Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby Anondson » June 13th, 2019, 2:19 pm

4th still would need to cross the freight and commuter rail. We don’t want that crossing at grade.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 13th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Even if the main sections of the viaduct were torn down through the North Loop, I'm thinking that there would still need to be some sort of a viaduct between 5th Ave N and 2nd Ave N. See the 5th Street Viaduct for reasons why.

Edit, what he said.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 13th, 2019, 3:14 pm

What’s the general end game behind the viaduct removal dream? Just move the freeway entrances farther out? Or is the idea that we get rid of them altogether?

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » June 13th, 2019, 10:21 pm

Get rid of the viaducts altogether and have the freeway ramps connect to Plymouth Ave where it crosses 94. Something like this concept from six years ago:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9lysoy59pvsrj ... 1.jpg?dl=0

FWIW, I keep meaning to come back to it and make some improvements. Mainly, I’d move the 394 ramps from Washington to 3rd to open some more land for development. OTOH, neither T3 nor the Dock Street Flats were a thing when I made this. Oops.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 14th, 2019, 10:08 am

My thought is keep it as simple and cheap as possible. Tear down the viaducts (and the access ramps to 94), don't make any new freeway connections, and let freeway traffic disperse as it may. If there is a problem area that develops, address it later.

On the south end, I'm not sure why everyone thinks 4th St (North Loop) needs to be be connected to 4th St (Downtown) with a new "local" bridge. That connection for cars doesn't exist today, so there's no compelling reason we need it in a viaduct-less future. And I say this as a fanatical adherent to the religion of "grid repair". I just imagine it would be more expensive than it would be worth. Put in a new bike/ped bridge at 4th St (to replace the one attached to the viaduct) and call it good.

On the north end, it would make sense to extend 4th St from 10th Ave N up to Plymouth Ave. That would help establish the grid (for future development) in that massive area of ROW currently taken up by the I-94 access ramps on the north end of the viaducts.

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Postby CalMcKenney » June 14th, 2019, 10:45 am

New to this viaduct removal conversation, but what do you guys think the realistic probability is of this happening? I've always dreamt of getting rid of that thing and letting the area develop.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » June 15th, 2019, 11:22 am

There was a twitter exchange a few months ago where the city revealed they are pursuing removal with MNDOT. The state has most/all the power on this decision, right? https://twitter.com/worthington6121/sta ... 2946419712

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 16th, 2019, 3:29 am

That’s awsome! Good that the city is thinking forward. Not holding my breath on MNDOT though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 17th, 2019, 8:29 am

I would love to see a Cost-Benefit on removing the viaduct. Some people would be upset, they love to charge onto there whipping through the intersection. I take the bike path adjacent at times and there is plenty of engine revving.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » June 19th, 2019, 1:33 am

Heard a rumor of 42 stories... don't quote me on that
I remember a proposed 25 story office building ... do you think this is office or residential?

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » June 19th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Heard a rumor of 42 stories... don't quote me on that
I remember a proposed 25 story office building ... do you think this is office or residential?
This is the old 25-story office building proposal that was cancelled...

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... r-and.html
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1634&p=37039&hilit=hines#p37039

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 19th, 2019, 4:33 pm

It would be great to have more office space, but I don’t know if the market could take it right now. I would imagine that it will either end up being luxury apartments or condos. I’m guessing that the area is zoned for very high density because of it’s proximity to downtown and to the train station.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 20th, 2019, 1:16 pm

So they just started work on the Hennepin Avenue reconstruction from Washington Avenue to12 street. Last year they worked on the portion that runs through the Lyndale Hennepin convergence. There is a gap between these two projects. What about the portion from 12th St. to 16th St.? It’s a little over a quarter mile in length.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » June 20th, 2019, 1:31 pm

It would be great to have more office space, but I don’t know if the market could take it right now.
Agreed. My gut feeling is that, while there will continue to be smaller companies that choose to locate downtown, we've seen all the big moves we're going to see for a while. By now companies have looked at it and have decided if it makes sense for them. But that is just a gut feeling, and could be wrong.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » June 20th, 2019, 2:13 pm

I don't do CRE anymore, but while there is a lot of vacant space in downtown, what is available is not what most tenants want. If you need 10-30k square feet of nice space with the ability to expand, your options are pretty limited or nonexistent. There is definitely demand for new office space, but to do it on spec without a big tenant lined up remains a hurdle.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 20th, 2019, 4:12 pm

Dayton's should help with that - or are those floorplates actually too big?

I'm not sure if RBC Plaza is still considered Class A, but a huge chunk of that will open up when RBC and the Pohlad companies move into the Gateway.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » June 21st, 2019, 8:43 am

Most of the recent residential growth in downtown St. Paul has been driven by Class B/C conversions. As far as I know, that hasn't happened at all in downtown Minneapolis in the past decade. How much vacant, older, narrow floorplate office is out there? Has there been any recent inventory?

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » June 21st, 2019, 8:49 am

There was talk a couple years ago of converting Northstar Center into residential. I haven't heard anything since.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 21st, 2019, 9:06 am

The Soo Line Building at 5th and Marquette was a office conversion to residential way back in 2012 or so, and the Rand Tower (on the same block!) and 317 2nd Ave S are both currently under construction to be converted from office to hotels. I can't think of anything else since I started paying attention to this kind of thing

Edit: the Luminn Hotel at 219 4th St S was also a conversion from vacant office space, I believe.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 21st, 2019, 9:18 am

The Foshay was also converted from (very inefficient) office to hotel.