OX-OP Gallery and Residences.

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
bapster2006
Foshay Tower

OX-OP Gallery and Residences.

Postby bapster2006 » June 21st, 2018, 1:57 pm

New 8-story building on 11th Ave S by Day Block. Look like Grumpys is demolished.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 211982.pdf

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Re: OX-OP Gallery and Residences.

Postby VacantLuxuries » June 21st, 2018, 2:15 pm

Nice building, but man that sucks about Grumpys

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » June 21st, 2018, 2:18 pm

It says the 11th St Bikeway will be replacing the bollards with an actual curb this summer. Was that known? Are there visuals of that?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 21st, 2018, 2:25 pm

That was announced and presented to the DMNA in Aprilish. The residents of the various Stanton buildings around 2nd/11th are raising hell; I'm not sure if it's delayed because of that or if it's still on its slow, secretive schedule.

ETA: I'm not that thrilled about this one. As much as I like watching this part of Washington transform away from decaying industrial uses, it would be a lot easier to swallow the loss of Grumpy's if it was being replaced with an actual active use on Washington.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 21st, 2018, 2:38 pm

It says the 11th St Bikeway will be replacing the bollards with an actual curb this summer. Was that known? Are there visuals of that?
https://www.ourstreetsmpls.org/new_prot ... oming_2018

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 21st, 2018, 2:42 pm

That was announced and presented to the DMNA in Aprilish. The residents of the various Stanton buildings around 2nd/11th are raising hell; I'm not sure if it's delayed because of that or if it's still on its slow, secretive schedule.
Raising hell about the bikeway upgrade? What are their arguments against?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 21st, 2018, 2:58 pm

Apparently they've been under the impression that the bollards were just a temporary thing, and that since they obviously weren't working for the people that moved downtown and insisted on continuing to drive everywhere, they would soon be removed so they could zooooom out to 35W as God intended.

The revelation that PW is planning to pour concrete put a bit of a damper on that dream.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » June 21st, 2018, 3:18 pm

Big ol' L. O. L. at that site plan. Guess they had big dreams that ran into some serious site control issues on that block.

Not a super futureproof building footprint.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 21st, 2018, 3:32 pm

Apparently they've been under the impression that the bollards were just a temporary thing, and that since they obviously weren't working for the people that moved downtown and insisted on continuing to drive everywhere, they would soon be removed so they could zooooom out to 35W as God intended.

The revelation that PW is planning to pour concrete put a bit of a damper on that dream.
Hard to imagine they can win that one. I doubt either Frey or Fletcher wants to be that guy.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 21st, 2018, 4:08 pm

This is going to be a rough one... looks... Ok. Could be better mixed use. Do they have air rights of the neighboring lots, could be real awkward with future developments.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » June 21st, 2018, 4:14 pm

I am not a fan of pretty much any part of this, which isn't something I thought I would say about a development that eats up a bunch of surface parking.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » June 21st, 2018, 4:52 pm

If the neighboring properties are ever developed, then large parts of this building will lose value. I guess that might qualify as future affordable housing?

The other major problem I see is the lack of active frontage on Washington. They should make the giant front lobby into commercial space and use the area reserved for three walk-up units as the apartment lobby. That would help.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 22nd, 2018, 9:32 am

Yeah, the Planning Commission needs to send this one back to the drawing board.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » June 22nd, 2018, 9:54 am

Yeah, this one is just 1) not a looker, and 2) removing Grumpy's and replacing it with a "gallery" seems like a really good way to make that stretch just a *little* more dead.

Really hoping the developer reconsiders or this gets sent back.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » June 22nd, 2018, 11:59 am

OXXO would be perfect for the commercial space. This town needs michelada de camaron.
Towns!

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 22nd, 2018, 2:08 pm

This is a little bit of a gateway space to Minneapolis for a lot of people. For this and Legacy to be the first things they see is dismaying.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 22nd, 2018, 2:15 pm

I think the worst part about this is the site plan (although the design of the exterior isn't particularly inspiring either). Minneapolis really needs to clarify what it expects to see in these quasi-zero lot line conditions. It's one thing to build to the lot line when you're fine with a blank, windowless party wall condition. But this development is sticking balconies right up to the property line. Not good.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 22nd, 2018, 2:43 pm

Didn't the Handicraft Building Apartments get shot down when they tried putting balconies right up to their property line?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 22nd, 2018, 3:30 pm

I think that's true, but it was only after the neighboring properties lawyered up and appealed an initial approval. This shouldn't be necessary. I believe that there was some proposed updates to the zoning code regarding setbacks along common property lines, but they really didn't seem to get to the heart of a condition like this.

If you're building an office building, or a residential building, or really anything that benefits from access to light and views, you need to accommodate that on your own property, or buy the air rights from the neighboring property. Full stop.

Lisa I. RoadBot
City Center

Postby Lisa I. RoadBot » June 23rd, 2018, 8:57 am

My thought is Minneapolis should have some sort of "expectational zoning" where a building proposal would have to be of a certain height, and specify a certain quality of materials, and also pay attention to the economy of space so close to the downtown core- I'm assuming that in a generation, this area of Washington Ave. could be considered part of the downtown core-
I still feel burned by the proximity of fairly recently built industrial/manufacturing/warehouse one stories that are so close to the North Loop on Washington Ave. north of Plymouth Ave.- even in the 1980's and 1990's when those will built, they apparently didn't foresee the coming rebirth of the warehouse district- they should be more careful about zoning around "downtown" in deference to the future....