Richfield - 66th Street - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
squrtis
City Center

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby squrtis » May 7th, 2018, 3:26 pm

The medians between 35 and Penn have been landscaped and they look good. I was terrified they were going to remain covered in crab grass.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » May 7th, 2018, 4:11 pm

The medians between 35 and Penn have been landscaped and they look good. I was terrified they were going to remain covered in crab grass.
I think they just hydroseeded quick last fall to make sure it didn't become a muddy mess. I agree, they look great. I really like how they kept the left turn lanes fairly short to make more of that center area plantable. It really emphasizes the aesthetic difference west of Penn (where it's just a wide open center turn lane) versus east of Penn (where it's mostly planted).

There are also trees planned between curb and cycletrack, but I'm wondering if they'll wait until both sidewalks are done before they do those. I think the plan is to have those be planted with grass. (Although I assume like any other boulevard an adjacent property owner could change that if they like.)

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » May 7th, 2018, 7:44 pm

I’m excited for the 66th St. changes; this is a big upgrade in usability & comfort.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » August 22nd, 2018, 12:25 pm

Two possible developments presented at Planning Commission-Council-HRA work session:

The first was at 66th & Queen. Developer owns a large (0.5 acre) single family home parcel, and is considering an apartment project as small as just that parcel, or as large as 6 additional parcels + vacation of part of Queen Ave. The site is between the Fraser apartments and CVS.

Farther east, an HRA-owned lot adjacent to the Portland-66th roundabout was discussed as four fourplexes. The developers claim that they will be able to get the 1 br units for rent for under $800/mo, and 3 br units for under $1300 a month. They claim they can do this, without local subsidy, by lowering construction costs and using an on-site caretaker rather than professional management. The buildings are very simple, with no elevator, single stairwell, etc. Unlike almost every other apartment project in Richfield since the 90s, it would be surface parking only. People seemed very interested in the idea of market rents that cheap.

This east site is adjacent (directly in front of) the future 66th Street D Line Station.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 22nd, 2018, 3:19 pm

The fourplex idea could work, even though it seems like 66th and Portland should be able to stand as a node much denser and more amenity rich than this. Add a fifth fourplex, since it's already overparked.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » August 22nd, 2018, 5:32 pm

Yeah, way too much parking. I wouldn’t call those fourplexes “transit oriented development”.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » August 22nd, 2018, 8:18 pm

The fourplex idea could work, even though it seems like 66th and Portland should be able to stand as a node much denser and more amenity rich than this. Add a fifth fourplex, since it's already overparked.
Probably, yeah. Although a few points for this density:

1. Could work well with a "book-end" apartment building on the gas station site someday (notwithstanding environmental issues of redeveloping gas stations, etc).

2. Could be extended down block to 67th easily, where existing comp plan designation already calls for medium-density. (If those owners ever wanted to sell... the site in question is publicly owned and vacant.)

You will hear no argument from me that this is a lot of parking. Other recent apartment projects have been more like 1.25 - 1.6 range. Staff and the developer favored more parking here because of the 3 br units, and because of no on-street opportunities for guest parking. (Nearest on-street parking is 200 feet away, down a wide, well-lit sidewalk.)

A fifth fourplex would bring that down to 1.6 per unit if that exact same lot were kept.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 22nd, 2018, 9:17 pm

Kinda ridiculous how these neighborhood corridors in Richfield lack on-street parking, unlike most comparable streets in Minneapolis or St. Paul.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Richfield - General Topics

Postby sdho » September 6th, 2018, 7:49 am

Adding a general topics thread for Richfield, I think I post enough stuff to warrant it ;)

New Strib story today
'Explosion of interest' leads to $200M redevelopment boom in Richfield
A preschool, a luxury car dealership and a Dunkin’ Donuts are just a few of the projects underway in Richfield, an inner-ring suburb that’s suddenly in the midst of a makeover.

More than $200 million worth of redevelopment is happening within the city’s seven square miles, officials announced last week.

“I liken it to an explosion of interest in Richfield,” said City Manager Steve Devich, who has worked for the city for almost four decades. “I’ve never seen anything like that before, ever.”
https://www.startribune.com/explosion-o ... 492556891/

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Richfield - General Topics

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 6th, 2018, 9:17 am

It's great to see this renaissance happening! Hopefully Cedar Point Phase 2 will get underway shortly too!

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Re: Richfield - General Topics

Postby Multimodal » September 6th, 2018, 9:56 am

Great work, sdho.

Your city is undergoing a once-in-a-lifetime re-do.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Re: Richfield - General Topics - 66th Street

Postby sdho » September 12th, 2018, 10:35 am

^Thanks for the kind words, Multimodal and HiawathaGuy

New stuff: Related to Bloomington as well as Richfield -- Richfield City Council and Planning Commission heard a presentation from MnDOT about the start of the 494 expansion project through Richfield and Bloomington.

Some key things that came up from a land use / development perspective:

1. Although not finally determined, it was indicated to be highly likely that removal of the 12th and Nicollet interchanges and a new interchange at Portland Ave will be parts of this project. If this interchange were similar at all to Lyndale or Penn, it would have major right-of-way impacts to businesses on the 7700 block of Portland.

2. MnDOT is looking to put a lot of stormwater... somewhere. There was talk of acquisitions for ponding. Since a stormwater pond will never pay taxes, provide a job, or provide somewhere for someone to live, eating up highly developable land along 494 is a big concern.

3. Concerns were raised that the area east of Portland would be a "dead-end" if 12th interchange closes before 77th St/Cedar Ave underpass is done. The idea being that if that underpass were complete, people would use 24th.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 12th, 2018, 11:17 am

New stuff: Related to Bloomington as well as Richfield -- Richfield City Council and Planning Commission heard a presentation from MnDOT about the start of the 494 expansion project through Richfield and Bloomington.

1. Although not finally determined, it was indicated to be highly likely that removal of the 12th and Nicollet interchanges and a new interchange at Portland Ave will be parts of this project. If this interchange were similar at all to Lyndale or Penn, it would have major right-of-way impacts to businesses on the 7700 block of Portland.

2. MnDOT is looking to put a lot of stormwater... somewhere. There was talk of acquisitions for ponding. Since a stormwater pond will never pay taxes, provide a job, or provide somewhere for someone to live, eating up highly developable land along 494 is a big concern.

3. Concerns were raised that the area east of Portland would be a "dead-end" if 12th interchange closes before 77th St/Cedar Ave underpass is done. The idea being that if that underpass were complete, people would use 24th.
Thanks for this update! It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. It's been a very long time coming, and one that won't be without pain. 494 from Hwy 77 to Hwy 100 has needed updates for a long, long time!

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » September 12th, 2018, 12:43 pm

I'm glad that Richfield completed the re-build of Portland before this planned move of the interchange. I doubt the city would have gone through with the lane reduction if they had known about a possible increase due to the move. I grew up in Richfield just off Portland and my parents still live there. In my opinion, the reduced size is a major improvement and current traffic still moves with no problems.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » September 12th, 2018, 5:20 pm

I'm glad that Richfield completed the re-build of Portland before this planned move of the interchange. I doubt the city would have gone through with the lane reduction if they had known about a possible increase due to the move. I grew up in Richfield just off Portland and my parents still live there. In my opinion, the reduced size is a major improvement and current traffic still moves with no problems.
It was a consideration (since the long-term plan for decades has been to consolidate to Portland) -- but yeah, theoretical ramp changes are less of an impact than real ramp changes. That has also been a question for Lyndale Ave (currently in final design for a layout similar to Portland); in that case, the lane drop happens at 76th rather than 77th. Still, I doubt it would have affected the Portland design that much. I expect that between 77th and American, the future roadway will be wider than the current one.

And yeah it really is great. I have to turn out of 73rd and Portland every day, and the reduced speeds of cars passing through intersections has made that much easier. Bicycling, walking, and driving are all better on the new street.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 4th, 2018, 8:47 am

Did we know the Bremer bank at 65th and Nicollet was going away? I drove past this morning and the lot was nearly completely cleared of rubble.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 4th, 2018, 9:24 am

Did we know the Bremer bank at 65th and Nicollet was going away? I drove past this morning and the lot was nearly completely cleared of rubble.
https://www.paschool.org/apps/news/article/903484

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 4th, 2018, 9:55 am

Oh, interesting. I was hoping for (though not even remotely expecting) a street re-route. #reconnect65th
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » October 4th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Reconnecting 65th was explored (very lightly) in the comp plan process, but was mostly eliminated. According to planning staff, neighbors to the north who were involved in the process preferred having it as a "dividing line" from commercial development. And of course, making that happens means an expensive taking/acquisition that would have to be coordinated with the property owners who sit on the pre-1980s alignment.

The current comp plan draft suggests a public or private Blaisdell Avenue at the north-of-40th alignment (halfway between south-of-40th Blaisdell and Wentworth). IMO, north-south connectivity is more important than getting the 65th plane perfectly lined up. Today, there is a half-mile between Lyndale and Nicollet with no public streets -- on a 1/12 mile grid!

I'd like to see at least a connection at Pillsbury and at Blaisdell if there were major, long-term redevelopment.

In any case, the school building does not obstruct a hypothetical 65th or Blaisdell (at south-of-40th) alignment -- it would just be very tight to them.
Last edited by sdho on October 4th, 2018, 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » October 4th, 2018, 1:58 pm

And although I kind of liked Bremer's portico, I think this new building is a big improvement -- it will also use the lot much more efficiently.