Vision Loss Resources Redevelopment - Lyndale & Franklin

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
John21
Rice Park

Vision Loss Resources Redevelopment - Lyndale & Franklin

Postby John21 » March 19th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Anondson
IDS Center

Southside - General Topics

Postby Anondson » March 19th, 2019, 2:49 pm

YAAASS!
(... but is this uptown?...)

I kinda wanna see the Lyndale presence and how the bike bridge access works out.

MNdible
is great.

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby MNdible » March 19th, 2019, 3:08 pm

I don't have access to the article, but my guess from what's visible is that this is just a "here's what you might be able to do" visual that's part of the RFP documentation, and doesn't actually represent a real proposal that a real developer has made.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 19th, 2019, 3:57 pm

YAAASS!
(... but is this uptown?...)

I kinda wanna see the Lyndale presence and how the bike bridge access works out.
It doesn't seem to change anything with the road or bike bridge.

I love this. And have been fantasizing for a while about a project here. I'm a homeowner on the 1900 block of Aldrich and am very excited to see something coming along. Can't wait to see where it goes and be an advocate. This massing isn't amazing, but I would love something active on that corner of lynn and Frank. Townhomes on Aldrich would be amazing. Yaaaay!

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » March 20th, 2019, 4:26 am

I'm in Nathan's neck of the woods, and I... um... actually woofed when I saw this.

(For the uninitiated, woofs are a fairly standard expression of ursine admiration -- but they are not often heard in an urban-planning context).

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » March 20th, 2019, 4:27 am

LOL

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » March 20th, 2019, 4:49 am

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/20 ... sell-site/

The swjournal covered this as well.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 20th, 2019, 7:22 am

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/20 ... sell-site/

The swjournal covered this as well.
This article has a second rendering showing up to 3 retail bays heading north on lyndale. That would be so great.

I hope a developer runs with it!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 20th, 2019, 7:32 am

I don't have access to the article, but my guess from what's visible is that this is just a "here's what you might be able to do" visual that's part of the RFP documentation, and doesn't actually represent a real proposal that a real developer has made.
This is correct. This is the broker's visualization of what might be possible, in order to draw the highest sale price. A 6-story stick box is definitely still in play.
Cushman & Wakefield’s study of VLR’s property produced conceptual renderings that show an apartment tower topping out at more than 20 stories and a three-story pedestal that steps down to shorter, existing buildings to the east, west and south. A shorter, stick-built apartment building is another possibility for the site, according to a Cushman & Wakefield press release.
Fingers crossed that someone other than Reuter Walton or North Bay get this one. Maybe it draws in Mortenson or Doran (who haven't really worked in "Uptown") and we do see something 10 stories or greater. The views from here would be incredible.

Here's the property lines, just for reference: https://gis.hennepin.us/property/map/de ... 2924440005. At 2.1 acres, this is one of the largest development sites to come up in "greater Uptown" in years. That's larger than any of the greenway-adjacent development sites, and just a tad smaller than the Sons of Norway site.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Re: Vision Loss Resources Redevelopment - Lyndale & Franklin

Postby Multimodal » March 20th, 2019, 9:16 am

Thanks for that Hennepin map. Turn on Hybrid mode, and it’s clear they wouldn’t budge an inch (sell land or an easement) for the bike bridge, which juts out closer to the car bridge along their property.

There’s some retail on Lyndale north of Franklin on the east side, but fades out quickly due to Lyndale turning into a highway there. Thinking much the same will happen on the west side.

Getting back to the Hennepin County maps. Looks like they update their satellite view every 3 years, and the last one is 2015. Any idea how long it’ll be before 2018 shops up as a satellite option?

samuelmcchesney
Block E

Proposed Tower in Wedge @ Frank/Lyn

Postby samuelmcchesney » October 7th, 2019, 9:27 pm

I didn't see a topic with this proposal. There are posters on the street about a meeting with ESG this Wednesday, October 9th at 6:30pm at Scout Workshop about the proposed tower that would replace the Vision Loss Resources/DBSM warehouse and empty lot where the Lyndale bike bridge exits. This would hopefully be a start to slow down Hennepin/Lyndale/94 traffic and make this area more walkable. The views would be extraordinary.

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Proposed Tower in Wedge @ Frank/Lyn

Postby Anondson » October 8th, 2019, 6:18 am

Six months ago is the thread for Vision Loss Resources.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 9th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 9th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 10th, 2019, 9:10 am

So. Not a tower.

rhettcarlson
Nicollet Mall

Postby rhettcarlson » October 10th, 2019, 1:40 pm

"Height varies from 6 to 8 stories, following the topography of the site." So basically a 5 over 1.

What a disappointment after seeing the 20 story rendering. A tower would have a great presence over the Henn/Lyn/94 interchange and command great views over downtown.

How did the 10-15 story Kenwood Gables and Kenwood senior living buildings get built in the 90s when there was way less momentum in urban infill, and all we can get in 2019 is 6 stories? This is one of the most premier development sites left in the city and to waste it on a run of the mill 5 over 1 is a shame.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 10th, 2019, 2:59 pm

According to Wedge Live, it's an IZ thing. They're going to ask for a variance to increase FAR from 1.7 to 2.7, a 59% increase. A 60% increase is the trigger for the affordable unit requirement under the interim IZ policy.

I don't know that a 20-story tower would have penciled out here, but there's been no other building in this boom where the developer made the jump to concrete construction and didn't build up to ten or eleven stories at least. Unless the specifics of the grade change on this site let them do wood construction, since it'll only be six stories above part of the site, and the lower levels count as walkout basement levels or something like that?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » October 10th, 2019, 4:07 pm

I'm puzzled by the frequent assumption that height equals a better building. On this forum, there's plenty of criticism of tall apartment buildings on top of parking podia, and just today there's a good comment about how well the 6-story building at 1500 Nicollet has turned out. Personally, I'm more concerned about the lack of affordable housing, a problem that can be partially addressed by increasing density, and I'm happy that at this stage in the economic cycle, amid so much uncertainty, large housing projects are still going ahead.

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » October 10th, 2019, 10:21 pm

Aren’t both of the 8-story buildings on Lake Street north of Bde Maka Ska (The Lakes and u/c LakeHaus) both reinforced concrete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 12th, 2019, 2:52 pm

"Height varies from 6 to 8 stories, following the topography of the site." So basically a 5 over 1.

What a disappointment after seeing the 20 story rendering. A tower would have a great presence over the Henn/Lyn/94 interchange and command great views over downtown.

How did the 10-15 story Kenwood Gables and Kenwood senior living buildings get built in the 90s when there was way less momentum in urban infill, and all we can get in 2019 is 6 stories? This is one of the most premier development sites left in the city and to waste it on a run of the mill 5 over 1 is a shame.
A. It wasn't a rendering. That was drawn up for the purposes of attracting the highest possible sale price, merely to show what *could* be built. It was never intended to suggest that anyone was planning to build something of that scale. I agree it would have been cool and had great views (heck even 10-12 stories would've stuck out in a big way)

B. Construction costs, labor costs, etc. Concrete just doesn't pencil out unless you're attracting the very highest rents. I doubt this site can match the rents of being on the lake, Nicollet Mall, etc. It's such a big site that Lennar is able to pack plenty of units in 6 stories...there's just no need for them to go higher.