Orchestra Hall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Orchestra Hall renovation

Postby John » June 1st, 2012, 7:58 am

$40,000,000 renovation with expansion of lobby. Construction to begin June 15, 2012. Rendering of the project:

John
Capella Tower

Re: Orchestra Hall renovation

Postby John » June 1st, 2012, 8:12 am

Very fun 3-d video of what the new Orchestra Hall will look like: http://www.youtube.com/embed/9v0HN5r-7P ... ></iframe>

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » June 1st, 2012, 12:24 pm

No big blue tubes? What an outrage!
Towns!

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » June 1st, 2012, 4:54 pm

so with the June 15th start date does that mean that they will start destroying Peavey Plaza on that date, too?

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » June 1st, 2012, 5:04 pm

Wow. I can hear the theme music from 2001: A Space Odyssey in my mind as this new enterprise is launched. Thanks for taking the time to establish this new electronic forum. I've missed the lively development discussions.

The new 3D clip of the Orchestra Hall redux is inspired and offers the wonderful indoor-outdoor quality.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 1st, 2012, 5:52 pm

^And Orchestra Hall can be the Monolith!

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » June 1st, 2012, 5:54 pm

Yes.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 2nd, 2012, 10:56 am

Mplser, Peavey Plaza and Orchestra Hall are different projects actually. I'll start a thread for Peavey Plaza.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Orchestra Hall

Postby 1200onthemall » June 23rd, 2012, 5:30 am

The redo is well underway, 2 lanes of 11th have been blocked off in prep for crane installation. Some of Peavy Plaza has been fenced off where the new addition will be built.

Lancestar2

Re: Orchestra Hall

Postby Lancestar2 » June 23rd, 2012, 8:59 am

The redo is well underway, 2 lanes of 11th have been blocked off in prep for crane installation. Some of Peavy Plaza has been fenced off where the new addition will be built.
crane installation? do you have links to Orchestra Hall plans? I will admit I ignored this one as I never visit the Orchestra Hall though have been tempted once or twice... I didn't think they would need a crane but guess they do.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 23rd, 2012, 9:43 am

Any time you are putting up Steel I beams and massive HVAC system you will need some sort of crane to reach the center roof of the building. I expect that they will reworking the old roof for better drainage and age.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on June 23rd, 2012, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 23rd, 2012, 10:13 am

Any time you are putting up Steel I beans and massive HVAC system you will need some sort of crane to reach the center roof of the building. I expect that they will reworking the old roof for better drainage and age.

oh ok good to know. :) So I guess they will be tearing out the plaza soon to right? I think If it's still there next week I might be able to go for one last walk through to say "Good Bye" :cry: I will miss that waterfall

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » June 23rd, 2012, 5:23 pm

If you head down to Peavy for one last look you won't find a waterfall, nothing has been operating all summer and I don't expect it to be turned back on. One thing you find plenty of will be panhandlers, drunks and drug dealing. Pretty disgusting IMO. I support the idea of "Occupy" but these people are doing nothing but generating 911 calls. Just my opinion.
Any time you are putting up Steel I beans and massive HVAC system you will need some sort of crane to reach the center roof of the building. I expect that they will reworking the old roof for better drainage and age.

oh ok good to know. :) So I guess they will be tearing out the plaza soon to right? I think If it's still there next week I might be able to go for one last walk through to say "Good Bye" :cry: I will miss that waterfall

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 23rd, 2012, 5:47 pm

If you head down to Peavy for one last look you won't find a waterfall, nothing has been operating all summer and I don't expect it to be turned back on. One thing you find plenty of will be panhandlers, drunks and drug dealing. Pretty disgusting IMO. I support the idea of "Occupy" but these people are doing nothing but generating 911 calls. Just my opinion.

You don't need to add the "just my opinion" disclaimer. One of the few decent public spaces in Downtown Minneapolis has basically been a homeless camp all year.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 23rd, 2012, 6:21 pm

I see the whole parade of vagrants from my balcony.There is virtually no policing of the area. If the city is going to tear it down, they should at least put a fence around it as a barrier. Maybe its a ploy by the city to get more people to support our wonderful new copy of The Chicago Millenium Park in front of Orchestra Hall. lol

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » July 10th, 2012, 7:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWmhiNQ ... ure=relmfu

This link provides the designers' perspective on what they are attempting to accomplish with the renovation of the lobby areas. The redux, to be completed next year, will be a beautiful upgrade for the south end of Nicollet Mall and sparkling amenity for The City.

swmpls
City Center

Postby swmpls » July 10th, 2012, 7:51 pm

They're making quick work of the old structure! Here's the construction blog that they've got going: http://www.minnesotaorchestra.org/give- ... ction-blog

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 11th, 2012, 5:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWmhiNQ ... ure=relmfu

This link provides the designers' perspective on what they are attempting to accomplish with the renovation of the lobby areas. The redux, to be completed next year, will be a beautiful upgrade for the south end of Nicollet Mall and sparkling amenity for The City.
The first impression I get from this video is how thoughtful the architects responded to the surrounding environment of the Orchestra Hall. I really think they "get it" about making the complex much more transparent and engaged with the city, blurring the distinction between "inside"and "outside'. The lobby spaces will be warm ,airy, and light. I also applaud them for doing a great design on a very limited budget.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 13th, 2012, 9:54 am

They've posted some exciting fly through renderings!!!

http://youtu.be/9v0HN5r-7Pw

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » August 18th, 2012, 7:39 am

The start of a large crane is going up this morning, I'll post a photo later.