Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby Didier » January 14th, 2013, 2:58 pm

No. St. Louis built a really sterile, cheap stadium and convention center in the mid-1990s to help lure the team from Los Angeles, and then the team had a vague clause in the contract stipulating that the stadium be among the top-third in the NFL by 2014 (something like that), which is why they are talking about this now.

This isn't an indication at all that the Vikings stadium would be obsolete by 2030.
So did we, it's called the Metrodome. The only difference I see is the clause to renovate.
What? The Metrodome wasn't built to lure the Vikings or Twins from another city, and despite being a terrible stadium it lasted more than 30 years.

As Mullen noted, St. Louis is an example of a category of stadium that is built with the intention to lure a team to a city. Another prominent example is the terrible Tampa Bay baseball stadium. The problem with these is that soon after luring the teams, the stadiums are quickly found to be substandard.

That's obviously not the situation going on in Minneapolis right now.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 14th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Met Stadium was built as a lure.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 14th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Met Stadium was built as a lure.
And in spite of all of the nostalgia, it was a dump.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 14th, 2013, 8:51 pm

No. St. Louis built a really sterile, cheap stadium and convention center in the mid-1990s to help lure the team from Los Angeles, and then the team had a vague clause in the contract stipulating that the stadium be among the top-third in the NFL by 2014 (something like that), which is why they are talking about this now.

This isn't an indication at all that the Vikings stadium would be obsolete by 2030.
So did we, it's called the Metrodome. The only difference I see is the clause to renovate.
What? The Metrodome wasn't built to lure the Vikings or Twins from another city, and despite being a terrible stadium it lasted more than 30 years.

As Mullen noted, St. Louis is an example of a category of stadium that is built with the intention to lure a team to a city. Another prominent example is the terrible Tampa Bay baseball stadium. The problem with these is that soon after luring the teams, the stadiums are quickly found to be substandard.

That's obviously not the situation going on in Minneapolis right now.
Oh I see.....I was focused on the "building a cheap stadium" argument than the rest of it.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » January 15th, 2013, 12:59 pm

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread, so move this to a more appropriate thread if needed.

Site Adjacent To Minneapolis’s New Vikings Stadium Location Selected For 2013 Urban Land Institute Gerald D. Hines Student Urban Design Competition

[url]http://www.planetizen.com/node/60249[url]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 15th, 2013, 1:17 pm

Fascinating. The design brief also suggests that the Thrivent property could be in play, as it is shown as a "Primary" parcel... https://s3.amazonaws.com/os_uploads/294 ... 0Brief.pdf

Thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1102

sdbroom
Block E

Postby sdbroom » January 15th, 2013, 2:05 pm

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread, so move this to a more appropriate thread if needed.

Site Adjacent To Minneapolis’s New Vikings Stadium Location Selected For 2013 Urban Land Institute Gerald D. Hines Student Urban Design Competition

[url]http://www.planetizen.com/node/60249[url]
I think that parcel has been used for the last few years.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 15th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Fascinating. The design brief also suggests that the Thrivent property could be in play, as it is shown as a "Primary" parcel... https://s3.amazonaws.com/os_uploads/294 ... 0Brief.pdf

Thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1102
I can't believe some students get to do this for "school"! I'd do it for free, or as an "informational opportunity", granted I had the time!! Very cool though!!!

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » January 30th, 2013, 9:53 am

So there's a blueprint in this story of the event level - identified as an HKS image dated Jan.10, 2013. It might be the very first public image of the new stadium. It's hard to make out but it looks like 3,646 seats will retract to allow for baseball.

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1008 ... ew-stadium

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 30th, 2013, 10:55 pm

Interesting. It looks like that blueprint has a gap in the bleachers, like at Gillette Stadium, which I'm not a fan of.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » February 1st, 2013, 11:54 am

Blaine company working on Vikings stadium project...http://abcnewspapers.com/2013/02/01/bla ... m-project/
Pierce Pini & Associates, Inc. has had larger contracts, but designing the stormwater management system and landscaping for a new Minnesota Vikings stadium is the most visible the 10-year-old Blaine company has worked on, said business owner and president Rhonda Pierce.

Pierce Pini & Associates, Inc. Owner Rhonda Pierce (pictured) and her team are excited to be working on the Minnesota Vikings stadium project. This Blaine company will be focusing on stormwater management, grading and drainage and landscaping.

Pierce grew up in Brooklyn Park and is a graduate of Park Center High School and the University of Minnesota. She is a life-long Vikings fan as are most of her employees and they are ecstatic to be involved with the construction of a new stadium.

Pierce said working on this project is melding her professional and personal lives because all her family members are avid Vikings fans. Her family had no fewer than 15 Vikings ornaments on their Christmas tree last year. Pierce’s husband has a Vikings.

[...]
[mod="Nick"]Don't post whole articles[/mod]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 1st, 2013, 4:45 pm

Blaine company working on Vikings stadium project...http://abcnewspapers.com/2013/02/01/bla ... m-project/
Pierce Pini & Associates, Inc. has had larger contracts, but designing the stormwater management system and landscaping for a new Minnesota Vikings stadium is the most visible the 10-year-old Blaine company has worked on, said business owner and president Rhonda Pierce.

Pierce Pini & Associates, Inc. Owner Rhonda Pierce (pictured) and her team are excited to be working on the Minnesota Vikings stadium project. This Blaine company will be focusing on stormwater management, grading and drainage and landscaping.

Pierce grew up in Brooklyn Park and is a graduate of Park Center High School and the University of Minnesota. She is a life-long Vikings fan as are most of her employees and they are ecstatic to be involved with the construction of a new stadium.

Pierce said working on this project is melding her professional and personal lives because all her family members are avid Vikings fans. Her family had no fewer than 15 Vikings ornaments on their Christmas tree last year. Pierce’s husband has a Vikings.

[...]
HKS has great people sourcing all of the local resources for the stadium. I wish some of the local architects were as nice to work with... ;)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 1st, 2013, 10:00 pm

Hah, I read Pierce and Pierce... anyone in Mergers and Acquisitions?

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » February 2nd, 2013, 7:35 am

Courtesy of MPR...

The stadium authority charged with building the Vikings a new home in Minneapolis will make an announcement next Friday regarding the builder of the new stadium.

Kelm-Helgen said. "We will have a vote on the (February) 8th and a public announcement of who the construction firm will be."

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » February 13th, 2013, 11:45 am

Courtesy of MPR...

The stadium authority charged with building the Vikings a new home in Minneapolis will make an announcement next Friday regarding the builder of the new stadium.

Kelm-Helgen said. "We will have a vote on the (February) 8th and a public announcement of who the construction firm will be."
If you are counting down the minutes, the Strib says the announcement will be Friday at 9 am in the Halsey Hall room at the dome.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » February 14th, 2013, 7:23 am

I would assume that for the construction company to be chosen, there would have to be some sort of bid process. So that means that there are some preliminary designs floating out there? When are the elevations or at least a rendering going to be released?

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » February 14th, 2013, 8:52 am

This story says drawings will be released in March or April. Also, a decision on a retractable feature hasn't even been made yet. So I'm guessing they're still making fairly major revisions to whatever designs exist.

http://finance-commerce.com/2013/02/vik ... ed-friday/

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » February 14th, 2013, 9:55 am

so place your bets on who will be chosen. i think they'll go local with mortenson, but it's really close. i think there will a movable wall but not a retractable roof. exciting to see this design in just a few weeks. this is either going to be a game changer for the cityscape or a major bummer.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 14th, 2013, 10:34 am

so place your bets on who will be chosen. i think they'll go local with mortenson, but it's really close. i think there will a movable wall but not a retractable roof. exciting to see this design in just a few weeks. this is either going to be a game changer for the cityscape or a major bummer.
I think Mortensen. They've got the gusto to do it all themselves without partnering with the AZ firm like KA would, and I think it would be political suicide for them to select a non-MN based company for this, given how much the state and city are forking over for it.

I think Zygi will end up ponying up the money for a retractable roof to maximize the value of the place for when he sells. Also to try to attract an MLS team even though they've stated their goal (rule?) no new teams will have shared facilities - tryign to build a soccer brand with smaller, full , stadiums.

Finally, what will make or break this stadium for me is not the stadium itself. It's the area surrounding the stadium that matters to me. How willing is the city is to re-zone or tax the areas around them to get rid of all the surface parking and under-utilized spaces. If the city can do 2 things I would be ecstatic: 1) Deliver on Rybak's plan to make Washington Ave safe and a place people can really walk or bike and eat, which would further connect the area to the U, and 2) Reduce the surface parking in the east end of downtown by 75%+ - and I'm serious. Mixed-use 3 -6 story housing (apartments, row homes, and condos will all do just fine) with a thriving retail and bar/restaurant scene to support it would be amazing. This is a downtown. Is "bargaiting" for a Vikings game any worse than tailgating? Look at how well it works for Wrigley, Yankee's Stadium, Fenway. Zygi can even be the guy to make money by doing it with his real estate companies. I just refuse to think it's a good idea to allow that much surface parking to continue to exist for 8-10 home games a year.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » February 15th, 2013, 7:47 am

for what it's worth, sid hartman says his "sources" tell him it will be mortenson.