Hiawatha-Minnehaha Development & RR Corridor/MinHi Line

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1574
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Avenue Development & Grain Elevators/Freight Corridor

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 8th, 2018, 10:29 am

What a great use of this property! I really think this works well on this corner and think they've done an awesome job of incorporating a Starbucks without it being gross. I hope this moves forward - that car wash is really a sad, sad eyesore.

bubzki2
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 736
Joined: September 19th, 2012, 5:38 pm
Location: Snelling-Hamline

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Avenue Development & Grain Elevators/Freight Corridor

Postby bubzki2 » June 8th, 2018, 10:40 am

Good design and fit for the neighborhood and surroundings.

martykoessel
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 198
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 9:12 am

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Avenue Development & Grain Elevators/Freight Corridor

Postby martykoessel » June 8th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Silophant wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 7:26 pm
Here's the packet. 43 units, 20 surface parking spaces - all listed as short-term for the Starbucks/Dominos, not for the apartments.

Also, maybe I just don't get it because I'm not a coffee drinker, but holy crap are they putting a lot of effort into getting a drive-through to work.
If zoning allows a drive-thru at a coffee shop, that'll be about 50% of total business, and most of it incremental, not just a shift from walk-in. We still live in a car-oriented society. Sad but true.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 160
Joined: October 28th, 2015, 6:05 pm

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Ave Development & RR Corridor/Grain Elevators

Postby minneboom » July 3rd, 2018, 7:51 pm

The General Mills grain elevator at 3716 Dight Ave was bought by Hayes Harlow Development. It was formerly known as the Checkerboard grain elevator and it is right across the street from the 38th Street Station. This site is a great opportunity for a fantastic development similar to the area around the Mill City Museum!

User avatar
VacantLuxuries
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 724
Joined: February 20th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Ave Development & RR Corridor/Grain Elevators

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 5th, 2018, 8:16 am

Maybe this will put some pressure on ADM to move operations

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7941
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Ave Development & RR Corridor/Grain Elevators

Postby mattaudio » July 5th, 2018, 8:54 am

How many rail customers are left on that rail spur south of Lake? And are there any customers between Lake and the Mississioppi River bridge? This seems to move the Hi-Line concept slightly closer to reality.

User avatar
VacantLuxuries
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 724
Joined: February 20th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Ave Development & RR Corridor/Grain Elevators

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 5th, 2018, 9:31 am

Satellite imagery might be deceiving, but it looks like everything on the tracks is a grain hopper, so it might just be ADM at this point. Maybe Leder Bros Metal uses it.

squrtis
City Center
Posts: 26
Joined: June 6th, 2017, 2:23 pm

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Ave Development & RR Corridor/Grain Elevators

Postby squrtis » July 6th, 2018, 7:06 am

ADM isn't moving anytime soon.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1762
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 12:50 pm

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Ave Development & RR Corridor/Grain Elevators

Postby amiller92 » July 7th, 2018, 9:34 am

mattaudio wrote:How many rail customers are left on that rail spur south of Lake? And are there any customers between Lake and the Mississioppi River bridge? This seems to move the Hi-Line concept slightly closer to reality.
Per the last round of "connect the greenway" reporting by MinnPost I think it's just ADM and Leder Bros.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Silophant
Moderator
Posts: 3835
Joined: June 20th, 2012, 4:33 pm
Location: The Gateway

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Ave Development & RR Corridor/Grain Elevators

Postby Silophant » July 7th, 2018, 3:12 pm

The Met Council is also an extremely intermittent customer for LRV deliveries, until SWLRT actually gets built. Though I suppose they can coordinate some sort of heavy haul setup from somewhere else when they need to.

John21
Union Depot
Posts: 330
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 8:23 am
Location: 38th Street Station

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby John21 » August 28th, 2018, 5:16 pm

‘Extremely affordable’ housing project planned at 45th and Hiawatha
The five-story, 53,950 square-foot building will sit on one acre. It will include 80 efficiency units that range from 418 to 518 square feet. A parking lot will have 40 spaces, or about a half space per unit, and there will be inside storage for bicycles. One-third of the property will be green space along what planners hope will soon be the Min Hi Line linear park.

twincitizen
Moderator
Posts: 6208
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 7:27 pm
Location: Standish-Ericsson

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby twincitizen » August 28th, 2018, 10:04 pm

There are two additional developments in this same general area that will be presented at the September 4 LCC meeting:

Image

The one that makes me nervous is the Reuter Walton project on the restaurant site (most recently 'SomTaste'). I don't love the idea of that site being redeveloped independently of the long-ass strip mall to the north. My concern is that developing this site now may limit future roadway changes (i.e. re-configuring the nameless frontage road along Hiawatha). Check out the property lines in the area: https://gis.hennepin.us/property/map/de ... 2823120082 The strip mall owns a narrow strip behind the SomTaste building...what's gonna happen with that?

If I owned the strip mall and all of the houses along Minnehaha Ave, and had the power to totally remake this area, I would:
-Build mixed-use buildings along Minnehaha Ave with lots of ground floor retail space
-Build additional apartment buildings where the strip mall sits (without retail)
-further extend Snelling Ave through the site down to Nawadaha (somehow), as well as the MiHi Line linear park
-convert the frontage road along Hiawatha to private surface parking and/or access lane behind said apartments replacing strip mall
(frontage road appears to be MNDOT ROW)

User avatar
jtoemke
Landmark Center
Posts: 237
Joined: March 5th, 2015, 8:04 am
Location: Columbus OH

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby jtoemke » August 29th, 2018, 6:46 am

John21 wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 5:16 pm
‘Extremely affordable’ housing project planned at 45th and Hiawatha
The five-story, 53,950 square-foot building will sit on one acre. It will include 80 efficiency units that range from 418 to 518 square feet. A parking lot will have 40 spaces, or about a half space per unit, and there will be inside storage for bicycles. One-third of the property will be green space along what planners hope will soon be the Min Hi Line linear park.
First, I'm not knocking this project - $600 for a new build project would be crazy low. Yes they need to secure grants. Still - low.

-The sad part-

For someone making minimum wage, the rent would have to be closer to $400 a month to meet the 30% of paycheck affordability level.

Here's hoping that it all works out though!

BoredAgain
Landmark Center
Posts: 253
Joined: July 3rd, 2014, 1:38 pm
Location: Lyndale Neighborhood

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby BoredAgain » August 29th, 2018, 8:28 am

jtoemke wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 6:46 am
John21 wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 5:16 pm
‘Extremely affordable’ housing project planned at 45th and Hiawatha
The five-story, 53,950 square-foot building will sit on one acre. It will include 80 efficiency units that range from 418 to 518 square feet. A parking lot will have 40 spaces, or about a half space per unit, and there will be inside storage for bicycles. One-third of the property will be green space along what planners hope will soon be the Min Hi Line linear park.
First, I'm not knocking this project - $600 for a new build project would be crazy low. Yes they need to secure grants. Still - low.

-The sad part-

For someone making minimum wage, the rent would have to be closer to $400 a month to meet the 30% of paycheck affordability level.

Here's hoping that it all works out though!
By the time this finishes, the Minneapolis minimum will likely be $15/hr. At that wage, assuming 40 hours a week for 4 weeks a month, 30% of that persons income is $720. Were you assuming state minimum wage?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1574
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 29th, 2018, 10:06 am

twincitizen wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 10:04 pm
There are two additional developments in this same general area that will be presented at the September 4 LCC meeting:

Image

The one that makes me nervous is the Reuter Walton project on the restaurant site (most recently 'SomTaste'). I don't love the idea of that site being redeveloped independently of the long-ass strip mall to the north. My concern is that developing this site now may limit future roadway changes (i.e. re-configuring the nameless frontage road along Hiawatha). Check out the property lines in the area: https://gis.hennepin.us/property/map/de ... 2823120082 The strip mall owns a narrow strip behind the SomTaste building...what's gonna happen with that?

If I owned the strip mall and all of the houses along Minnehaha Ave, and had the power to totally remake this area, I would:
-Build mixed-use buildings along Minnehaha Ave with lots of ground floor retail space
-Build additional apartment buildings where the strip mall sits (without retail)
-further extend Snelling Ave through the site down to Nawadaha (somehow), as well as the MiHi Line linear park
-convert the frontage road along Hiawatha to private surface parking and/or access lane behind said apartments replacing strip mall
(frontage road appears to be MNDOT ROW)

While I agree that it's not ideal to develop one without the other - you really can't force one property to do something when they don't own the adjacent property. I hate this dead zone and look forward to this whole area continuing to evolve over the coming decade. I'm hopeful that a phase 2 of the south portion of the lot behind the strip mall (south of the new Cub & apartment complex) pushes the imagination for everything here.

User avatar
jtoemke
Landmark Center
Posts: 237
Joined: March 5th, 2015, 8:04 am
Location: Columbus OH

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby jtoemke » August 29th, 2018, 10:43 am

[/quote]

By the time this finishes, the Minneapolis minimum will likely be $15/hr. At that wage, assuming 40 hours a week for 4 weeks a month, 30% of that persons income is $720. Were you assuming state minimum wage?
[/quote]

Ahh good point. Yeah, I was thinking state $7.87.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1362
Joined: January 30th, 2013, 11:14 am

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby xandrex » August 29th, 2018, 2:17 pm

BoredAgain wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 8:28 am
By the time this finishes, the Minneapolis minimum will likely be $15/hr. At that wage, assuming 40 hours a week for 4 weeks a month, 30% of that persons income is $720. Were you assuming state minimum wage?
The article says funding by the end of 2019 with a 10-11 month build period. Assuming it opens sometime in late 2020, Minneapolis minimum wage won't be $15 an hour — it'll be $11.75 for small businesses ($13.25 for large).

That puts a full-time, minimum-wage worker at a small business making just a little bit more than required for $600 to be affordable at 30 percent.

Not a huge deal, just wanted to point that out. It's pretty great they can get this to pencil out with rents that low.

twincitizen
Moderator
Posts: 6208
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 7:27 pm
Location: Standish-Ericsson

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Ave Development & RR Corridor/Grain Elevators

Postby twincitizen » August 30th, 2018, 1:57 pm

A peek at the site plan for 4757 Hiawatha (Bridgeman's/SomTaste replacement): https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqo3jd24enmp1 ... n.pdf?dl=0

6 stories baby! I'm still a bit disappointed that there isn't a more comprehensive vision for reworking/rethinking how the frontage road, two alleys, linear park/trail and Nawahada all come together, but it will probably be fine.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 160
Joined: October 28th, 2015, 6:05 pm

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Ave Development & RR Corridor/Grain Elevators

Postby minneboom » August 31st, 2018, 7:09 pm

More details on the proposed development at 46th St and Minnehaha Ave!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uml6m88olugkl ... e.pdf?dl=0

twincitizen
Moderator
Posts: 6208
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 7:27 pm
Location: Standish-Ericsson

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Ave Development & RR Corridor/Grain Elevators

Postby twincitizen » September 1st, 2018, 8:59 am

Reminder: LCC n’hood meeting this Tuesday at 7:30 to discuss both of the above projects. Longfellow Park - 36th Ave & 35th St.

A bunch of people are going to show up and talk about the traffic and parking issues caused by the popularity of Minnehaha Falls park, and try to use that as excuses why these projects should be stopped. Don’t let them be the only voices in the room


Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests