Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » April 15th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Out of curiosity, I researched and reported the seven 2-bed 1-bath units available in my neighborhood. One bedroom rents are all over, including above and below this range, but all 2-beds (including condo mortgages) were within $1200-$1600. $1550 or $1575 for renovated units in 2.5 story midcentury walkups on Pillsbury vs. $1600 for new construction, hi-end finish on Nicollet.
https://twitter.com/devinforparks/statu ... 71809?s=20

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » April 18th, 2019, 2:58 pm

I bet the difference between $1200/month and $1500-1600/month is whether utilities are included.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » April 18th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Tenant pays electricity on all of them, with most of the units' HVAC consisting of electric baseboard and/or wall units. "Free heat" in the two downstairs duplexes I found.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » May 1st, 2019, 5:55 pm

Anyone know what’s going on with Viva Mexico Taqueria on 42nd St? They bought Flag Foods and were going to move back in there but nothing has gone on in there for months.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 1st, 2019, 7:21 pm

They were back in for a short while and then they closed down a few weeks later.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 4th, 2019, 11:43 am

Anyone know what’s going on with Viva Mexico Taqueria on 42nd St? They bought Flag Foods and were going to move back in there but nothing has gone on in there for months.
I don’t think he (Arturo) actually bought the building, just the business. It seemed things were going great and he was re-gearing the store portion with more Mexican foods to differentiate from Dokken’s across the street. Then shortly after opening, the building had no heat and maybe some other issues, and Viva Mexico closed for good. I think maybe he had a dispute with the building owners as to who was responsible for fixing the heat, etc. I really hope he didn’t get screwed financially in this whole deal, and hope he gets back in business somewhere soon. I hope I haven’t had my last California Burrito, because that sh*t was delicious

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 4th, 2019, 3:00 pm

Delicious AND ridiculously affordable. I miss this place so much and I keep sending Arturo messages encouraging him to keep going.

I wonder what he would need to operate in terms of square footage, equipment, lease expenses. Would be cool to see some others help him get this going again if that's still his desire. Meanwhile, hopefully the Flag Foods site can get redeveloped with housing.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » May 4th, 2019, 4:34 pm

I miss it too. Does he still have the trailer?

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't mind if Flag Foods got redeveloped. Though I'd rather have it used than sit there empty for years like the SE corner of 28th Ave and 42nd St.

GILBball
Metrodome

Postby GILBball » May 4th, 2019, 7:56 pm

A sign on the house next to the Kitty Klinic on 35th and Lyndale said 19 units (I think?) was being proposed there. That seems like quite a squeeze on one lot, so I wonder if either the Kitty Klinic building is getting roped in too?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 4th, 2019, 8:10 pm

I can't find where I heard about this, but apparently it will just be the one lot. 19 micro apartments.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 6th, 2019, 10:13 am

That seems... impossible?

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » May 6th, 2019, 10:47 am

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 6th, 2019, 1:47 pm

So, this appears to be a 45' wide lot. I'm skeptical you could make this plan work on a 40' lot.

Also, I know we've discussed this before and it's apparently within the letter of the law, but it seems kind of sketchy that we're going to start building a lot of new apartments that are completely inaccessible to people in wheelchairs.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » May 6th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Edit: Seems like an ethical blunder, but no rules are being broken.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 6th, 2019, 3:30 pm

I don't want to sound like a monster here, and I certainly don't want to return to a pre-ADA world. And I hope someone will correct me, as I have very limited experience here. But fewer than 6% of Minnesotans have an ambulatory disability. Isn't it in theory reasonable if there is some housing that is not wheelchair accessible, due to its specific constraints (like 19 miniature apartments on one lot)?

transplant
Metrodome

Postby transplant » May 6th, 2019, 3:44 pm

I am not sure how they are getting away with this (not elevator). I believe the code requires all levels to be accessible unless it is less than 30 occupants or some type of specialty space (i.e. maintenance/ mechanical). In Residential the occupant load for this building would be about 65 per floor so they exceed the 30 limit. I will be curious to see how this plays out.

Does somebody else have an idea of how they are achieving this?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 6th, 2019, 4:30 pm

How do you get to 65 occupants on a floor with five ~500 sq ft apartments?

My understanding (which may be wrong!) is that new apartment buildings have to have 20% of their units accessible, with the additional caveat that there has to be as much variety in accessible units as there is in the whole building. So, for example, you can't have a building with 2 accessible two-bedroom units on the ground floor and 8 one-bedroom units on the floors above, but this building, with 19 units that are all nearly the same layout, can have only four of the units be accessible and be fine.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 6th, 2019, 4:52 pm

I don't want to sound like a monster here, and I certainly don't want to return to a pre-ADA world. And I hope someone will correct me, as I have very limited experience here. But fewer than 6% of Minnesotans have an ambulatory disability. Isn't it in theory reasonable if there is some housing that is not wheelchair accessible, due to its specific constraints (like 19 miniature apartments on one lot)?
The issue isn't that the occupant needs the unit to be accessible, because you're right, in that case the occupant could select a unit that is accessible (assuming they can find one). But the problem becomes that if I rent that unit on the fourth floor, I've made it impossible for anybody in a wheelchair to come visit me. And not just people in wheelchairs -- really, anybody with any significant mobility issue (like you, if you accidentally sprain your ankle or something). As our population ages, this becomes a bigger and bigger issue.

I know elevators are expensive, and they're an impediment to the missing middle housing that everybody wants, but I think there has to be a certain size apartment building where we require it. Somewhat arbitrarily, I'd say that 12 units should be that upper limit (or anything above three stories).

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 6th, 2019, 4:56 pm

I never even considered visitors! See, this is why I asked. Thanks.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » May 6th, 2019, 5:20 pm

My understanding (which may be wrong!) is that new apartment buildings have to have 20% of their units accessible, with the additional caveat that there has to be as much variety in accessible units as there is in the whole building. So, for example, you can't have a building with 2 accessible two-bedroom units on the ground floor and 8 one-bedroom units on the floors above, but this building, with 19 units that are all nearly the same layout, can have only four of the units be accessible and be fine.
In buildings without elevators, the Fair Housing Law only applies to the ground floor. The number of accesible units is actually 2%, not 20%. But yes, round up to one unit for each type.

Fun fact, elevators actually aren't required in apartment only buildings as long as one type of each unit is accessible on the ground floor. So theoretically, you can still do 6 story walk ups, it's just unpleasant so nobody does it anymore.

The qualm for this project - I do not see a ground floor accessible unit that complies. Looking at the bathroom is what has me suspicious.