Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby seanrichardryan » June 15th, 2018, 10:11 am

I wish it was dropping even lower and 24th would become a legit vehicular connection.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » June 15th, 2018, 10:30 am

For cars going north on 35W heading to west 94, are they going to be able to weave all the way over to the Lyndale/Hennepin exit? If so, that seems like it'll be a mess. But maybe that is a smaller percentage of traffic than I think.

I also didn't realize there would be an offramp from 35W North to 28th Street.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 15th, 2018, 10:41 am

For cars going north on 35W heading to west 94, are they going to be able to weave all the way over to the Lyndale/Hennepin exit? If so, that seems like it'll be a mess. But maybe that is a smaller percentage of traffic than I think.

I also didn't realize there would be an offramp from 35W North to 28th Street.
MNDOT has said that the vast majority of traffic from 35W north to 94 west is through-routing, so the move to the inside merge should help make the whole cluster of on/off traffic between there and the Hennepin/Lyndale/tunnel a lot better. I would think not allowing people to exit to Hennepin/Lyndale from that merge would be smart as well, but I haven't read anything that says they'll do that. The new 28th Street exit should help with allowing more ways to get to the Wedge neighborhood, instead of needing to go 35W to Hennepin/Lyndale.

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » June 15th, 2018, 10:56 am

Plus the exit from 35W south to Lake St could help siphon off some people that may go from westbound 94 to Hennepin/Lyndale. Some would go westbound 94 to southbound 35W to Lake. I don't know if it would be that many people, but I could be one of them on some days.

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » June 19th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Saw a geotechnical company drilling in Churchhill's parking lot this morning. Might not mean anything, but would be cool to have something built on a surface lot I thought would never be developed. Fingers crossed.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » June 22nd, 2018, 6:54 am

I feel like Finnegans has done alot to make this area more of a neighborhood. It might just be me but a local watering hole is a nice amenity haha.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » June 22nd, 2018, 7:41 am

I feel like Finnegans has done alot to make this area more of a neighborhood. It might just be me but a local watering hole is a nice amenity haha.
So true. I probably would have stayed at Grant Park if I knew Finnegans was going to happen.

GILBball
Metrodome

Postby GILBball » June 30th, 2018, 3:48 pm

Heard that the National MS Society is moving out of their building soon over by Gold Medal Park because "it's going to be torn down and turned into more apartments." That's really all I know, but it's a nice location, so hopefully something cool goes in.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 1st, 2018, 12:01 am

That entire block is my white whale for Minneapolis development. GMP needs full enclosure!

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: RE: Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby David Greene » July 1st, 2018, 4:40 pm

I would think not allowing people to exit to Hennepin/Lyndale from that merge would be smart as well, but I haven't read anything that says they'll do that. The new 28th Street exit should help with allowing more ways to get to the Wedge neighborhood, instead of needing to go 35W to Hennepin/Lyndale.
28th goes the wrong way to get to the Wedge and it's not easy to get over to 26th from there. It's 31st or Hennepin/Lyndale. 31st is usually fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » July 1st, 2018, 8:26 pm

Does anyone know if the U of M owns that parking lot next to this? (C97) The only reason I ask, is the U tends to name their parking lots in this type of manner.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 1st, 2018, 8:57 pm

Is that the lot at the corner of 11th Ave and S 2nd St? I think Hennepin property records shows that as owned by the city of Minneapolis...

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 1st, 2018, 9:01 pm

Yeah, looks like the city owns the lot and the office building facing Washington, but both are apparently rented by the U. There's a University sign out front.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 2nd, 2018, 9:27 am

I suspect that what the City owns there is the potential future underground mined space rights, which of course they'll never use:
That Part Of The Fol Desc Tract Of Land Which Lies Below A Horizontal Plane At Elevation 790 Ft (Ngvd-1929) Lots 1 Thru 7 Incl Bakers Rgt Of Lots
The actual property appears to be owned by "Physicians/Surgeons Cap Corp".

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » July 11th, 2018, 11:42 am

With most of the properties along Washington being gobbled up for development, how soon do we start the countdown for the lot next to Sawatdee?
What size development would you like to see on that plot? Personally, I'd like to see something in the 30-35 story range. You'd have some pretty nice views of both downtown and the river at that level.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 11th, 2018, 11:47 am

With most of the properties along Washington being gobbled up for development, how soon do we start the countdown for the lot next to Sawatdee?
I know the murmurs about Omni Resorts assume they'd develop the block sized lot near the Convention Center, but with how hot Downtown East has been, maybe that's another potential landing spot?

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » July 12th, 2018, 9:18 am

Which block sized lot? The meter farm?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 12th, 2018, 9:24 am

Benson Parking, next to the Leamington ramp.

Though I'd like to see that meter farm on the chopping block too.

gman
Block E

Postby gman » August 13th, 2018, 8:35 am

I know the murmurs about Omni Resorts assume they'd develop the block sized lot near the Convention Center, but with how hot Downtown East has been, maybe that's another potential landing spot?
Can you elaborate on the talk of Omni Resorts coming to Minneapolis?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » August 13th, 2018, 8:39 am

It was rumored they might take up the block-sized lot near the Convention Center since a new hotel had been talked about there forever, and their hotels in some other cities were downtown properties.

They ultimately are developing looking to property near the new Vikings training center in Eagan, to much chagrin.