be glad to have the empty lot gone, too many people using it for off-roading and launching fireworks.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 5th, 2020, 7:33 am

Phase 2 starts this week. (Locked)

The article says this is the second of four phases, so I guess they might just be doing the first (147-unit, next to the farmers market plaza) market-rate building for now?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » August 5th, 2020, 8:33 am

Very good news that this is breaking ground as it’s very important to see continued investment on this part of Lake Street given all that has happened this year as well as the continued build up around the blue line.

dillonfried
City Center

Postby dillonfried » August 5th, 2020, 9:31 am

That's correct. The building they are starting work on this week is all market rate with emphasis on micro-units to keep rents affordable. Phase 3 would be affordable senior housing, south of the plaza and near the LRT wall. Phase 4 would be mixed affordable and market rate units at the southwest portion of the site.
Phase 2 starts this week. (Locked)

The article says this is the second of four phases, so I guess they might just be doing the first (147-unit, next to the farmers market plaza) market-rate building for now?

ABgraphics
Block E

Postby ABgraphics » August 14th, 2020, 8:57 pm

They have the area that will be used for phase 3 fenced off, and I saw them clearing some southern parking medians. Are they going to start prep work for phase 3 during phase 2?

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » October 19th, 2021, 9:56 am

The second apartment building, B-side, appears to be done (I've seen ads for rentals on FB) and they're finishing up the plaza next to the station. Anyone know if they'll start on another of the buildings? Or if the farmers market would move back to this space?

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » November 16th, 2021, 8:44 am

The fenced off staging area (where the third building would go) is being emptied out and the desire path from 31st to the light rail station is no longer blocked off. This leads me to believe construction is done and they won't be breaking ground on the next building for now.