Uptown (and LynLake) Development & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 18th, 2019, 12:10 pm

MNdible wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 11:15 am
Nowhere besides this forum did people think that these sites were going to be redeveloped just because a lease turned over.
I think it's a natural thought for those of us who know how that could be an outcome for when several adjacent businesses have their leases end around the same time in a hot redevelopment area. It's likely not true - but it makes sense that we all questioned it on here. Stranger things have happened!

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » January 18th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Eh, I saw some folks on Twitter who are definitely not urbanists or plugged into development news worrying that "condos" were going to go up. So it's definitely not just this forum.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 23rd, 2019, 6:36 am

10-Story proposal a couple block from Bde Maka Ska.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... tower.html

Looks like it’s on the south side of Lake St. at James.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 23rd, 2019, 9:17 am

Presented a six story version to the neighborhood previously, now they're going to come back at with a ten story version.... That's going to be a meeting worth attending.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 23rd, 2019, 10:04 am

Lisa Bender says this version includes 20% affordable units, that it is a response to the inclusionary policy.

https://twitter.com/lisabendermpls/stat ... 7587216384

rhettcarlson
Metrodome

Postby rhettcarlson » January 23rd, 2019, 1:52 pm

I was hoping this was for Ackerberg's Calhoun Square site when I first saw the image. If there is any place in Uptown that would get 10 stories and concrete, I thought it would be there.

Hope this new developer can pull it off as it would really up the ante for future dev... and I hope Ackerberg isn't waiting for the next cycle for their site.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » January 24th, 2019, 4:05 am

I'm hoping Ackerberg builds something better than Mozaic I and II on the Calhoun Square site. He seems to have a bad habit of dreaming big and then building Bloomington office park caliber buildings when his dreams fall through. Mozaic I was garbage from the get go but Mozaic II was supposed to be a nice building but is about as uninspiring as a "nice" building can be.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » January 24th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Here is the info on the 10-story building:
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 216744.pdf

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » January 25th, 2019, 12:24 pm

It's actually a really small building for 10 stories. Pretty good scale for this area I think.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby mattaudio » February 20th, 2019, 10:40 am

Oooh, Oberpiller is planning a 46 unit building with a small main floor corner restaurant space on the parking lot next to (what used to be) Dulonos. http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 217161.pdf

Exciting to see development creep east of Lyndale along Lake St.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Uptown (and LynLake) Development & General Topics

Postby xandrex » May 21st, 2019, 1:34 pm

HUGE Improv Theater to purchase the Art Materials building and will relocate to the location in 2020. Some fun renderings included with the article.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-li ... inneapolis

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » July 19th, 2019, 1:40 pm

I know this is it in the right topic, so feel free to put it in the place it belongs.

Does anyone know when the oldies will be opening at 26th and Lindale? Went by the building on the bus today and the outside looks mostly complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » July 19th, 2019, 2:21 pm

According to a photo that WedgeLive posted, it appears to be opening August 22. https://twitter.com/WedgeLIVE/status/11 ... 9547752448

MattW
Union Depot

Postby MattW » July 19th, 2019, 2:47 pm

If that's the grand opening, I'd wager a bet that they're open a week to 5 days before for a soft open.

Very excited to have this in the neighborhood!

schwinnletour
City Center

Postby schwinnletour » July 29th, 2019, 11:27 am

Article in SW Journal discussing parking availability in new-ish large multi-unit apartment buildings (people use parking that they are being charged for as part of the monthly rental fee):

From the article:
"At Track 29 apartments at 29th & Bryant, 97% of the 198 units are currently full and about 95% of the parking spots are used, according to Lincoln Property Company, which manages the building. Track 29 has a 1.2 parking spot-to-unit ratio, giving it about 238 parking spaces. About 90% of residents are using parking spots, according to property management.

The Be @ Calhoun Greenway building at 31st & Chowen has 185 apartments and 199 underground parking spots, 192 of which are in use, according to property manager Jason Phad. That building also shares an additional 80-space surface lot with the Calhoun Greenway buildings, which is mostly full, he said."

https://swjournal.com/news/2019/07/apar ... ing-spots/

alexschief
Rice Park

Postby alexschief » July 29th, 2019, 11:46 am

The principle of induced demand works whenever you provide a good to people for free, or bake the cost into what they are already paying. If you build parking people will fill it. If you don't build parking or charge a separate, market-rate fee for it, people will find alternatives. That's why it's essential to not just reduce minimums, but put pressure on developers to build less parking or unbundle the cost from the rent.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 29th, 2019, 6:17 pm

It certainly seems like most parking at city apartments is unbundled from rent, with exception to the 1960s walkups with ample surface parking in back. I seriously doubt underground parking is being provided free of charge (i.e. bundled in rent) in many buildings, if any at all. No savvy landlord would give away or bundle what they can charge an extra $50-100+/month for

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 30th, 2019, 7:31 am

If I was managing an apartment complex and 95% of my car housing was leased, I'd be raising car rent.

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Postby CalMcKenney » July 30th, 2019, 8:18 am

Interesting. I'm moving into Uptown in 2 weeks at Flux apartments and the parking was not included, and it was an additional $125/mo. Every other apartment in that area had parking cost extra and all had full parking garages. One of the interesting things happening with my age group (I'm 22) is a lot of us are reverse commuting i.e. living in Minneapolis and commuting to the suburbs for work. This means that most people around these areas still feel the need to own cars as the public transit out to the suburbs isn't attractive for a variety of reasons. I think the SWLRT will help a ton with reverse commuters going to work in Eden Prairie and Minnetonka, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Cambourine
Block E

Postby Cambourine » July 30th, 2019, 9:16 am

CalMcKenney wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 8:18 am
Interesting. I'm moving into Uptown in 2 weeks at Flux apartments and the parking was not included, and it was an additional $125/mo. Every other apartment in that area had parking cost extra and all had full parking garages. One of the interesting things happening with my age group (I'm 22) is a lot of us are reverse commuting i.e. living in Minneapolis and commuting to the suburbs for work. This means that most people around these areas still feel the need to own cars as the public transit out to the suburbs isn't attractive for a variety of reasons. I think the SWLRT will help a ton with reverse commuters going to work in Eden Prairie and Minnetonka, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Same boat. I'm 23 and moving to an Uptown apartment in two weeks but I work in Eden Prairie. Having the SWLRT will be phenomenal and likely eliminate my need to own a commuter car. Until then, the pleasure of city living will need to be paired with the burden of car ownership and $150/month for parking.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”