Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
kdo5581
Block E

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site

Postby kdo5581 » March 13th, 2019, 3:46 pm

I thought the point of this ramp was that they would actually build *on top* of the ramp itself, and not just on the skinny lot next to it? Does anyone else remember this or am I making up memories?

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » March 13th, 2019, 4:02 pm

I thought the point of this ramp was that they would actually build *on top* of the ramp itself, and not just on the skinny lot next to it? Does anyone else remember this or am I making up memories?
That was the plan, the ramp was built for it and as of last year the architect confirmed they had received inquiries for residential to be built on top of it.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 14th, 2019, 9:34 am

Would it still be possible if this is built?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 14th, 2019, 9:41 am

Build a second residential tower on the north side of the Fleet Farm Ramp. Carve out some parking on the ground floor for a lobby and retail space facing 3rd Street. Carve out a small area of parking on the north face of all parking levels to provide elevators and stairs to the new residential tower. Bam, two towers on this block separated by a rooftop amenity deck.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 14th, 2019, 10:12 am

My understanding is that only the southernmost bay of the ramp was structured to carry vertical expansion.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 14th, 2019, 10:16 am

True, and that was a mistake. 3/4 of this full block, including the entire 3rd St frontage, has zero provision for future activity.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 14th, 2019, 11:23 am

I've spent some time searching, and can't find the actual plans for the Fleet Farm ramp. I know that they (after being forced to by the City) had dedicated some parking areas to be convertible to future commercial space. My recollection is that there were some additional areas where, should there suddenly be a very high demand for commercial space in that area, they could do additional conversions.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 14th, 2019, 12:49 pm

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 116619.pdf
The first floor or ground level of buildings shall be designed to accommodate active functions
by ensuring that parking, loading, storage, or mechanical equipment rooms are limited to no
more than thirty (30) percent of the linear building frontage along each wall facing a public
street, public sidewalk, or public pathway.
None of the parking garage sides meet the
active functions requirements. The above ground parking garage has frontage on four streets. As
proposed, the South 3rd Street, Park Avenue and Chicago Avenue sides of the above ground parking
garage are dedicated to parking spaces but the applicant is reserving space for future commercial,
residential, office or hotel uses along Chicago Avenue and South 3rd Street. CPED is recommending
that commercial, residential, office or hotel uses be included along Chicago Avenue as part of the
initial construction of the above ground parking garage. CPED is recommending that the City
Planning Commission grant alternative compliance to allow the above referenced sides of the above
ground parking garage to have less than the required amount of active functions.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 14th, 2019, 1:12 pm

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 117951.pdf
Staff Dvorak: No. The way that it will be built is that there could be future commercial on Third Street as
well. Chicago Ave is a designated commercial corridor in our Comprehensive Plan and we have policies both
in the comp plan and then in the Downtown East North Loop Master Plan that talks about commercial uses
along Chicago Ave and concentrating them there. Neither of those plans talk about concentrating commercial
uses along Third Street. On the flip of that, we have zoning code regulations that say ground floors of parking
garages everywhere, regardless of where they’re built, should be…not knowing what the market will be like
for commercial given the history of this area for so long and with the new stadium here and then 5000-6000
employees two blocks over, we felt that it was important to follow the comp plan and the Downtown East
North Loop Master Plan policies about putting that commercial on Chicago first and then letting the market
dictate when the market can handle additional commercial on Third Street.

Commissioner Slack: Makes perfect sense. My thought is that if we’re requiring them as part of this
submission to put in that use that maybe it should be best located on Chicago and Third because that’s going to
be a blank façade for a long time and it’s going to be market driven. I envision that could be five, six, ten
years down the line when we get any sort of infill on that side of the parking ramp. I think that’s something we
want to consider. How much potential square footage of commercial office mixed use is being proposed on
the Fourth Street side of the parking ramp?

Mike Ryan: The only other items that we disagree with, and again we thank Hilary for her work on the report
– it’s very thorough and it’s a lot of development…on page 38, item two, about the commercial, residential,
office, hotel uses being included along Chicago Ave as part of the initial construction of the above ground
parking structure. We would like to present that this is not really our decision to make. This is the MSFAs
and the City as the owners of that ramp. The decision to include development there of retail will really be
determined by the development rights for that block and that’s not something that Ryan is in control of at the
moment so we can’t speak toward that. Regarding the rain gardens, those are only proposed on the park side
or on the north side, on the development side of the park, not on the park side.

Frank James: I also wonder if there was something looked at…we have a rooftop deck that has a pretty
spectacular view of downtown now and there is a lot of concern about how much that view is going to be
impacted. That would be something that we’d like to see if that’s available. It seems that a lot of attention for
this development has been paid to the area facing 4th St and the park whereas the impact on 3rd St has taken a
back seat to that and I know that a third of the blocks facing 3rd St on the two mixed use buildings have a
planned residential component that I understand may be put forth to the city pretty soon, but I would caution
the city that 3rd St needs as much attention as 4th St does and we’re going to have a great amenity with the
stadium and park there and we want it to look nice and vibrant and active and safe. I think we want the exact
same thing for 3rd St and we need to give that the attention that it’s due. Right now we’re going to have a
seeded lot with a sidewalk and a big blank wall and hopefully a proposal is coming for that residential soon,
but who knows. I think that needs to be looked at and some considerations need to be taken for what’s going
to happen on 3rd St there for the next month, year or 10 years depending on what happens with that proposed
residential development. The parking structure that is proposed along 3rd St just to the west closer to the new
stadium, I like the addition of the commercial residential on the corner of Chicago and 4th, but on 3rd St, what is
going to happen there? I think the recommendation from staff to enhance the living wall is good and we have
the potential for future commercial retail uses along 3rd St that would take the place of some of that parking on
the ground floor, but as of right now it’s going to be dark and nobody using it at night. I understand market
forces are key to that, but it’s one thing to say it could be used for that in the future but then 20 years from now
it’s not. I’m wondering what mechanisms are in place that needs to be utilized by a particular time or a
particular percentage because just saying it has to be doesn’t mean it’s going to happen ever. The pedestrian
impact and vibrancy of this development needs to be looked at on all sides of the development and I just feel
that there is a lot more on 4th St than on 3rd St.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 14th, 2019, 11:52 am

It’s been a few months, anyone have any new information about this project?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » February 17th, 2020, 8:47 am

Noticed some activity at this site as I was walking in to work this morning. There was a Terracon truck and some equipment, looked like they were doing core drilling.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 17th, 2020, 9:11 am

Huh, maybe they're finally looking at getting started. Cool!
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 26th, 2020, 12:49 pm

Out there right now taking samples. :-)

Silophant

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site -25 stories / 294'

Postby Silophant » May 5th, 2020, 5:51 pm

The developer came back to the DMNA with an update. No major changes that would necessitate coming back to the CPC, but the 1ksf space on the ground floor closest to the stadium is now intended to be retail instead of a scooter charging room. They have secured an equity partner and are intending to break ground in August, with opening scheduled for spring 2022.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Postby Anondson » May 5th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Retail is nice.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » November 1st, 2021, 11:45 am

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/se ... =499284883

This is seeking FAA approval for the building. If the permit is to believed construction will being around 2/1/2022

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 17th, 2021, 5:48 pm

The parcel has officially changed hands. Looks like that FAA permit was dead on.

By my math, that puts us at more than 1350 market-rate units in the four downtown apartment towers that are in the early stages of construction or about to break ground: this, 240 Portland/O2, 21 N Washington, and North Loop Green, in addition to the ninety affordable units adjacent to 240 Portland and the hundred short-term rentals in North Loop Green. Guess those "downtowns are dead forever" takes from early in the pandemic aren't really panning out.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » December 19th, 2021, 1:36 pm

Well I say this as a downtown resident and now former downtown worker (my job has been converted to permanently remote), there are going to be huge challenges.

Is there data on where the downtown population works?

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » December 19th, 2021, 10:49 pm

Is there data on where the downtown population works?
I live downtown and thinking about my neighbors, only about 1/3 of them work downtown.

The rest either worked from home (pre-pandemic), outside of downtown or retired.

neck
Block E

Postby neck » December 20th, 2021, 3:50 pm