West End area - St. Louis Park / Golden Valley

Twin Cities Suburbs
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: West End / Central Park West Development - St. Louis Park

Postby Anondson » May 10th, 2019, 5:14 pm

I’ve always found the underground parking well parked if not full. The claim in the story that it was disfavored by patrons didn’t match my experience and I was going to start parking there.

I guess I’ll stick with the structure.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 10th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Yeah you always drive around forever only to end up in the far corner anyway. The above ground ramp is probably worse though, from a pedestrian standpoint. It’s a maze seemingly not taking into account that you have to get out of your car after parking.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 10th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Haven't been there in years, but went a lot the first 5 years it was open. Always parked in the under group portion. And that was part of the appeal of going there. When weather is bad, you park in the heated garage, and when you come out you are no more than 100 feet from the front door of the establishment you are going to. Not sure how anyone could complain about that!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 29th, 2019, 9:27 pm

September groundbreaking for the speculative office portion of Central Park West.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... ember.html

I’ve been waiting for this office for years. When the apartments were built with east of Utica with the AC Hotel they added an open space where 16 should be link to the frontage road. But the open space has looked so unpleasant with the unstarted construction zone on the south half of this space.

Having the office tower complement to the space will really help fill it in.

rmc
City Center

Postby rmc » June 3rd, 2019, 1:13 pm

Speaking for myself, the retail at West End doesn't create much of a destination district. My wife isn't drawn to much there either, but she works and shops downtown. Creating a successful retail district also requires... successful retail. It seems better designed as an entertainment district, but kind of a self-defeating compromise in design. *shrugs*

colink
City Center

Postby colink » June 13th, 2019, 3:25 pm

Does anyone know what is going in next to the AC hotel across the street from Olive Garden? It looks like at tower crane was going up this morning when I drove by.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » June 13th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Elan West End. 164 units. Not to be confused with the Luxe apartments that will go where the Olive Garden is 50 feet west.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » June 14th, 2019, 10:05 am

Elan West End. 164 units. Not to be confused with the Luxe apartments that will go where the Olive Garden is 50 feet west.
Between these two projects and the spec office going up this fall will West End be completely built out? I'm just trying to think of where there's open space left. Maybe one of the parking lots?

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » June 14th, 2019, 10:23 am

After Elan, Luxe and 10 West End office, the only parcel left will be for the South office building. Then West End will be full.
Personally I would guess there would eventually be redevelopment of the older small office buildings just south of West End.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 14th, 2019, 10:45 am

If retail/restaurant/entertainment continues to struggle here, I'd expect to see some of that replaced with housing in the future.

West End really messed up in putting Punch Bowl Social at the far south end of the retail. Not only is it too far from the theater (promote synergy!), they very easily could've put it in the former Toby Keith's space to the north, which had already closed. Had they done so, that southernmost retail building could've been demolished and replaced with housing. They could still do this, either with an expensive relocation of Punch Bowl, or if/when it fails. It is literally the only business in that building...I'm not sure why the leasing agents / owners opted to put Punch Bowl in there.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 14th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Between these two projects and the spec office going up this fall will West End be completely built out? I'm just trying to think of where there's open space left. Maybe one of the parking lots?
Maybe the hard-to-get-to old Office Supply store and adjacent mini strip. Or the parking lots of Parkdale, or the industrial space and mini storage?

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » July 8th, 2019, 11:36 am

I heard about Lucky Cricket closing on the 4th for remodeling. Anyone else find it strange to close for remodeling 8 months after opening? The Facebook page says it will only be closed for a couple of weeks, but it's following a post the same day that said it would be open 8am on the 5th. Doesn't sound promising to me.
I walked by yesterday and there wasn't any visible remodeling activity from the outside.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » July 8th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Empty storefronts in this area seems to look worst than in other commercial spaces.

trafficeng985
Block E

Postby trafficeng985 » July 9th, 2019, 7:48 am

I heard about Lucky Cricket closing on the 4th for remodeling. Anyone else find it strange to close for remodeling 8 months after opening? The Facebook page says it will only be closed for a couple of weeks, but it's following a post the same day that said it would be open 8am on the 5th. Doesn't sound promising to me.
I walked by yesterday and there wasn't any visible remodeling activity from the outside.
If I had to guess, they are going to re-train their staff (or train for the first time? service was bad) and readjust the concept a bit.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 10th, 2019, 8:31 pm

You think they’ll take this opportunity to remove the gimmicky door handle shaped like Zimmern’s glasses?

trafficeng985
Block E

Postby trafficeng985 » July 11th, 2019, 8:10 am

Jason DeRusha talked with Zimmern, and he said they are truly doing a remodel and reopening.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 2nd, 2019, 7:20 pm

The speculative office will begin construction next week.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... -west.html

It’s still remarkable how large that parking structure is going to be. Seems it is so much that it’s made for more spec office later.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 3rd, 2019, 12:06 pm

The article mentions that there's a planned second phase consisting of a similar tower just to the south.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » October 8th, 2019, 11:05 am

Can Can Wonderland is doing a 3 day pop up in the old Love Culture space this weekend. It's Jurassic Park themed and they will be showing the original movie on Friday and Saturday on the plaza. Might need some extra blankets for that with the weather we're expected to get.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 24th, 2019, 4:04 pm