What will it take to develop DTE?

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: What will it take to develop DTE?

Postby mattaudio » April 15th, 2013, 8:00 am

Bowling alley? Yes. Is there a corner or basement of the Armory that could be carved out for that?
Movie theater? I don't get it. Who goes to movie theaters anymore?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 15th, 2013, 8:13 am

Hey, I LIKE movie theaters! :x

A good downtown should have a movie theater in my opinion, even if they are typically suburban in nature. I'd be okay with a NEW movie theater inside an old (abandoned) theater with those awesome marquee signs! That would be a classic urban downtown theater!!

I'd also like our downtown to have a Planetarium, like it was planned at the library but never yet built. I even pledged to donate $20 to provide funds to get it built, when the Planetarium people had a show inside an ethnic food event at the convention center a few years ago (can't remember the name of that event...it was not called "ethnic food event" though). In general, I think anything that will attract more families downtown is a good thing. Museums, theatres, markets, parks, etc. can almost never be overdone IMO.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 17th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Some thread necromancy.

I was searching back for an entirely different topic and came across this thread. Fascinating how six years changes momentum for a neighborhood.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » November 17th, 2018, 8:18 pm

I have to say that that area has changed so much - every time I take out of town friends through the Washington corridor they are shocked at the complete transformation... the new question is probably what will go into the south side of the park and on the last few lots int eh Elliot Park neighborhood. I think that that side of the block should be a bit taller. That side of the park feel like it is a little closer to the CBD Marquette/Nicollet density.

downtowndweller
City Center

Postby downtowndweller » November 18th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Crazy to see how many of the ideas became reality... redelopment of KA block, bumpouts, Commons Park, HCMC development. Living in the area, I've been happy with much of the new development but even with all of those changes I feel like the area is still lacking an identity. What do people think will help establish an identity OR is it something that will just take time?

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » November 18th, 2018, 8:10 pm

Crazy to see how many of the ideas became reality... redelopment of KA block, bumpouts, Commons Park, HCMC development. Living in the area, I've been happy with much of the new development but even with all of those changes I feel like the area is still lacking an identity. What do people think will help establish an identity OR is it something that will just take time?
The city is trying the square peg, round hole method with the "East Town," marketing campaign. What actually comes about will hopefully be something that happens organically.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 18th, 2018, 8:36 pm

What do people think will help establish an identity OR is it something that will just take time?
I foresee two neighborhood identities eventually. There will be one for north of the stadium (Washington Ave corridor, Gold Medal Park area, Mill area) etc., and another for south of the Stadium and Commons.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 18th, 2018, 9:10 pm

1. Mill District
2. Elliot Park

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » November 30th, 2018, 11:04 am

1. Mill District
2. Elliot Park
Seconded.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 30th, 2018, 12:17 pm

Yep, agreed -- with the caveat that the area immediately surrounding The Commons might actually be a third district which could be called, perhaps, The Commons?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 30th, 2018, 12:21 pm

Is Stadium Village available?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 30th, 2018, 12:30 pm

It will be soon after the University buys up a few more blocks.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » April 13th, 2019, 11:48 pm

Minneapolis is in streetsblog’s Parking Madness again. But this year it is for the most improved parking craters. Unfortunately I doubt Minneapolis will defeat Pittsburgh.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/04/11/ ... nneapolis/