Fullertown Flats - 4736 Grand Ave

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Fullertown Flats - 4736 Grand Ave

Postby mattaudio » September 11th, 2019, 12:47 pm

http://www.tangletown.org/proposed-deve ... nd-avenue/
A proposed project to replace two residential buildings with a four story residential building would be built at 4736-40 Grand Avenue. The new building height would be 47 feet and consist of 23 studio, one and two bedroom units, with amenity spaces on the first and fourth levels. Parking would be located at grade, access for which would be a shared drive with the neighbor to the South.

The property owner is seeking variances to reduce the minimum interior side yard setback along the north property line from 11 feet to 9 feet and reduce the minimum parking requirement from 15 spaces to 10 spaces.

MNdible
is great.

Re: Fullertown Flats - 4736 Grand Ave

Postby MNdible » September 11th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Built Form:
Interior 2

The Interior 2 district is typically applied in parts of the city that developed during the era when streetcars were a primary mode of transportation, in the areas in between transit routes, and on select streets with intermittent local transit service.It is also applied adjacent to the Corridor 4 and Corridor 6 districts, serving as a transition to lower intensity residential areas.

Built Form Guidance: New and remodeled buildings in the Interior 2 district should be small-scale residential. Individual lots are permitted to have up to three dwelling units. Multifamily buildings with more than three units are permitted on larger lots. Limited combining of lots is permitted. Building heights should be 1 to 2.5 stories.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 11th, 2019, 1:35 pm

What good outcomes we're getting from the 2040 plan. So much downzoning.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » September 12th, 2019, 7:28 am

It is weird how the 2040 plan did not increase allowances here at all. And why? Just because it happens to be farther from the core?

This is a fully commercial node. Every corner is a commercial building (except for the park), and there is already a 2.5 story building within a building or two from each corner. And the big density increase allows... absolutely nothing different here at all.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 12th, 2019, 8:45 am

I guess I find it more strange that it's currently zoned R5 than that it will be Interior 2 in the future, although more neighbors might help revitalize what feels like a pretty under used commercial node.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 12th, 2019, 2:00 pm

The R5 zoning was probably legacy going back decades. Mpls 2040 seems to be the first time the plan got really granular down to the parcel and will actually result in a number of properties being rezoned/downzoned. While this commercial node is not on any transit lines (transit on Grand cuts off at 46th), the 2040 plan really should have looked at legacy commercial nodes like this to make sure they didn't get rezoned/downzoned into nonconforming status. I agree 100% that density should be allowed/encouraged here, despite the lack of transit, for the specific purpose of keeping the commercial node viable.

FWIW, I don't think the Built Form maps were truly looked over by CPED staff at a parcel-by-parcel level. At least for the initial pass, they took a GIS file of transit routes and extrapolated out from there. I caught an error in my neighborhood where a portion of the Route 46 was initially guided for Interior 1 rather than Corridor 4 like basically all bus routes. Elsewhere near my neighborhood, 50th Street east of Nokomis was designated Corridor 4 when it has no transit service whatsoever. I'm not faulting anyone at CPED, I'm just saying that the plan certainly isn't perfect on a parcel-by-parcel basis and it is actually pretty dangerous to treat it as such. There are already Councilmembers and Planning Commissioners who believe that because the plan was so specific and granular, that no exceptions should be made ever. One Planning Commissioner said as much at a recent meeting, though I don't recall the specific site or project.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 12th, 2019, 3:29 pm

I remember commenting with quite a few addresses where old streetcar corner buildings were downzoned to Urban Neighborhood / Interior 1, such as 48th and 4th. Still, more were missed.

Regarding 48th and Grand, it doesn't have 18G buses, but does have a U and Downtown Ltd Stop bus during rush hours.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 29th, 2019, 7:22 pm

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » November 7th, 2019, 9:30 am

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » November 7th, 2019, 9:51 am

The city needs to get moving on entirely eliminating parking minimums. This is 20+ units down the drain that would've been far more affordable than the norm for this area. Entirely because neighbors weaponized the quasi-judicial process to produce a result that, while technically correct, is completely out of step with the intent of the city's policies.

schwinnletour
Metrodome

Postby schwinnletour » May 22nd, 2020, 1:02 pm

Well the neighborhood NIMBY-Nextdoor coalition got the rent increased for the future tenants of this project (5 units removed for 8 second floor parking spaces).

On the nextdoor app, they always bemoan the fact that rent is not affordable. When the project costs the same amount but there are 5 less units (a decrease from 23 to 18), you still need to make the monthly rent intake work out.

It's interesting that Nextdoor has become the preeminent NIMBY mobilization platform. I liked it initially when I signed up in 2015-ish but it's gotten toxic since.

"Plans for a four-story apartment in Tangletown are back on track after the developer removed five units from the building and added eight new parking spaces on the second floor."

https://www.southwestjournal.com/news/d ... eapproved/

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » May 22nd, 2020, 1:42 pm

I agree about Nextdoor, I have stayed away from it for 6 months. It's not a constructive platform. I find it ironic that they're requiring so much parking when suddenly the world has less need for cars. Between COVID, a slowing economy and aging population I wouldn't be surprised to an accelerated and downturn in vehicle miles traveled over the coming years.