Street, Road and Highway Projects

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: Street, Road and Highway Projects

Postby Qhaberl » June 27th, 2018, 6:04 am

I agree. Leave it the way the picture has it. But all the freeways and stuff underground. Preaching to the choir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » June 27th, 2018, 6:31 am

The funny thing about construction is that it actually proves we don't need it. The world hasn't ended.

At least bury the damn thing. ugh.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 27th, 2018, 8:27 am

You're right! The world also didn't end before we had bike lanes, so clearly we don't need those either.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » June 27th, 2018, 10:01 am

We should bury *transit* in urban nodes, and leave the streets for bikes, pedestrians, and commerce (trucks, vans).

Highways should ring cities, not penetrate them. Or just replace highways with inter-city trains.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 27th, 2018, 10:05 am

You're right! The world also didn't end before we had bike lanes, so clearly we don't need those either.
... A lot more people died, we're injured, didn't bike, and contributed to pollution.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » June 27th, 2018, 11:23 am

Then we (the bikers) will bike on the road, which is legal, and if motorists don't like it then support bike lanes.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 27th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Wait for it.

I'm actually suggesting that both bike lanes and freeways are worthwhile and important parts of our transportation system.

Mind blowing.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 27th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Would people here really prefer having this level of daily traffic on Park/Portland/Nicollet/etc? There's a lot of space between "the world is ending" and "everything's fine."

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » June 27th, 2018, 3:36 pm

If there was better public transit (more than just ABRT) I wouldn't mind.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 27th, 2018, 3:42 pm

With all the giant earthwork happening in that photo, it sure is a shame we're not getting a rail transit right-of-way in that corridor between the south end of downtown and the Greenway or even further south.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » June 28th, 2018, 4:57 am

With all the giant earthwork happening in that photo, it sure is a shame we're not getting a rail transit right-of-way in that corridor between the south end of downtown and the Greenway or even further south.
Yeah, talk about a once in a lifetime opportunity.

But I’m guessing this was designed years ago.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 26th, 2018, 2:15 pm

It appears from project documents that the 35th, 36th, and 42nd Street bridges across 35W aren't going to be reconstructed as part of the current massive project. Does anybody have any sense as to why? Sure seems like you'd take care of these while everything else is messed up.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 26th, 2018, 2:33 pm

38th wasn't even reconstructed... simply redecked.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 26th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Well, 38th is essentially a new bridge on existing foundations. The piers were extensively reinforced, and the beams are all new. So more than a redecking.

niaxilin
City Center

Postby niaxilin » July 26th, 2018, 3:05 pm

It's odd how every bridge in the Hwy 62 to 46th St redo was replaced, and the look of those bridges ties in well with the new retaining walls. Is everything north of 46th St going to look disjointed and haphazard in comparison? To be fair, there are a lot more bridges in the northern section.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 31st, 2018, 11:27 am

It appears from project documents that the 35th, 36th, and 42nd Street bridges across 35W aren't going to be reconstructed as part of the current massive project. Does anybody have any sense as to why? Sure seems like you'd take care of these while everything else is messed up.
Those bridges weren't on the original scope of the project, were structurally ok but incredibly poor in terms of accessibility for pedestrians, bikes and ada compliance. Multiple neighborhood organizations mobilized probably at least 5 years ago when the project had it's first meetings and were able to get more accessible decks on these overpasses added to the project. A community organizing success for sure. Some of these bridges had like 18" sidewalks.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 31st, 2018, 12:47 pm

So, this work is happening, but is technically part of a separate project? Because, as I noted, the project documents don't show any work happening to these bridges.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 17th, 2018, 3:14 pm

It's not going to change anybody's opinion, but there's only $70m going towards the interchange, for Phase 1. The other $134m adds MNpass lanes to 494.
MnDOT looks to add MnPass lanes to alleviate congestion on I-494 in Bloomington
There's a survey too.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » September 23rd, 2018, 9:22 pm

The project is still weirdly framed, as if the scope of the project is to add 12' of asphalt to each side. In presentations, it essentially sounds like a full reconstruction (at least from France to Cedar), with the exception of the sub-20-year-old bridges (Xerxes, Penn, Lyndale). And I imagine they hope to leave some retaining walls alone as they can. Other than that, it certainly sounds like a full replacement of the highway.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » September 23rd, 2018, 9:23 pm

I am really curious what they will do around France Ave. I assume they can't go wild there, and that bridge isn't super old (late 80s I believe). But it's awful for congesting the mainline on EB 494. It would be nice if they could at least combine both directions of France into a single longer on-ramp, rather than two busy, short-merge ramps right next to each other.