Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Downtown Retail News

Postby Didier » January 1st, 2013, 8:38 pm

If you see this figure walking around downtown, it is Nick.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » January 1st, 2013, 9:30 pm

Nice :)

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » January 2nd, 2013, 7:12 am

The little orphan retail spot by Target now has something in it--an art gallery? There's a lot of that going on downtown lately, there are a couple different art galleries that popped up in Gaviidae over the past year.
I peeked through the windows during my visit back to MN over the holidays. Looks pretty cool. Great addition to the mall. I just hope they publicize/market themselves well. Definitely need better signage so people know it's there.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » January 2nd, 2013, 7:15 am

Oh, the stores in Gaviidae are seasonal, I believe. Something they've been doing the past few years. Love it. Wish they'd open up permanently, but assume rent is pretty high. Cool Gaviidae works with them over the holidays, though. Seems many independent/start ups try to start out there, but unfortunately, they must not get enough people buying.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » January 2nd, 2013, 11:23 am

This year Gaviidae had a store for Midtown Global Market with a mix of handmade and internationally imported goods from various venders at the market. I'd be curious to know how their sales were over the holidays.

Nearby, the organization representing the NE Arts District organization had a retail spot again this year. Which is a very cool idea, but it was poorly curated in my opinion. They seemed mostly to offer ceramics that looked like they were created by grade-school children.

In general, I like the idea of providing a downtown connection to Minneapolis neighborhoods through these pop-up stores. They provide another outlet and increase the visibility of the NE arts scene or the Global Market, and they offer unique products in a retail market dominated by mass-produced sameness. Ideally, these stores would be at street-level and year-round.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 2nd, 2013, 12:29 pm

Are they all just seasonal? I feel like the Northeast one has been open for quite a while, but then again Christmas starts in mid-September lately.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 2nd, 2013, 12:40 pm

Yeah, there were 3 to 4 seasonal stores open in gav II until 12/31. I got some good gifts at the global market one. As for some of the other store fronts, gaviidae stareted displaying art in the vacant ones a few months ago...to make them look less empty i presume. It kinda works. In other gaviidae news...I know we discussed that jewelry store closing. Apparently they are moving to the other wing, nearer to Saks outlet in the spring.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » January 2nd, 2013, 12:58 pm

Are they all just seasonal? I feel like the Northeast one has been open for quite a while, but then again Christmas starts in mid-September lately.
It seemed to me like they've been around for quite awhile too. I was wondering if they were permanent. I suppose I'll walk by there this week and see if they're still open.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 7th, 2013, 5:54 pm

In walking down Nicollet Mall today, I noticed that the retail space in 1200 on the Mall (kitty corner from Peavey Plaza) is all torn up and under construction-looking. Anyone (maybe our user 1200onthemall?) know what's up with that?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 7th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Part of the space is going to be a pharmacy and there are plans for a coffee shop in the remaining space.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 8th, 2013, 2:17 pm

Walked through Neiman Marcus to see the Nic on Fifth site...it is already about 2/3 empty! They kept it fully stocked through Christmas, but now they are really clearing it out...I don't think the sale will last until the end of the month(the scheduled closing date was 1/31, I suspect it will be sooner). They have always kept that store up so nicely...still sad to see it go. Here's hoping something good happens with the building....more practical. I believe the last department store to leave downtown was Mongomery Wards in City Center? Most of that space is still vacant!(well, a good 1/2 or more of it anyway) Really hope some money is put into reformatting this, and it doesn't just sit vacant for years. Even better if a dept store show some interest, but I just don't see that happening. It is a really nice, ready to move into space though, in the unlikely event that should happen. Unlike most other retailers downtown, they have kept the store immaculate.

Also, something is going in next to Radio Shack in Gaviidae I...I assume this is the relocation of the jewelry store from the other part of the mall, but I am not sure.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » January 8th, 2013, 6:37 pm

In walking down Nicollet Mall today, I noticed that the retail space in 1200 on the Mall (kitty corner from Peavey Plaza) is all torn up and under construction-looking. Anyone (maybe our user 1200onthemall?) know what's up with that?
The message from 1200 on the Mall building Managemnt....."a pharmacy called ‘PharmaLife’ and a separate entrance eatery called ‘French Corner Bistro & Bakery’. The eatery will be open into the early evening hours.

Pharmalife has a current location at 9 W 14th Street, Mpls. I would assume that location would close and move to 1200.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 8th, 2013, 7:18 pm

This is random, but did you know people outside of Minnesota say "caddy corner"?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » January 8th, 2013, 8:34 pm

I think caddy corner is just east coast. I grew up in AZ and say kitty corner. I also say soda.
Towns!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 8th, 2013, 8:56 pm

I've also heard cater (cay-ter) corner, I just like cats.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 9th, 2013, 1:26 pm

In Missourah, where I went to school, it was caddy. People in St. Louis also break the mold and use soda, though, so maybe they're an outlier.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 9th, 2013, 1:32 pm

My whole family and I say soda, and I am from St. Louis park...so what does that mean?

Anyway, retail...

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 15th, 2013, 9:55 pm

http://www.startribune.com/business/187056481.html

Neiman's plans earlier exit from downtown Minneapolis
Luxury retailer Neiman Marcus is heaving its last gasp in downtown Minneapolis nearly a week earlier than planned.

The "Good Buy" sale, which Neiman's is calling its final sale, will end Jan. 26. The Texas-based retailer had originally planned to close Jan. 31, but strong sales of its clearance merchandise caused the retailer to move up the closing date, according to Ginger Reeder, vice president of corporate communications.
Their first ever store closing? That's sad. I'll try to walk through tomorrow and take some desolate pictures without being too obvious.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 15th, 2013, 10:07 pm

I think ultimately, the closing of Neiman Marcus will be a very minor setback in the history of retail downtown. The future of our city is bright and our downtown is on the verge of an explosion in growth. Too bad for them. They won't be around to reap the benefits!

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » January 16th, 2013, 3:27 pm

I still think a Von Maur Department Store would be a good fit downtown. I was hoping Nordstrom would build but Von Maur would fill a void.