Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Postby grant1simons2 » August 8th, 2019, 8:14 am

That's railroad property. l doubt the city had any say

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 8th, 2019, 9:51 am

Brenns
City Center

Postby Brenns » August 8th, 2019, 1:01 pm

It just seems an odd course to take, given that the wedge-shaped piece of land along Central containing the roundhouse has been lying unused and is due for redevelopment once remediation on the site is complete.

Part of me wonders if one or more potential developers had expressed interest in the land but wanted nothing to do with stabilizing/redeveloping the structure, and the railroad agreed to quietly take care of the problem in the mean time.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » August 11th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Mac's is moving onto 310 E Hennepin!

Wonder what's happening with the Union building. There were rumors of redevelopment last year. Same with the Aveda site.
Union Bank is expanding into the Mac's space. Don't know if it will be customer-facing or just offices. I read about it in the Minneapolis Labor Review.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 12th, 2019, 7:35 am

Characterless? Jim's Coffee Shop from the film Untamed Heart is characterless?
Underrated local movie. Christian Slater lives in the basement at Florence Court.

GILBball
Metrodome

Postby GILBball » August 15th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Third(?) Solhem project announced for the same few blocks in Northeast.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 220287.pdf

Not really much to say about it, except that it really feels like these Solhem projects are a noticeable step up in quality from the other mid-rise projects being built/proposed recently. I actually quite like them.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 15th, 2019, 8:47 pm

It's a Solhem project, so of course there are a bunch of balconies hanging over the property line into the ROW, and setback reductions that can't be mirrored across the shared property line. It's crazy how other developers can make their project works without resorting to these shenanigans, but even crazier that the City keeps granting these requests.

squrtis
City Center

Postby squrtis » August 15th, 2019, 8:49 pm

Third(?) Solhem project announced for the same few blocks in Northeast.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 220287.pdf

Not really much to say about it, except that it really feels like these Solhem projects are a noticeable step up in quality from the other mid-rise projects being built/proposed recently. I actually quite like them.
Yeah, this is totally fine.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 16th, 2019, 11:42 am

Solhem seems to do a generally good job of having handsome, if forgettable, modern buildings.

Not sure how this one will end up, but what I dislike about them is they seem to have the consistently worst interior layouts.

J2arkitekt
City Center

Postby J2arkitekt » August 21st, 2019, 7:07 am

This Solhem proposal is on a narrow street that is heavily trafficked by pedestrians. It has so many underwhelming design ideas wrapped into one. The building is twice the height of anything within three blocks (21 feet higher than what is allowed by zoning after any bonuses). They fail to come close to the 50% first floor commercial requirements for a mixed use density bonus. They are asking to build 5’ from the neighboring single family homes. They want to put a curb cut for 100+ vehicles to use through this highly trafficked pedestrian sidewalk (it isn’t just the neighborhood coffee shop and chipper, there is an elementary school adjacent). And then the thing is clad in a mix of materials, 40% of which is painted fiber cement siding and paneling. They aren’t even trying to meet the code, let alone respect the context.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » August 21st, 2019, 8:09 am

I don't quite understand why they've arranged the lobby and parking entry on the west side of the building and the retail spaces on the east side. Given the existence of commercial west of the building, doesn't it make more sense to string the commercial uses together instead of separating them by a lobby and a driveway?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 21st, 2019, 8:31 am

The transit corridor is University (to the east) and that strip on 13th east of University is pretty prominent, so I'm not bothered by that decision.

drgrant
Block E

Postby drgrant » August 26th, 2019, 1:36 pm

The building is twice the height of anything within three blocks (21 feet higher than what is allowed by zoning after any bonuses).
I don't necessarily disagree with the rest of your comment, but there's an 8 story apartment building 600 feet southwest of the site.

J2arkitekt
City Center

Postby J2arkitekt » August 26th, 2019, 2:46 pm

The building is twice the height of anything within three blocks (21 feet higher than what is allowed by zoning after any bonuses).
I don't necessarily disagree with the rest of your comment, but there's an 8 story apartment building 600 feet southwest of the site.

True, but that building has generous setbacks on all sides - 25’ on the street, 80’ to the interior lot line (100’ to the commercial building on that side), 75’ at the rear, 80’ from the curb on the corner side (12th). The context of every project matters. The proposal ignores context completely.

Ohiosotan
City Center

Postby Ohiosotan » September 9th, 2019, 7:45 pm

Solhem has withdrawn the project on 13th per Maeve's Cafe.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0311088113

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 10th, 2019, 6:25 am

Thank god that retail node will be saved from the curse of having more customers.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 10th, 2019, 9:37 am

I don't know. This was a somewhat bad project to begin with. Definitely need more retail space on their ground floor. The massing was just a big too bulky? Northeast could benefit from a Lander project to show how to fit density and active space into the neighborhood adequately. I also think we need major transportation improvements in Northeast to support this growth (I am the growth)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 10th, 2019, 10:36 am

If I was the Sheridan association, I'd be doing an access management study on 13th St NE. It runs parallel and close to Broadway. Does it really need traffic in both directions? What if 13th St NE was one lane one way on certain blocks where parking is required, and possibly even no traffic on a block or two of the stretch - maybe Main to 2nd. Imagine a tree-covered piazza with cafe dining, great pedestrian space, etc. The biggest challenge would be reaccomodating the fire station at 2nd, but that should already be on the table for a redevelopment site.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 27th, 2019, 1:01 pm

I heard the New Bohemia at Hennepin and University closed. Has anyone heard much about why, or if anything new is expected to replace it soon?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » September 27th, 2019, 1:09 pm

I heard the New Bohemia at Hennepin and University closed. Has anyone heard much about why, or if anything new is expected to replace it soon?
There is a "Space for Lease" sign on the door now, so I doubt anything is in the immediate pipeline.