Hopkins - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Hopkins - General Topics

Postby Anondson » May 8th, 2019, 9:56 pm

Hopkins city council voted to deny a group care home’s amendment to zoning where they operate to allow them to operate caring for 7–10 people. Hopkins zoning says only 6 cared for residents as set by the state as the ground floor minimum, though Minnetonka in the same zoning allows for much more.

The large-lot neighborhood behind the property fence said excess traffic to the group care home would risk safety to the neighborhood. The home has been caring for more than 6 (under 10) for years with no complaints about traffic or safety all these years.

It is literally across the street from a multistory apartment building and kitty corner across the highway from another multistory apartment building. Also a property away from a busy private golf club’s clubhouse. But 8 patients in a care home that no one knew about was too much.

The issue came to the front because an inspection discovered the mismatch with patients and city’s rock bottom compliance with state law. I believe the reporting has it wrong when it states that 6 is the limit when I believe 6 is the bare minimum. Hopkins zoning caps at the state minimum.

https://www.hometownsource.com/sun_sail ... 651ac.html

I’m pretty steamed at my city. This is such a shameful mark against Hopkins.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » May 9th, 2019, 6:48 am

That's pretty disappointing... lets hope none of the "concerned neighbors" never need care in their later years... So short sighted.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » May 9th, 2019, 8:26 am

"Keep, historic Hopkins, your storied pomp!" cry the
Concerned neighbors. "Give Minneapolis your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to live quietly in peace,
The wretched refuse of your teeming main street.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost somewhere else,
Let's fasten shut the golden door!"

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 29th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Arby’s on Blake Road gossip heard on Nextdoor. Person who claims to have connection to the owner of the land says the owner refused to renew the Arby’s lease because they believe that because they are adjacent to the Blake Road Station that the value of the land for redevelopment in the short term is high.

The Blake Road station IS being built with a plain and small parking lot with the hope a future development on the Arby’s lot is willing to incorporate a public parking structure like was done with the Moline and would also desire to extend over the small lot that is being added as part of SWLRT.

Would be fascinating if that was able to happen before the LRT finishes, I wonder how that would affect the station plans during construction...

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » June 30th, 2019, 6:02 am

That would be a great re-use, especially if it could all be redesigned before any money is spent on the current plan.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » July 9th, 2019, 5:26 pm

Just noticed the River Bluffs trail is closed between 11th and Shady Oak coming home today. Not sure if its necessary related but might be a sign that some SWLRT construction in the area might be starting soon.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 9th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Almost certainly. All along the trail between The Depot and up to 5th I saw fence posts being put in right up to the edge of the trail.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 19th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 3.51.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 3.51.51 PM.png
Beacon Interfaith is proposing a four story multi family on an eternally vacant lot near Mainstreet, in walking distance to Shady Oak and Downtown Hopkins LRT stations.
From the agenda of the upcoming July 23rd Planning Commission agenda

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » July 19th, 2019, 4:14 pm

At first I though They where going to use the entire lot (which would of been about 2.5 acres) but it looks like they are only using the grass area and leaving the parking lot as is.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 19th, 2019, 4:33 pm

My understanding is the Catholic Church that owns the property will be having a charter school move in to a building they have. They likely will need the parking for them.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » August 12th, 2019, 8:10 am

I haven't been keeping track of it but I think the redevelopment of the Wendy's site on Blake might of fallen through given how I just biked by yesterday and there's a sign for a El Loro restaurant coming soon

Anondson
IDS Center

Hopkins - General Topics

Postby Anondson » August 27th, 2019, 5:24 pm

From today’s Planning and Zoning commission agenda, St. Gabriel Church at 1310 Mainstreet is proposing to re-establish a convent for up to 10 nuns of the Handmaids of the Heart of Jesus. The nuns currently reside in New Ulm and would relocate to Hopkins.

The building is the former daycare building in back, close to Central Park, the play pad and equipment will be removed and a garden will replace it.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » August 30th, 2019, 3:13 pm

I finally got a chance to see Cottageville Park, and I gotta say, the city really hit the ball out of the park. What a great urban park.

As for the 35 mph four-lane highway next to it 🤷‍♂️

Anondson
IDS Center

Hopkins - General Topics

Postby Anondson » September 1st, 2019, 6:26 am

Blake is a huge improvement from its previous incarnation where drivers were driving 45 because of its four 13’ wide lanes. But I dream all the time at the lost chance for the two-lane option that was proposed and not picked by the city council.

I don’t know how close the then-city council was to considering the 2-lane option that was presented, but the neighborhood to the east of Blake has long been outraged over rush hour cut through traffic trying to avoid the back up at the TH 7 traffic light. The council bowed to neighborhood anger and went with the four lane design because it would hold more vehicles during rush hour at the epic light length at 7.

But it is the traffic lights that cause the cut through. And the cut throughs are nearly all savvy surrounding neighborhood residents. The four lane version of Blake will not end the cut through driving.

Cottageville though, it’s only going to improve when the Cold Storage site is redeveloped in the coming years as a creek side trail will link to Cottageville from Cedar Lake Trail.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 25th, 2019, 6:27 pm

Hopkins’ 8th Ave ARTery was named by the American Planning Associations as one of 2019’s Great Places. They named 13 places, 4 neighborhoods, 5 public spaces, and 3 streets including 8th Ave in Hopkins.

https://www.planning.org/greatplaces/st ... ryhopkins/

Fwiw, in Minnesota, Seward and Kenwood were named a Great Neighborhood. The Grand Rounds and Rice Park were named a Great Public Space. And Summit Ave was named a Great Street.

Nice company to join!

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » September 27th, 2019, 7:38 am

The ARTery will honestly help establish the Hopkins Station as easily one of the best on the line and will make the walk from the station to the downtown seem extremely easy and pleasant. Very impressed with it.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » October 4th, 2019, 11:46 pm

The ARTery is amazing. It gets everything right, from safety & protection to comfort to efficiency to real placemaking. Bravo, Hopkins.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 25th, 2019, 8:23 pm

The Downtown Hopkins LRT Station parking ramp in the news with a lawsuit between the city and Doran.

http://www.startribune.com/kelly-doran- ... 563802612/

Doran built a public parking ramp inside his development across the future LRT station. Paid $10 million with the condition he would never own it or ever have to care for it, but 50 spaces be forever reserved for The Moline residents and guests.

The city has not taken ownership so Doran has had to pay interest on it for a couple years, and the Met Council hasn’t come through to cover the cost because Doran’s demand for eternal free parking for 50 vehicles, in a ramp owned by someone else, means federal funding can not be used to cover the costs of the ramp.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » October 25th, 2019, 9:36 pm

Huh, wonder how this happened. Don't know who's at fault for this, kinda just seems like a miscommunication between all three parties. I just hope they clear it up and get everything settled because because I have heard a few rumors that Doran might be interested in developing other areas in Hopkins and it would be a shame if this ends up souring his decision to do so
Although tbh does the downtown station really need parking since the blake station has a decent amount and it's looking like no developer wants to touch the empty that is shaping up to surround the shady oak station with a 10ft pole

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 3rd, 2020, 7:03 am

Former tire store could become a new brew pub on Mainstreet.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... pkins.html