Shriners Hospital for sale

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Shriners Hospital for sale

Postby exiled_antipodean » February 5th, 2019, 4:59 pm

The Shriners Hospital on East River Road (near the Short Line Bridge) is for sale.

The website says "Shriners Hospital is ideally situated on over 10 acres between downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul one mile away from the University of MN main campus. The private campus feel is perfectly positioned for healthcare repositioning, corporate campus, educational campus and multifamily housing development opportunities. The beautifully-constructed, 103,500-square-foot inpatient occupancy hospital also features a skyway connected, 14,000-square-foot, 10-room hotel, two-story parking deck and outdoor amenity space set against a wooded backyard"

https://www.healthcarecampusforsale.com/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Shriners Hospital for sale

Postby mattaudio » February 5th, 2019, 11:04 pm

This is only 500 feet (less than a block) away from the Weyerhaueser Paper viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4085 redevelopment site, separated by I-94 and a railroad wye (potential greenway wye between Midtown Greenway - Ayd Mill - University).

It would be so cool if there could be some sort of bridge between the two redevelopment sites, depending on what happens here.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 6th, 2019, 9:55 am

While there certainly could be more intense uses on this site, it would sort of be a shame to tear down these relatively new buildings.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 6th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Any chance the U/Fairview would be interested? Or another healthcare-related company looking to establish ties with the U or just to be in close proximity?

I'd guess for the high price this property will go for, it's not going to be some random developer. By necessity I'd guess it will be institutional user that has a worthy reason to pay a premium to be here.

Future (long-term) bicycle connections aside, this is a fairly isolated site with zero public transit service now or probably ever. It's even pretty isolated for car trips, being a mile down to Lake Street, 2/3 mile up to Franklin/27th Av, and over a mile to reach I-94 via Huron or Cretin.

For tax base reasons alone, it would be great to significantly intensify the use of the site, but I'm not holding out hope for a ton of density here. I kinda doubt some company is going to come running to build a new riverfront HQ here either.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 6th, 2019, 3:35 pm

This is only 500 feet (less than a block) away from the Weyerhaueser Paper viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4085 redevelopment site, separated by I-94 and a railroad wye (potential greenway wye between Midtown Greenway - Ayd Mill - University).

It would be so cool if there could be some sort of bridge between the two redevelopment sites, depending on what happens here.
Crossings at Seymour or Cecil might work (both existed at-grade before I94), but getting over the wye to Wabash would probably be a hassle, especially with the grade change.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 6th, 2019, 4:17 pm

There's a crossing already at Seymour. I wouldn't turn one down at Cecil but don't know it'd do much.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 7th, 2019, 8:22 am

If Mayo wanted to expand their presence here it'll be a good purchase for them and put them near the U for collaboration

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 7th, 2019, 9:31 am

It would be nice to see that crossing at Seymour rebuilt some day. Those stairs are a doozy.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 7th, 2019, 9:49 am

Yep, and the bridge itself is vertigo inducing. But kind of fun sometimes. And loud. It would be nice to have a more pleasant connection here, though.

Kilo_SSK
Block E

Postby Kilo_SSK » February 17th, 2019, 4:19 am

Yeah, the hospital's already far from any public transportation line, so there's no use buying it to do something that won't have any relation to the university. Otherwise, it will just be something that's hard to reach, which won't deserve spending the money it'll cost to buy it.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 4th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Looks like the U has a deal for it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... us-on.html

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 10th, 2019, 1:55 pm

To become a child brain research center.

http://www.startribune.com/u-eyes-shrin ... 559858312/