Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Re: Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 13th, 2018, 8:15 am

My favorite part of this is the Strib comment hot takes on "Why did liberal Minneapolis think it was going to get it," all replied with variations of "Austin is one of the most liberal cities in the country."

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » July 13th, 2018, 8:44 am

Good.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 13th, 2018, 10:58 am

Can someone sum up redeye1's take on the issue please?

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » July 17th, 2018, 8:55 am

I watched this last night at 9pm. It was a great episode! See if it is streaming on TPT if you didn't catch it.

http://www.startribune.com/pbs-series-g ... 488134911/

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » July 17th, 2018, 9:18 am

We saw it, too. Great episode. I learned a few things.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 1st, 2018, 6:57 am

Another personal finance website ranks states for happiness. Using their scale Minnesota ranks the happiest state. SD 2nd, CO 3rd...

https://www.studyfinds.org/minnesota-ha ... ast-happy/

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » August 2nd, 2018, 9:38 am

Awesome comments.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 2nd, 2018, 7:25 pm

What a weird cross section of people who decide to go to this random website and be mad at a meaningless study.

In case people are wondering, Minnesota is only happy outside of the two libtard cities, and because we have a small black population, and we also have nothing on New Yorkers in terms of rudeness. Plus this is just a libtard survey that's skewed toward libtard states like Minnesota ... and North Dakota and South Dakota and Utah.

🤷‍♂️

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » August 3rd, 2018, 7:02 am

Last edited by jtoemke on August 3rd, 2018, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 3rd, 2018, 7:15 am

He's paraphrasing the comments on the website, not expressing his own opinion.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » August 3rd, 2018, 7:28 am

Went over my head. Deleted

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 4th, 2018, 9:57 am

The importance of punctuation.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » August 29th, 2018, 12:32 pm

https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laulrgma.htm

Current unemployment rates for large metro areas. We top the list :-)

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » December 5th, 2018, 9:05 am

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... y-not.html

This is a shameless request, but could anyone with a subscription share what they discuss in this article? I’m curious if there is anything of substance. I’ve always thought something like “the northern lights bowl,” or “the bold north bowl,” would be a cool thing for The Twin Cities to do.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » December 6th, 2018, 10:45 am

Maybe once we stop being such a lame winter destination it would work well. Lets figure that out first, then invite the yokels.
Towns!

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » December 6th, 2018, 11:55 am

I'm pretty sure the people at U.S. Bank Stadium would rather have the CFP National Championship game, rather than have a bowl that might not have a B1G team available.
Buildings, what buildings?

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » December 7th, 2018, 4:06 pm

I'm pretty sure the people at U.S. Bank Stadium would rather have the CFP National Championship game, rather than have a bowl that might not have a B1G team available.
Thats understandable. I figure we could do both though. Would having an earlier bowl eliminate the chance to host the CFP national championship game?
Maybe once we stop being such a lame winter destination it would work well. Lets figure that out first, then invite the yokels.
Are you thinking of anything specific when you say this? What do you think we could do better?

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » December 7th, 2018, 6:51 pm

Some coverage of the Minneapolis 2040 vote today from Slate.

I wonder if it'll be significant, in terms of being a national model, that Minneapolis was 'the first' to make this kind of change. Minneapolis is an extraordinarily progressive city, just as much if not more progressive than coastal cities like San Francisco, Seattle, NYC, and DC. But it's definitely less famously so. If San Francisco passed a progressive policy like this, it'd probably be easier for folks in Indianapolis or wherever to write it off as some lefty aberration. But if a city in the Real American Heartland can make this change (I'm certainly assuming that people have some uncomfortable biases here, especially about race, that are inevitably tied up in zoning discussions), will other cities across the country see it as more feasible for themselves? Is it easier for more cities to see themselves in Minneapolis than to see themselves in a coastal place?

On the flip side, because it's Minneapolis and not a major hub of national media, will this move receive less attention and publicity than it might otherwise? That seems almost certainly so at least in terms of mainstream, general audience press. But will that matter, if (perhaps) Minneapolis' example still widely spreads among elected leaders and public policy experts?

sanchopanza
Metrodome

Postby sanchopanza » December 7th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Thats understandable. I figure we could do both though. Would having an earlier bowl eliminate the chance to host the CFP national championship game?
Levi's Stadium is hosting the Redbox bowl on Dec 31st and then the CFP Championship Game on Jan 7th. So yes, it can be done.

Just need a Corporate Sponsor for the Bowl (i.e. US Bank Bowl, Target Bowl, Best Buy Bowl, 3M Bowl).

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » December 7th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Some coverage of the Minneapolis 2040 vote today from Slate.

I wonder if it'll be significant, in terms of being a national model, that Minneapolis was 'the first' to make this kind of change. Minneapolis is an extraordinarily progressive city, just as much if not more progressive than coastal cities like San Francisco, Seattle, NYC, and DC. But it's definitely less famously so. If San Francisco passed a progressive policy like this, it'd probably be easier for folks in Indianapolis or wherever to write it off as some lefty aberration. But if a city in the Real American Heartland can make this change (I'm certainly assuming that people have some uncomfortable biases here, especially about race, that are inevitably tied up in zoning discussions), will other cities across the country see it as more feasible for themselves? Is it easier for more cities to see themselves in Minneapolis than to see themselves in a coastal place?

On the flip side, because it's Minneapolis and not a major hub of national media, will this move receive less attention and publicity than it might otherwise? That seems almost certainly so at least in terms of mainstream, general audience press. But will that matter, if (perhaps) Minneapolis' example still widely spreads among elected leaders and public policy experts?
It's on City Lab too - I think Minneapolis is not understood as progressive by people from outside the area, so yeah - could be easier for the Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Columbus cities of the world to relate.