Bicycle Infrastructure

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby DanPatchToget » July 21st, 2019, 12:35 pm

In regards to no access to the Cahill neighborhood besides a desire path (that I've used occasionally) why didn't they build a sidewalk , or less preferably, a crosswalk across 70th Street to access the existing sidewalk on the north side of the road?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 21st, 2019, 1:11 pm

I can imagine the area plan for Cahill/70th will get public access into the trail.

With the Pentagon Park offices under construction on the far west side it’s unfortunate to not have public access to 77th to there.

It’s not much retail, but those little areas could use some help. Wayfinding signs to get to the retail at Londonderry also.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 21st, 2019, 10:00 pm

Photo of the 169 underpass (viewed from Hopkins/Minnetonka, ready for the Nine Mile Creek Trail’s 2020 Edina connection to bypass Bren Road.
53E33A03-01E2-4B12-BDFC-3BDAA471073F.jpeg

schwinnletour
Metrodome

Postby schwinnletour » July 22nd, 2019, 9:21 am

As a recreational trail though, the up and down hills of the wooden boardwalk trail is super fun to ride between hwy 62 and hwy 100 in Edina. Feels like riding the wooden roller coaster, the American Eagle, in the Chicago burbs. The scenery is great too.

Minneapolis does a great job of making trails/lanes to easily travel across the city, going to places of interest. Initial planners ear marking land for parks made a huge impact, even the lakes in SW can be daisy chained to quickly move north or south.

Not having right-of-way hampers making non-recreation trails difficult.

There aren't a ton of places of interest in Edina for most (exception: Taco Libre is amazing).

schwinnletour
Metrodome

Postby schwinnletour » July 25th, 2019, 7:23 am

Good article about a U of M study on car passing distances in relationship to bicyclist gender in the Strib:

"When they analyzed the readings, researchers found — no surprise — that protected bike lanes offered the best protection. Cars stayed an average 7.5 feet from cyclists cruising along a bike lane separated from traffic by bollards. No bike lanes, more close calls. About 5% of the cars that passed the cyclists on four-lane Broadway came closer than 3 feet."

http://www.startribune.com/drivers-crow ... 513173082/

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » August 8th, 2019, 6:07 am

I can imagine the area plan for Cahill/70th will get public access into the trail.

With the Pentagon Park offices under construction on the far west side it’s unfortunate to not have public access to 77th to there.

It’s not much retail, but those little areas could use some help. Wayfinding signs to get to the retail at Londonderry also.
There is affordable housing going in at 70th & Cahill (a whole building’s worth!), and there will be a connection to Amundson Ave. from the trail.

Access to 77th from the trail will come with an eventual redevelopment south of Fred Richards Park, but the landowner seems recalcitrant.

Wayfinding on *all* Three Rivers Parks trails is terrible. I’ve fallen off the trail many times on many of their trails.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » August 8th, 2019, 6:14 am

Good article about a U of M study on car passing distances in relationship to bicyclist gender in the Strib:

http://www.startribune.com/drivers-crow ... 513173082/
Every city’s (and county’s and state’s) bike plan should specifically state an increase in women & girls on bikes as a goal. Then measure it.

That’s the only way we’ll get truly safe infrastructure.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 15th, 2019, 1:11 pm

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 15th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Finally!

Ohiosotan
City Center

Postby Ohiosotan » August 15th, 2019, 3:51 pm

Very impressive! Saint Paul keeps making large strides, maybe Downtown next?

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » August 15th, 2019, 4:23 pm

Great move forward. Although I wonder if it was just a bike trail with perhaps a streetcar line connecting from Green line in midway to the proposed Riverview streetcar line. Maybe that's a little to fantasy given not much space for development in this corridor. This should be a nice way for many people to bike into the midway, good progress. Great progress when you start to think about how extending the Midtown Greenway would eventually connect to the Aby Mill bike trail! That is going to be an EPIC bike ride the day Aby Mill bike trail and Midway Greenway are connected into one massive urban green bike trail. MY GOD that is going to be a massive bike highway! Granted there still is a big gap between both segments but that sure will change quickly.

rhettcarlson
Nicollet Mall

Postby rhettcarlson » September 6th, 2019, 10:22 am

The bi-directional bikeway on 28th street is just temporary for the Greenway detour, right? Really makes you think how much more useful 26th/28th would be if they were two way. Obviously signal reworking at Lyndale, Nicollet, Dupont, etc. is the biggest barrier, but I think that investment would pay off in much higher usage.

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Postby CalMcKenney » September 6th, 2019, 12:00 pm

The bi-directional bikeway on 28th street is just temporary for the Greenway detour, right? Really makes you think how much more useful 26th/28th would be if they were two way. Obviously signal reworking at Lyndale, Nicollet, Dupont, etc. is the biggest barrier, but I think that investment would pay off in much higher usage.
Yes, this a detour because a portion of the greenway is closed for the demolition and construction of a new bridge on Fremont crossing over the greenway. My understanding is this is just a temporary fix.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 6th, 2019, 8:48 pm

It should be permanent. And narrow the traffic lane.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

aaronm
Block E

Postby aaronm » September 11th, 2019, 8:08 am

Yeah it would be awesome to have bi-directional bike lanes on 28th and maybe someday 26th :)

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 13th, 2019, 12:10 pm

https://www.bolton-menk.com/news/connecting-park

A retrofit rom the engineer’s perspective.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » October 4th, 2019, 10:36 pm

https://www.bolton-menk.com/news/connecting-park

A retrofit rom the engineer’s perspective.
If only we prioritized bikes & pedestrians over cars.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 5th, 2019, 9:14 pm

MNDOT traffic engineer advocates sharrows and not lanes on the street he lives on in St. Louis Park, near the Edina border.

http://www.startribune.com/plan-for-woo ... 565857782/

I’ll admit the stretch of Wooddale has some epic huge old trees, it would be sad to lose some, but sharrows?

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » December 6th, 2019, 1:22 am

I would only support sharrows if they went above and beyond in traffic calming. I believe the Dutch have examples of bikes and cars sharing the road but bikes get priority.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 6th, 2019, 7:40 am

The tree removals are for parking bays, not the bike lanes. Cut the widening and you can save the trees.