Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby FISHMANPET » September 6th, 2018, 1:47 pm

I don't remember whose policy it is (maybe the city) but because those promenades are not publicly owned, they don't want curb cuts because it might give people the impression that they can use them? Like it's wild and incredibly dumb but I've been told that's what the city wants.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 10th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Probably Public Works not wanting them to become "intersections", because then they'd have to install crosswalk ramps, move the "no parking" signs further north in many cases to accommodate the new curb cuts/ramps, etc. I fully agree that this is a dumb policy. Clearly the promenade enjoys strong foot traffic (probably more than a majority of city sidewalks) and we should absolutely accommodate that. I'd have to imagine Lisa Bender would be amenable to looking into changing this policy.

The good: even though the promenade walks themselves are on private property, at the point where they meet the north-south sidewalks they become public, which means we own the ROW needed.

The bad: there could be ADA issues with some of these. I'm not sure ADA-compliant ramps to street level could be accommodated in the limited boulevard distance between the N-S sidewalk and the street...the "ramps" might have to become bumpouts (or the crosswalks tabled up) to make the grades work. Now you've got a very expensive project.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 10th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Which is why tackling it as part of a bridge rebuild is probably the only chance of getting it done...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 11th, 2018, 7:35 am

I'm not sure it's the case at this intersection but there are some great trees that are also right in the way...

Could there ever be a mid block crossing or something, though not half way.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » September 11th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Ackerberg updating the Williams Pub building.

http://www.startribune.com/ackerberg-to ... 492966691/

Seems to be mostly interior work. Williams is staying.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 11th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Maybe it's just me, but that will always look like an ad for Carling: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carling_brewery

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » September 15th, 2018, 9:34 am

The north side promenade running along the Midtown Greenway in this area was a huge missed opportunity for the community. So much of the conversation about the development projects was on the scale, unit count, and parking of those buildings and much less on the promenade. The City of Minneapolis really ought to make a serious effort to make the promenade more ADA friendly by adding curb ramps as a part of the Fremont bridge replacement. Considering that the promenade was an idea that the City and County created through the Midtown Community Works project, they should be more committed to realizing the vision.

scottiem
City Center

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby scottiem » September 19th, 2018, 8:56 am

The results of a vote at the Annual CARAG Neighborhood meeting were to officially change its name to "Uptown South." As I understand it, the City still needs to approve the change, but since Bender and Frey both spoke at the meeting, it should be a go.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 19th, 2018, 9:22 am

Oof. Should have gone with Bryant Square.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » September 19th, 2018, 10:51 am

The results of a vote at the Annual CARAG Neighborhood meeting were to officially change its name to "Uptown South." As I understand it, the City still needs to approve the change, but since Bender and Frey both spoke at the meeting, it should be a go.
I though it was South Uptown, not Uptown South.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » September 19th, 2018, 11:02 am

They prefer US to SU.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » September 19th, 2018, 1:21 pm

What about Franklin South!! (FU) lol 😜

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 19th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Someone needs to open a soup restaurant in South Uptown and call it Souptown thank you for coming to my TED talk.

scottiem
City Center

Postby scottiem » September 19th, 2018, 4:17 pm

The ballots read Uptown South, but I'm not sure if that really makes a difference for me. I was pulling for Lakewood or Bryant Square, but a-well! I mean CARAG was as least distinctive if not odd. That said, I'm down for this new soup restaurant--right in season too!

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » September 19th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Why not South Of UPtown, or SOUP? ;)

I made this a long time ago, not necessarily to be taken seriously
ImageUptown Map by Andy Tucker, on Flickr
My flickr photos.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 19th, 2018, 7:46 pm

I had fully convinced myself that I was the first person to propose "SOUP", until I searched the forum and saw you posted this same map back in 2013. Your map definitely planted the seed, because I was suggesting SOUP as far back as 2015. Earlier this year, I did suggest it directly to the CARAG board/staff via Twitter, so maybe that played a role (they liked my tweet, FWIW)

Can we get some clarity on the new name? Scottiem here is saying it read "Uptown South" on the ballot, but everyone on Twitter yesterday said "South Uptown" (some even suggesting that the "SOUP" gimmick was maybe part of what led it to victory over Bryant Square). Knowing those were the two choices, I am surprised at the results, but I think they made the right choice (even if they didn't merge with ECCO to align with your map). Was "Lakewood" rejected in an earlier round of balloting or something? I know they did an online poll several months ago and that was another one of the options from the poll.

Bryant Square would have been a fine choice over CARAG, but (annoyingly) there's already another neighborhood east of 35W squatting on "Bryant". That neighborhood's use of Bryant isn't even justified, as unlike most of Mpls official neighborhood names, it doesn't appear to be based on a neighborhood park or school, and is likely named after the same Bryant as the Avenue.

South Uptown (or Uptown South) was the correct choice IMO. It is exactly how I described where I lived, when I lived in CARAG. People in CARAG don't even know they live in CARAG, outside of planning/politics/neighborhood org nerds. South Uptown may not have a nice, pretentious ring to it as Lakewood or Bryant Square, but goddamnit people will know exactly what you're talking about when you say it.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » September 20th, 2018, 8:53 am

What? The Great Purple One himself attended Bryant Junior High, the building now called the "Sabathani Community Center".

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » September 20th, 2018, 10:09 am

I think I'd have less of an issue with South Uptown if CARAG wasn't a neighborhood that is also part of LynLake.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 20th, 2018, 10:19 am

What? The Great Purple One himself attended Bryant Junior High, the building now called the "Sabathani Community Center".
Aw poop, I figured someone would school me in history. Of course Bryant neighborhood was named after a former school.

scottiem
City Center

Postby scottiem » September 20th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Turns out the ballots were misprinted, but that makes little difference I suppose. I received the name change report from the neighborhood board coordinator and South Uptown is it. There are some interesting results from the couple surveys that were taken, and yes, only South Uptown and Bryant Square were near the top after the last survey. Other names were further down the list and dropped. CARAG was clunky but not without personality--I will (kinda) miss it.